Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Read about this on bimmer forums. It was a M5!

Holly loss of young life...

Too much vehicle and money for youth....
No, not necessarily too much vehicle. More like too little common sense instead.

See my former post:

mmarshall

There is no reason why young kids, IF they are responsible, can't drive powerful cars safely. I myself grew up in the muscle car era and drove 350-400 HP GTO's, Road Runners, Boss Mustangs, etc....safely with no problems at all. My ONLY accident was in a compact, 145 HP Valiant, on an icy road....fortunately, it was not severe, the car was not totalled, and no one was hurt.

The problem is not the cars themselves, but the irresponsibility, low intelligence level, and sense of invincibility of too many young people. This is where education and training come in.....kids have simply GOT to learn to listen (like I did) to the warnings of what can happen from stupidity, regardless of peer pressure. There is simply no other alternative.
Old 02-11-08, 03:29 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ You sir and even myself (85' Stang tuned heavily back when I was 17 in 87') are the exception. You have to look at the BIG picture. And for the most part they do NOT need these types of cars.
Old 02-11-08, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KKelly
My buddy just bought his stepson one of his company pick up trucks for his first car. It is slow and ugly but in great condition and perfectly maintained. It was only $1600. The kid hates it but too bad for him. They could afford much more but what's the point. Meanwhile, on the IS-F board two 18 year olds are talking about their new rides. Seriously, putting aside safey concerns, WTF are these parents thinking? A $60k first car?

Great line from a recent sitcom I was watching with my 7 year old. Parent to teenager:

"You don't have money. I do. You're broke."

Even my daughter had to laugh at that (but she did remin me she has $30 in her wallet).
I'm sorry but we post maybe at least twice a year about some kids in a BMW that race or do something ill advised and die and you bring up the 2 kids in an IS-F that probably doesn't have 300 miles on it.

I did a search on BMW and crash and well..too many links to post.

I am not a parent but while it might not make sense to us, if you can afford it, many parents shower their children with lavish gifts. Anyone here watch that MTV show "Sweet 16"? You would all puke!

Old 02-12-08, 04:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sorry but we post maybe at least twice a year about some kids in a BMW that race or do something ill advised and die and you bring up the 2 kids in an IS-F that probably doesn't have 300 miles on it.

I did a search on BMW and crash and well..too many links to post.
This may be slightly off-topic, but I didn't know the IS-F was on sale yet (though I know you drove one at a promotional meet). It's not due in this area for another two months.

You make a good point about BMW crashes. Of course, there are exceptions to all drivers, but I've posted many times about how, in general, V8 Mustang drivers are the most reckless I've ever seen.....with BMW M drivers probably in second place. And Mustangs, when recklessly driven, are even more risky than BMWs because they don't have BMW brake/steering/handling/chassis refinement and are less able to avoid potential accidents.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-08 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 09:21 PM
LexFather

UPDATE

Four months after five young men died in a horrific car crash at Jumbolair Aviation Estates near Ocala, authorities have made two arrests in connection with the incident.

Today, authorities arrested Natalie Thayer, 20, according to the Marion County Jail. Investigators believe that Thayer, 20, let the victims onto Jumbolair's property, accordng to Cpl. Mark Weber of the Florida Highway Patrol. She has been charged with making false statements to law enforcement officers, Weber said.

In the days following the January 26 crash, Thayer denied inviting the victims and others to a party at Jumbolair in the early hours of January 26, but Weber said investigators have gathered over 20 witness statements indicating otherwise.

Thayer's father, Jeremy Thayer, is one of Jumbolair's owners.

On Tuesday, Jolane McAlister, 43, turned herself into authorities after they secured a warrant for her arrest on charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, holding an open house party, and providing alcohol to minors, Weber said. She was released after posting $2,000 bond.

Weber said that Joshua Ammirato, 18, James Hime, 19, Isaac Rubin, 20, Jacob Casey, 19, and Dustin Dawe, 19, attended a party at McAlister's horse farm, near Ocala, on the night of January 25.

Early the following morning, all five were killed while riding in a BMW driven by Ammirato after it flew off the end of a runway at nearby Jumbolair. The BMW soared about 200 feet after leaving the runway before crashing into a tree. All five men were ejected and killed instantly, Weber said. Toxicology reports found that Rubin had a blood alcohol level of 0.103, Weber said. None of the other men had detectable levels of alcohol in their systems at the time of the crash, and investigators are confident that Ammirato was not drinking on the night of the crash.

In the days following the crash, rumors swirled speculating that the victims had been involved in a drag race on Jumbolair's runway. Weber said that investigators have found no evidence of another car being present during the incident, and that they believe the crash was just a tragic accident.

"They were just testing the car, period," Weber said. "They wanted to test the speed and they ran out of runway."

Old 06-04-08, 09:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are they witch hunting? This was a result of Darwinism shining through.
Old 06-05-08, 05:42 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The charges announced seem to be minor issues. They may have only been brought due to the deaths of the individuals concerned, but they aren't directly related to them. Making false statements to police and serving alcohol to minors are crimes, regardless of whether they had direct relevance to the incident. It'd be a different issue (and probably worthy of a "witch hunt" claim) if they were trying to charge them with involuntary or other types of manslaughter, but there's no indication in that article that the police are doing so.
Old 06-05-08, 02:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think they want to make a example of those who 'enabled' this accident so something similar might be less likely to happen.
Old 06-05-08, 02:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think they want to make a example of those who 'enabled' this accident so something similar might be less likely to happen.
Yep, that will happen.