Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 11:08 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
You say this but I am sure if you got whatever off he got you may reconsider. $$$$ goes along way in people's decision making, whether you believe it or not. And for some, once you've hit the top, you move on and look for new challenges. This is his chance to be a savior of sorts, that in and of itself is a BIG opportunity IMO
Yeah, but when you are already making a ton of money as a top exec. does it really make a difference? I guess it does if you have aspirations of owning an island one day or building your very own Biltmore Estate.
Old 10-11-07, 11:14 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is American business culture...you don't hear much about Japanese execs jump from one company to another (like from Toyota to Honda). This is simply how our marketplace is. If you look at most executive resumes at companies in the US, I'm sure you'll see that most worked for more than just two or three companies in their lifetime.

and for those Toyota execs that have jumped ship, they might even come back (so far, none have it seems).
Old 10-11-07, 11:43 AM
LexFather

I'll be applying for the position!

Old 10-11-07, 11:57 AM
xioix
Racer

Well, I hope the new comers doesn't stray too far away from traditional Lexus customers and drive other Lexus buyers or potential buyers away
Old 10-11-07, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Mr. Farley, currently group vice president at Toyota's U.S. sales arm and manager of the Lexus brand, will be replaced by Mark Templin, 46, a vice president in charge of the Scion brand

This kind of excites me. Mr. Templin is only 46, so hopefully he will want more sporty products for Lexus. MORE "F"!!!

Old 10-11-07, 12:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mr. Farley, currently group vice president at Toyota's U.S. sales arm and manager of the Lexus brand, will be replaced by Mark Templin, 46, a vice president in charge of the Scion brand

This kind of excites me. Mr. Templin is only 46, so hopefully he will want more sporty products for Lexus. MORE "F"!!!
Farley was only 45
Old 10-11-07, 12:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lexus/Toyota needs to higher Bob Lutz. If anyone can inject some excitement into the slowwwwww Lexus brand it is Bob Lutz For now, things are just stagnant over at Lexus. LF-A, GS-F is still a dream to many, and IS-F is still in the refrigerator waiting to be thawed.
no it does not... Toyota is just fine as it is - everyone working together, as supposed tostrong leadership.

But, heck, ppl are paying huge sums for Toyota exec, so they must be doing something right :-)
Old 10-11-07, 12:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Talk about a sudden shift....a few weeks ago he was giving interviews and now this....Mr. Farley has a record I think for shortest Lexus chief tenure...less than a year.

Mark Templin did the NYIAS premiere presentation for the IS 350 and GS 450h....great job IMO. Please don't grab him away from the brand!!!
Old 10-11-07, 01:07 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Interesting that Mark Templin is only a year older than Bob Farley and has followed the same Scion-to-Lexus path.
Old 10-11-07, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

... Mark Templin, 46 ...
Great age.
Old 10-11-07, 02:20 PM
LexFather

How on earth are things stagnant at Lexus. That is one of the funniest things I've read all year.

Old 10-11-07, 02:23 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Keep this in mind folks: toyota and honda has the lowest base compensation package and highest numbers of top level executives in the automotive industry. Ford, amazingly, had one of the highest figures with the lowest headcount.

Good luck to them and hope they can turn around the abysmal american automotive industry.
Old 10-11-07, 03:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL, flipped on CNN and the crawl was leading with "James Farley, head of Toyota's Lexus luxury division, is leaving to head marketing at Ford" ...

...Maybe Toyota should consider upping the pay for the American executive leadership!
Old 10-11-07, 04:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

This is definitely an interesting 2007. I get to interact with 3 Lexus Group VP and General Managers in one year.

Jim Farley is definitely a brilliant guy in person. I've met him on 3 different occassions this year. I can tell you he's definitely a car guy...not just Toyota, but in general. It's really good to know Toyota produces talent of this caliber. It's just sad to see him go in just a few short months, especially with the launch of the IS-F and the upcoming SEMA projects to be unveiled.
Old 10-11-07, 04:42 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lexus/Toyota needs to higher Bob Lutz. If anyone can inject some excitement into the slowwwwww Lexus brand it is Bob Lutz For now, things are just stagnant over at Lexus. LF-A, GS-F is still a dream to many, and IS-F is still in the refrigerator waiting to be thawed.
And the Solistice took forever to be produced; and when it did it was a performance flop; and so were many other cars. The bad decisions made on the GTO and various other vehicles add to the problem too.

The cars he is responsible for "excitement" are the vette and higher-end Caddys (I like the CTS-V and Z06 a lot). But as far as progressing the brand; GM has LOST ground while he's been around. I mean seriously, does a FWD Impala with a 5.3L V8 thats slower than a comparable Camry get you excited? GM vehicles minus the mentioned cars are the most boring-looking cars on the planet minus some of the crap Citroen and Renault shell out. The REALLY cool cars they've done (minus the vette and ctsv) they brought from overseas. The GTO and G8 are both Holden vehicles (and you can see the quality difference from a 100ft). The Solstice and Sky are just Opel Speedsters with a front engine conversion (albeit a very bad one, an N/A ECOtec 4cyl standard at 3200lbs? they should be ashamed).

There is nothing wrong over at Lexus other than you dont seem to like the cars they are producing and think they take too long to produce a new one. They are still growing and growing. Whatever they are doing, its working; unlike GM. You say things are stagnant, but only because they havent released the ISF and GSF ahead of schedule? They can't just churn these things out that quick; unless they want their reliability to go out the window like Mercedes and BMW did (and GM has done for the past 20 years)

Last edited by Bean; 10-11-07 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford