Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ashtrays and cigarette lighters going up in smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 06:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Ashtrays and cigarette lighters going up in smoke

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

2008 Detroit auto show

Ashtrays, lighters go way of tailfins
Outlets, storage claim their space as standard features in new vehicles.

Tom Greenwood / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Who's got the ashtrays?

Apparently no one has an ashtray today, at least when it comes to cars and trucks. What used to be a standard item on every car made in America has largely become an option on today's vehicles.

The spot that used to feature a "push in, pop out" glowing lighter now houses a "power outlet" for cell phones, laptop computers and portable GPS units. And the ashtray that used to store cigarette butts has been replaced by extra storage space or a cup holder.

According to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, the trend toward "smokeless cars" is likely to continue for three reasons: pressure from anti-smoking groups, fewer smokers and the need for the extra storage space.

A check of display vehicles at the North American International Auto Show turned up very few cars and trucks with ashtrays/lighters as standard equipment. None of the vehicles checked at the Jeep display featured an ashtray, including the top-end Jeep Commander Overland 4x4.

The $45,300 vehicle came with GPS, Sirius satellite radio, Bluetooth communications and a multitude of safety features -- but no ashtray.

And vehicles without ashtrays are just fine with Barb Labadie of Beverly Hills.

"I don't smoke, and I don't allow smoking in my car," said Labadie, 62. "But I remember when every car had an ashtray and lighter and folks really used them. My Rendezvous has an ashtray, but I use it to store toothpicks."

Drivers who do want one can purchase a "smokers group" option for an additional fee of from $15 to $100, depending on the vehicle.

All models of Chrysler and Dodge minivans have included extra storage space instead of ashtrays since 1996. Many other manufacturers, such as Cadillac, Saturn, Infiniti and Honda, are leaning more and more toward smokeless vehicles.

"I'm not surprised," said Marysville resident Chip Cieslinski, as he stretched out in a $61,000 Lexus LS460, which did feature a "hideaway" ashtray.

"In fact, I'm pleased about it. It says a lot about how people view smoking today. I'm 48, and when I was growing up, every car had an ashtray. Today I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix and it doesn't have an ashtray."

However, the manufacturers of top-end vehicles such as Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and Rolls Royce still design their vehicles with lighter and ashtrays as standard equipment.

The trend towards smoke-free cars frustrates smoker J.P. Langworthy of Kalamazoo.

"It's not right; people expect them in their cars," said Langworthy, 24, sitting in the front seat of a Mercedes-Benz.

"Do you know what smokers have to go through today just to smoke? It's like they're trying to erase us from history.

"Even nonsmokers can use ashtrays to hide things or to store spare change."

Langworthy opened a small compartment on the console and broke into a grin.

"All right, it's an ashtray and lighter.

"Wait a minute; that's a power outlet and there's a 'no smoking' symbol stamped on the bottom of the tray. It's a storage area! I should have known better."
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...83/1148/AUTO01
Old 01-24-08, 06:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm i mean smoking is bad, but you should still give people the option, you dont need like 5 ashtrays in the older ls 400's but at least have one, and a lighter to
Old 01-24-08, 06:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
hmm i mean smoking is bad, but you should still give people the option, you dont need like 5 ashtrays in the older ls 400's but at least have one, and a lighter to
i say make it like some brands, ashtray and lighters? make it an option.
Old 01-24-08, 06:57 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy enough to ash out the window so I don't really see the need for ashtrays, but a lighter is pretty useful even if you don't smoke. I'm not a smoker, but I like to light up the occasional cigar in the summertime, as long as the windows are down and the roof is off. If you smoke a cigar with the windows up, or even in most cars that have a non-removable roof, the smell will stay around forever
Old 01-24-08, 07:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

People still smoke??

Remember when cars had ashtrays everywhere in a car? Even on the back doors, lol. Those cars didn't have cup holders but they made sure they had a tray for each of the 5 smokers in the car.

Now they just have to make cigerettes illegal and we'll be all set.
Old 01-24-08, 07:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If anyone dared to use the ashtray in my car, they would get an instant load of whoopass. My wife smokes, but she doesn't use the ashtray, she uses the window.
Old 01-24-08, 07:47 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

One downside of no ashtrays is the litter of cigarette butts we see on the road and in parking lots. :-(
Old 01-24-08, 08:50 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

My Jag had 4. The Lex only has 1 though.
Old 01-24-08, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JHStrange
One downside of no ashtrays is the litter of cigarette butts we see on the road and in parking lots. :-(
you actually think most smoker put their cigarette butts in the ashtray?
Old 01-25-08, 12:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2000 Acura TL didn't have one--there was a tray that LOOKED like an ashtray, but with felt in it, and a warning that said 'NOT AN ASHTRAY'. My 2004 Pilot doesn't even have a fake ashtray like that.

Wish my IS 250 had a real storage compartment/coinholder, rather than an ashtray.

Even my mom, who has smoked for 45 years, doesn't smoke in the car anymore.
Old 01-25-08, 12:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
NO--the f-----g pigs throw them out the window, like, somehow, that's an exeception to "No Littering".
Old 01-25-08, 12:37 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
Unfortunately no. I just don't understand why they don't think those butts are litter.
Old 01-25-08, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

exactly, so saying keep the ashtray for butts, that's BS

from what i see, even for people who smoke, their ashtrays are full of junk like receipts or coins, and when they smoke, the outside of the car is the asktray.
Old 01-25-08, 02:13 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
If anyone dared to use the ashtray in my car, they would get an instant load of whoopass. My wife smokes, but she doesn't use the ashtray, she uses the window.
Same here....and I'm a smoker.
If you didnt bring a lighter .....too bad.....the cars lighter has never been used either......its a "Data port" now.!!

Absolutley NO smoking in the back seat.!!!

Yes....the world is my ash tray
(I have a been bag tray thats used for butts, emptied every time it needs to be)

**EDIT**.....ditched the tray awhile ago for a Walmart smokeless cup
Old 01-25-08, 02:17 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
NO--the f-----g pigs throw them out the window, like, somehow, that's an exeception to "No Littering".
Share your feelings with the group.!!!
Dont be shy now.!!

Quick Reply: Ashtrays and cigarette lighters going up in smoke