Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 04:18 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
They would have all died still. A car went off the overhead freeway while racing in my area and it is nowhere near 80-85ft up. At least I don't think it is that high. Maybe 60 ft. Anyway, the car split in half at the firewall and the driver still died. he was DOA.
On which part of the H?
Old 01-27-08, 09:29 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The blue and white propeller didn't work??
Old 01-27-08, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
they also said it's elevated about 80-85 feet off the rest of the field...
It said: "They believe it traveled over the 80- to 85-foot embankment at the end of the airstrip and struck the tree about 15 feet above the ground.".

Edit: I take back what I said after looking at the video.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-27-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-27-08, 10:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They did? I don't see how that's possible. Perhaps it meant the car went 80-85 feet through the air, but no way that embankment is 80-85 feet high.
You've been there right ? You are close enough to go there & have a look ...
Old 01-27-08, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
sure why not.

in the US, they can sue for any reason.
True but just because someone can sue for anything doesn't mean they're going to win. The VAST majority of 'frivolous' lawsuits get tossed out.

If someone sued BMW over this they're going to lose.

****, i remember someone was sueing Apple because the volume was to loud on the iPods because the idiot kept the volume at max. I am going with that mentality that, someone wants to blame someone else because they aren't smart enough to know they are the one causing the problem.
You would prefer the government just outlaw suing for certain reasons?

I don't like frivolous lawsuits either, but they come with being a relatively free society. I've no doubt you have these kind of suits in Canada too, but with 10% of the population and a much more regulated media (including straight government propaganda out of the CBC) maybe you don't read about or see it.

The unfortunately outcome of all these lawsuits though are the ridiculous labels and warning sheets on pretty much everything these days. The 'instructions' for many things you buy consist of 90% warnings and 10% instructions.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-27-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-27-08, 10:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
You've been there right ? You are close enough to go there & have a look ...
It's a gated community. I know the article or video said there may be a way of sneaking in but I don't plan to do that.
Old 01-27-08, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

About the elevation - in the video at the bottom of the page at the link below the sheriff says (I think) the airfield is elevated 85 feet above the surrounding area (at that end at least - maybe it rises up from one end to the other so planes can slow more quickly ??).

So as the driver got near the end of the runway and realized he'd run out of it, he veered a bit to the left but shot off the top of the grassy edge of the embankment like a missile, traveled 200 feet through the air and arced down into the tree, hitting the tree 15 feet off the ground! WOW.

And JessePS - you've asked what would have happened if there weren't a tree there, I suspect they would have hit the ground VERY hard (possibly upside down too) and still all been killed.
Old 01-27-08, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default UPDATE - he was posting on m5board.com

UPDATE:

(Updated at 1:30 p.m.) OCALA - Less than 12 hours before he died, Joshua Ammirato was posting messages on an Internet message board seeking advice about how to drive his 2008 BMW M5 faster.

Ammirato, 18, logged onto M5board.com Thursday and Friday, asking other M5 drivers how to shift smoother in the 500-horsepower machine.

"The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be thud noise with the gear change," he wrote in one post.

Ammirato and four other young Marion County men were killed at about 3:45 a.m. Saturday, when the BMW M5 he was driving sailed off the end of the Greystone airstrip in Anthony and crashed into a tree.

Messages on the board devoted to M5 enthusiasts show Ammirato logged on shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday as "AmericanM5."

"Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me," he wrote.

Other members of the board expressed skepticism that Ammirato could have a car with a base price of $82,900 at such a young age, but warned him to take it easy until he gained more driving experience.

"Maybe your 2 years driving experience in your whole life is the problem," one member wrote.

"The fact that I never drove a manual car before may be true, but I've been driving for a lot longer than two years buddy," Ammirato responded.

Ammirato's M5, according to his posts, was equipped with a "sequential manual gearbox," which shifts like a traditional manual transmission, but without a clutch pedal.

Automobile Magazine has described the M5 as "a fearfully intimidating machine," with writer Michael Jordan adding "we've found that the SMG transmission ... makes you feel like a victim of speed, not its master."

Ammirato told forum members he'd had the car for about three weeks. Records show his father, Santo Ammirato, bought the car in November.

In his posts, Joshua Ammirato listed his other cars as a 2008 BMW 535i, a 2007 BMW 335i and a 2007 Cadillac Escalade. All have less horsepower than the M5.

News of Ammirato's death drew condolences from forum members on Saturday and Sunday.

"My prayers are with Josh and his family as well. Being that I am 21 and going on my second M5 I know the temptation is great and sometimes hard to handle at that age," one member wrote. "This is a very serious car with extraordinary performance, i have learned to respect it because there is a VERY, VERY thin line between losing it and keeping it on the road."

Another hoped others would learn from the tragedy.

"Truly a sad, sad event. May God be with the families and friends," the poster wrote. "Hope that they have not died completely in vain -- that many young drivers (and their parents) will take this to heart and learn from it."

Ammirato asked forum members on Friday about turning off the M5's electronic stability control for higher performance. A member wrote back with concern.

"With all (due) respect, gradually learn your car before you turn off (stability control)," he wrote. "With a little mistake combination of your mind and your right foot, you can be history. Be safe and enjoy.

"P.S. People on this board care about each other, especially when someone owns 500 hp car at age of 18. Don't take it personal. We all watch each other(s) back."

Another member expressed concern about Ammirato's maturity.

"[I]t's just disturbing to know, if you're for real, that an 18 year old who is asking these questions about a 500hp car is driving the same streets I am. I don't have anything against young guys driving nice cars, but an 18 year old behind the wheel of an M5 is what accidents are made of," he wrote.

Ammirato responded at 5:33 p.m. Friday that he was responsible.

"I completely understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible ... that is definitely understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others."

A member from Australia again cautioned Ammirato to be careful.

"My only bit of advice matey -- If you crash in a big way expect to be on the news," he wrote. "Enjoy and resist the temptation to drag others at the lights."

Ammirato responded, in his last post, at 9:02 p.m. Friday.

"Thanks guys, don't get me wrong I never said I didn't respect your wisdom," he wrote. "[T]hanks for the welcome and I am looking forward to getting to know you guys better ... Josh."

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012...4162577/0/NEWS
Old 01-27-08, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

More today with another video about the site.

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012...5292933/0/NEWS
Old 01-27-08, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sigh.... 18 yr old.....
Old 01-27-08, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

An image of the elevation:
Attached Thumbnails 5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree-bilde.jpg  
Old 01-27-08, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Latest news plus more videos including a friend talking about all the dead.

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012...rce=photoclick
Old 01-27-08, 11:10 AM
JessePS

one thing is the whole strip elevated?
Old 01-27-08, 11:14 AM
JessePS

True but just because someone can sue for anything doesn't mean they're going to win. The VAST majority of 'frivolous' lawsuits get tossed out.

If someone sued BMW over this they're going to lose.

You would prefer the government just outlaw suing for certain reasons?

I don't like frivolous lawsuits either, but they come with being a relatively free society. I've no doubt you have these kind of suits in Canada too, but with 10% of the population and a much more regulated media (including straight government propaganda out of the CBC) maybe you don't read about or see it.

The unfortunately outcome of all these lawsuits though are the ridiculous labels and warning sheets on pretty much everything these days. The 'instructions' for many things you buy consist of 90% warnings and 10% instructions.
In Canada you can't really sue for anything.

Especially in Quebec, we have no fault insurance. I wonder if it would have covered something like this?
Old 01-27-08, 11:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

An image of the elevation:
I don't want to live anywhere near the end of the elevated runway. Don't we hear occasionally that planes do fail to lift off on runways & plunged (usually into water) . . .

Quick Reply: 5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree