Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Love At First Sight? JD Power Study Says Japan Loves Lexus Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 01:50 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Love At First Sight? JD Power Study Says Japan Loves Lexus Service

Lexus ranks highest in satisfying customers with the dealer service experience, according to the J.D. Power Asia Pacific 2007 Japan Customer Service Index (CSI) StudySM released today.

Now in its sixth year, the study identifies five factors that measure customer satisfaction with service performed at manufacturer-authorized dealer facilities. In order of importance, they are: service representative; service costs and timing; service quality; service initiation; and service accessibility.

Included in the ranking for the first time in 2007, Lexus leads with an overall CSI score of 125 points, performing particularly well in each of the five factors that determine overall satisfaction.

Mercedes-Benz, with an improvement of 2 points since 2006, follows Lexus in the ranking with 108. Specifically, Mercedes-Benz improves considerably in the service representative factor. BMW follows Mercedes-Benz in the ranking with 107, while Honda, Volkswagen, Suzuki, Toyota and Subaru also perform above the industry average.

The study finds that 81 percent of customers report bringing their vehicle into the dealership for service in 2007, which has increased by 6 percent since the 2003 study (75%).

“Customers often wait at the dealer while their vehicle is being serviced, which makes it critical for dealerships to ensure that customers are not only comfortable, but also perceive their wait time as satisfactory,” said Ryutaro Nakao, senior associate of the automotive industry group at J.D. Power Asia Pacific, Tokyo. “Doing so will certainly help dealers improve overall satisfaction among their customers.”

The study also asks consumers about special services they would like to have available in waiting areas at dealerships. The most requested services include Internet capability, a large variety of magazines, and a non-smoking area. Additionally, the special services desired in the waiting area vary among customers by age. For example, 20 percent of younger customers report Internet capability as a top desire for the waiting area, while only 5 percent of older customers desire Internet capability.

“It is imperative for dealerships to improve their facilities and services by understanding the services that customers actually want and expect,” said Nakao. “By knowing the specific desires of their core customer base, dealers can better meet customer needs, which may potentially lead to repeat visits and enhanced loyalty.”

The 2007 Japan Customer Service Index Study includes responses from 5,359 consumers who have owned their vehicles for 13 to 18 months. The survey was conducted in July and August 2007.
Old 11-14-07, 03:25 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

young kids in japan would want internet in a waiting room haha. don't their cellphones have wifi?!
Old 11-14-07, 04:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good job to Lexus Japan, their sales are improved as well, and looks like the intense training effort paid off and the customer service is tops in the already high-service Japanese dealership environment.
Old 11-14-07, 05:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

internet in the waiting room? hell yes! Even Chinese dealers offer them!
Old 11-14-07, 05:11 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope for lexus' sake that satisfaction equals sales. I wonder how the European dealer experience is in Japan, as well as the cost of service.
Old 11-14-07, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Similar to how they shocked people in America and Europe and other countries with their debut.

Who doesn't like being pampered? Its not even rocket science.

Old 11-16-07, 02:12 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The margin looks pretty dramatic...

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/lib...os/?ID=2007270
Attached Thumbnails Love At First Sight? JD Power Study Says Japan Loves Lexus Service-2007267a.gif  
Old 11-16-07, 05:28 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing i noticed in japan was that the overall level of service is far superior to the us.

it wouldnt surprise me if most toyota dealers in japan had a superior quality of service vs most lexus dealers here (maybe not in amenities obviously, but in quality)

its definitely true for other brands

it occurred to me that one of the reasons lexus has done so well stateside is that they did the best job of maintaining that level of service from japan... whereas other companies let their independent dealers do what they want, and you end up with a much more americanized and in general, lower quality of service.

btw the one odd exception was bmw. i did not have a very positive experience with them over there. which is very odd but then again maybe not. i guess in some cases it really falls on the parent company and at the end of the day maybe bmw is bmw no matter where you are.
Old 11-16-07, 05:41 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome. I love the direction dealers are going with their in house service. Massage chairs in the lounge = hell ya.
Old 11-16-07, 01:56 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
one thing i noticed in japan was that the overall level of service is far superior to the us.

it wouldnt surprise me if most toyota dealers in japan had a superior quality of service vs most lexus dealers here (maybe not in amenities obviously, but in quality)

its definitely true for other brands

it occurred to me that one of the reasons lexus has done so well stateside is that they did the best job of maintaining that level of service from japan... whereas other companies let their independent dealers do what they want, and you end up with a much more americanized and in general, lower quality of service.

btw the one odd exception was bmw. i did not have a very positive experience with them over there. which is very odd but then again maybe not. i guess in some cases it really falls on the parent company and at the end of the day maybe bmw is bmw no matter where you are.
the Lexus service in Japan is so much better than the one over here...I didn't even bring my car once (took the train) and I ended up getting into a test drive+coffee+snacks followed by Thank you for visiting letter. Props to Lexus Shibuya.

Lexus in Indiana...what a joke.

BMW in Japan is horrible. Customer service is only for those who own a BMW. They won't talk to you, even if you do they'll literally look at from head to toe to make sure you have enough money and if you don't, no one will come talk to you. And their MINI sales people are soooooooo annoying/persistent.
Old 11-16-07, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by enigma888
The margin looks pretty dramatic...

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/lib...os/?ID=2007270
Damn, look at that!

Old 11-16-07, 09:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I didn't even bring my car once (took the train) and I ended up getting into a test drive+coffee+snacks followed by Thank you for visiting letter. Props to Lexus Shibuya.
Wow, makes me want to visit a Lexus Japan dealership. I wonder how well they treat non-Japanese speakers?