Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What happens when your over fill.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 08:54 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What happens when your over fill.

Okay, so this past summer my sister went overseas which ment i got to drive the RX400h for a few weeks. Well, i took it to the gas station(shell) and i decide to do a fill up, at this time i had never done one before and people told me the gas will stop pumping itself when its full. So im standing there waiting for it to fill and theres a line to get the pumps. I watched as the price kept ticking up. It was at 40 bucks and im still standing there. WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN gas starts pouring out! and it was alot! i was like **** and i quickly grabbed the handle and stoped it.... there was gas on the paint, rims, and floor. So im pissed off and i walk inside and i told the man that theres gas everywhere because his Pump never stopped. Well the guy tells me to hold on because theres also another customer complaining about something. so i wait for about 5 mins and i tell him, he goes look outside and he says "What do you want me to do" i said give me something to clean it off my car and a 5 dollar refund. He said no to the refund because he said it didnt look like 5 dollars worth of gas. So i walk in the store and grab some napkins and water and clean it right there at the pump. i was also scared because someone told me that if the tank was full it would blow up. So i called my friend and he said it was fine, but he wasnt really a hybrid car person. so i called roadside assistance (it was funny too because like the first question they asked me was if i was in a safe place) and i told the guy the story and he said it was fine to drive. So i left, but i always been wondering if it is bad for the car? because i have read that the pressure in the tank can do something to the something. Also i have read signs that says to do not fill up the gas tank to top or top off(whatever that means).
Old 11-29-07, 09:03 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont wipe the gasoline off the paint
gasoline can eat the paint away when u wipe it as you will be applying some pressure on it

best way is to let whatever is on the car evaporate
and the gas station should have chemicals for absorbing gas spills for the ground

i hate gas stations
they never refund for their mistakes
ive even contacted Esso HQ in Canada about one of their busted pumps that gave me wrong grade of gas even though i pressed 91 octane (it gave me 87)... oil companies are the most greedy, they will never ever refund
Old 11-29-07, 09:22 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

yeah, the guy working said "it wasnt working right this morning"
i was so pissed that the pump wasnt closed or something.
Old 11-29-07, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Wash the affected area on the fender and trim with a good car-wash detergent and warm water, rinse, dry, and go over the area with SCRATCH-OUT or a similiar light paint abrasive/conditioner/scratch remover (NOT a strong one like rubbing compound) and re-apply wax, and, if the paint has not been damaged or it is is not too deep, that should take care of your problem. If you can't get SCRATCH-OUT in your area, PM me with your name and mailing address, and I'll send you a 7 oz bottle of it myself.

It's possible that the charcoal canister element in the gas anti-evaporative system was damaged if it got soaked with fuel, but that is a simple and relatively inexpensive repair if needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 09:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's technically not a good idea to top off the gas (similar to what you do), but once in a while it's not going to kill your car... take it easy, it happens

and personally i would definitely wipe the gas off your wheels and paint right the way. if you let them sit that's where the problem might start imho. just use the napkins to "soak" the gas, not RUB them
Old 11-29-07, 09:43 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've never done a fillup?

seriously?
Old 11-29-07, 09:51 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster

seriously?
There was some point in all of our lives when we had never done a fillup

Anyway, for the OP, call the manager at the gas station and ask for at least a partial refund. If he doesn't offer a refund and it's not a station that is convenient for you (b/c they might block your CC in response), dispute the charge with your CC. It's ridiculous that the guy didn't refund you for their faulty equipment. I hate to imagine what might have happened had a real accident occurred with all that gas around.
Old 11-29-07, 10:18 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wash the affected area on the fender and trim with a good car-wash detergent and warm water, rinse, dry, and go over the area with SCRATCH-OUT or a similiar light paint abrasive/conditioner/scratch remover (NOT a strong one like rubbing compound) and re-apply wax, and, if the paint has not been damaged or it is is not too deep, that should take care of your problem. If you can't get SCRATCH-OUT in your area, PM me with your name and mailing address, and I'll send you a 7 oz bottle of it myself.

It's possible that the charcoal canister element in the gas anti-evaporative system was damaged if it got soaked with fuel, but that is a simple and relatively inexpensive repair if needed.
I know someone who has that, thanks for the info

Originally Posted by whoster

seriously?
nope, it cost about 50+ to fill up and usually put 20 bucks.
Old 11-29-07, 10:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Is the pump defective? Usually the nozzle stops pumping once your tank is full, at least in my case.
Old 11-29-07, 10:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is the pump defective? Usually the nozzle stops pumping once your tank is full, at least in my case.
thats the point of his story. lol it usually stops but it didnt this time.

nope, it cost about 50+ to fill up and usually put 20 bucks.
ohhh, you never done a full tank fillup. that was misleading. i was scratching my head cause i thought you've never been to a gas station.

there should be a bucket next to the pump near the garbage and the squeegee with sand to soak up the gas. anyways, usually a drop or two of gas leaks down when im removing the pump. i usually take the sqeegee wiper sponge and kinda go over the paint. lol. not sure if its the right thing to do but its my human reaction
Old 11-29-07, 11:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sometimes when the pump is not inserted correctly, or if the pump itself is defective, this can happen. happened to be before, while i was wondering what happened, a lady came up to me and said she had the same thing happening to her a week ago. that explained everything

this is nothing that special
Old 11-29-07, 11:30 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work in a gas station (Chevron), this happens to us often (fuel spill). I work in a full serve station, where we pump the gas, not customers, other then when they demand they pump it themselves.

We try to not let fuel spill happen but it'll usually happen when people try to top off
(the pump stopped after it sensed it's full. the sensors are pressure based, thus then it detects a push back, whatever it is, gas or air, it clicks off the pump, usually when it clicks off, it's not that full yet, you can still put in about 2-4 liters, there's cars that allows 10+liters... either way, filling after click off is called top off/top up).

(Problem usually comes when it's topping off slowly or when the nozzle's squeezed to full, which in some cases will fill too fast and the fuel&air mixing like pop pouring in a cup to fast, and spills out .

We tell our employees (our station only though) to max top off at round off to the dollar if necessary, which we get used to doing it with cash transactions or if it's like $18.60, we can usually make it to $20, but some cars don't.

There are times that it clicked off way too early and people complains it's not full, that's fine... But there's sometimes it's so busy and our customers don't like to wait for us to serve them, they'll start to fill themselves.(remember, we are a full serve station)

When we made mistakes, we'll get it cleared, things like your case, we'll determine the appropriate amount of fuel lost from the transaction, usually it'll be less than $0.50 since if it's a full dollar, it'll be quite a big spill, I mean it can cover about 4 of the 8 pumps we have. But customers usually demands either full refund, which is nonsense, or a few dollars back, even if they took their risk of choosing to fill themselves... we usually don't like the hassle and give offer $1-2 back (if they accept, it's done, if they don't they can go and complain, witch company will tell us about it and nothing/not much will be done anyways), and use water the hose the area... there ain't much we can do, we try not to use paper towel as it scratches paint, unless customer demand....

But sometimes it's a hassle to have to pay for others mistakes, if the pump nozzle's broken, we will block it off, we like that since we are a full serve, we like to block some pumps :P. General rule, customer's always right, but to a point, and be fair.

Topping off is ok, we have customers do it every time they come in, right up to the cap area where you can see the fuel, there's still no problems.

BTW for that 5 minutes you waited, you should close the cap, (not the fuel door that exposes the cap) and hose it off, watch for splash back though, and don't get anything in your eyes.

2 more rules in our station...
#1 Boss is always right
#2 If boss is wrong, refer to rule number 1
hahahaha
Old 11-30-07, 02:27 PM
Stelth91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I hate the people who work behind the counter at a gas station. I decided to put $20 in one day so i went and gave him the cash. I went back to my pump and nothing came out after i pulled the handle. After trying it for a couple minutes, i went back in and told the guy the pump was defective. After telling him what pump i was, he says that there was only 20 cents left in the pump. I told the guy i didn't get any gas, and that he didn't put the extra zero in. After arguing with him for a while, i just drove off. I never did get my money back.