Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First-ever Cadillac Station Wagon (BLS) on sale (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 06:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default First-ever Cadillac Station Wagon (BLS) on sale (UK)

First-ever Cadillac Station Wagon on sale

Posted on 01.24.2008 17:00

The first-ever Wagon model in Cadillac’s long and illustrious history is now on sale in the UK with the introduction of the new Cadillac BLS Wagon. As well as offering British consumers a line-up of Wagons with a choice of six engines from 150 to 255 ps, Cadillac has also upgraded the BLS range with an unprecedented luxury specification which packs each car with a comprehensive range of premium equipment as standard.

“Launching the first-ever Wagon in Cadillac’s history gave us the opportunity to revise the 2008 BLS Saloon model line-up to enhance our presence in the premium UK market,” commented Jonathan Nash, Director in Charge, Cadillac UK. “We looked again at what the current UK market and consumers would expect from a Cadillac and then added all the equipment to match those expectations – as standard. This enabled us to rationalise the specification levels from three down to just one. We wanted to make the BLS line-up simple for us to communicate and for customers to understand.

“We have given this single specification a new name ‘Elegance’ and it brings an unprecedented level of luxury specification to Cadillac’s premium mid-size challenger for 2008, presenting UK buyers with a truly unbeatable package. BLS buyers still have plenty of opportunity to express their individuality and to ensure that the Cadillac they select matches their lifestyle, with two diesel engines and four petrol engines, and manual or automatic transmission on every version of Wagon and Saloon,” adds Nash.

Every BLS, both Wagon and Saloon, now comes with premium equipment such as leather trim, powered and heated front seats, a BOSE Surround Sound 11-speaker audio system, DVD sat-nav, hands-free Bluetooth phone system, dual zone climate control, cruise control, park distance sensors and StabiliTrak electronic dynamic stability control.

“In line with our range simplification, we have banished the traditional ‘price premiums’. Cadillac BLS buyers can enjoy diesel power for the same price as petrol and Wagon body style for the same price as the Saloon. We are convinced that the 2008 Cadillac BLS line-up, with its distinctive styling and relative exclusivity, will be a uniquely persuasive proposition to drivers and will enable us to grow the brand steadily from the bottom up, as part of the long-term journey for Cadillac in the UK,” enthuses Nash.

For 2008, the Cadillac BLS comes with almost £4,000 worth of additional equipment as standard. Prices start at £21,495 (on-the-road) for the 175 ps petrol and 150 ps diesel models, in both Wagon and Saloon variants.

Cadillac expects the arrival of the strikingly styled Wagon to attract new customers to the brand and to account for 50% of BLS sales this year.

“Business sales will be an area of focus for Cadillac with the 2008 BLS. The two new engines – the 180 ps diesel and the 200 ps Flexpower petrol/bioethanol unit – give us an opportunity to highlight the upgraded models’ attributes to the business market. These engines are highly competitive for CO2 and offer BIK (Benefit In Kind) company car tax advantages.

“Industry response to the premium-upgraded 2008 BLS range has been extremely positive. CAP, the provider of benchmark used-car valuations, is predicting a boost for residual values because the BLS is so highly equipped as standard,” concludes Nash.

Designed in Europe, for European consumers, the premium mid-size Cadillac BLS Wagon and Saloon are manufactured (in right-hand drive for the UK market) at the state-of-the-art GM plant in Trollhättan, Sweden.
via topspeed
Old 01-25-08, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Not really. Cadillac has been doing "wagon"-shaped hearses for years.
Old 01-25-08, 06:48 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the BLS would sell like crazy in the states.
They don't have a stateside sedan in the size of IS,3,A4,C-class, etc. And since the CTS is priced almost in that class I think the BLS could definitely underprice those aforementioned cars.
Old 01-25-08, 06:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. Cadillac has been doing "wagon"-shaped hearses for years.
I don't think they use cadillac's as hearses in UK ?
Old 01-25-08, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I don't think they use cadillac's as hearses in UK ?

I don't know either. But, granted, either way, I agree this would be Caddy's first true "wagon", although the hearse body styles have been around for decades.

Americans, for the most part, with their infatuation with SUV's, just don't seem to be interested much anymore in auto-type wagons....the Outback and Impreza being some of the few exceptions. That's why we don't see more of them offered here. In the 60's and 70's, before the age of SUV's, wagons here sold like hotcakes.
Old 01-25-08, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Wow, that's better looking than I remember from earlier pics.

And I agree they should bring it here!
Old 01-25-08, 07:34 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yuckkkkkkkk
my opinion...
Old 01-25-08, 07:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Not bad, I like it, one of the better wagons I have seen lately.
Old 01-25-08, 08:05 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

The BLS is gorgeous. Just about every other market overseas has it EXCEPT us aka the United States of America. It would sell and compete against the Acura TSX.
Old 01-25-08, 09:34 AM
Olu
Pole Position

Nice looking, almost as pretty as the Audi wagons. Is this confirmed? The 1st picture looks like it's been run through Photoshop (especially the transition from the C-pillar to the roof)
Old 01-25-08, 10:09 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a look at a BLS in the Cadillac showroom round the corner from me. They need to get some decent quality materials in there before I would consider buying one - plus they depreciate like a stone. The fact that Cadillac has no image of quality in the UK, with most people thinking they are some sort of badge engineered GM model doesn't help.
Old 01-25-08, 10:28 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is that a Toyota Avensis? LOL

Last edited by kit cat; 01-25-08 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 10:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call it what you will, but this is a station wagon. Cadillac calls it a crossover but it is definitely a station wagon.

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-08-08 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Call it what you will, but this is a station wagon. Cadillac calls it a crossover but it is definitely a station wagon.

Arguably, yes, a wagon, but not a true wagon. The SRX is actually what is known as a "crossover".......a raised platform about midway between a regular car and an SUV. Other examples are the Subaru Outback/Forester, Volvo XC-70, and Audi All-Road.
Old 01-25-08, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Doesn't look bad but FWD= me no care.

Quick Reply: First-ever Cadillac Station Wagon (BLS) on sale (UK)