Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 07:08 PM
LexFather

(I need to stop liking this car so much cause the bolt pattern is all wrong )

Old 03-28-12, 06:09 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure Vossen can fix that...Mike, you should be the driving force behind developments for a specialty line under Vossen. I'm sure they can accommodate the likes of Evo/STi and soon to be FT owners with tuner styled/light-weight wheels. Speak up at those meetings man!

I really hope a turbo model comes for this...most-likely under the STi nameplate, but this vehicle is dying to have a snail!
Old 03-28-12, 06:54 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
I'm sure Vossen can fix that...Mike, you should be the driving force behind developments for a specialty line under Vossen. I'm sure they can accommodate the likes of Evo/STi and soon to be FT owners with tuner styled/light-weight wheels. Speak up at those meetings man!!
As an avid autocrosser and 3rd-gen Miata owner, I strongly second and support this idea. It's about time alternatives to Enkei and Rays' Gram Lights wheels were available...
Old 03-28-12, 06:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

2013 Subaru BRZ Quadruples Initial Sales Target In Japan

2013 Subaru BRZ Quadruples Initial Sales Target In Japan
BY VIKNESH VIJAYENTHIRAN

Subaru has confirmed that the car’s first two-month sales figures for Japan have almost quadrupled the initial target of just 450 units per month.

A total of 3,551 BRZ coupes have been snapped up by buyers between February 3 and March 27 of this year.

Interestingly, it was the highest grade model that's proving the most popular, accounting for 78.4 percent of sales. The base model, most suited to customization, only managed 3.1 percent of sales.

Looking deeper into the figures, two-thirds of all BRZs were ordered with a manual transmission and the most popular color is the car’s trademark “WR blue mica,” which accounts for a third of all orders. The second most popular color is white followed by black.

Accounting for the majority of sales were buyers aged under 29 and those aged 30 to 39, with each of the two segments accounting for roughly 27 percent of sales. The smallest segment was buyers over the age of 60, which only accounted for about 7.5 percent of sales.

In the U.S., the BRZ goes on sale immediately following its debut at next week’s 2012 New York Auto Show, and will be priced roughly at $25,000. It will be powered by the same 2.0-liter ‘Boxer’ four-cylinder engine found in models sold all over the world, which thanks to direct-injection technology and a relatively high 12.5:1 compression ratio results in an impressive 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. That power will be transferred to the pavement via a standard Torsen limited-slip differential.
Old 03-29-12, 10:58 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

That's fantastic news. But if popularity of BRZ here in the USA follows that same sentiment with going with the top-of-the-line Limited model, it looks like Scion might be in trouble if they can't satisfy potential buyers with their mono-spec version.
Old 03-29-12, 02:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's fantastic news. But if popularity of BRZ here in the USA follows that same sentiment with going with the top-of-the-line Limited model, it looks like Scion might be in trouble if they can't satisfy potential buyers with their mono-spec version.
i doubt it... Scion will be cheaper and has everything you really need.

it is kind of silly how mags are reporting how they will be priced the same, no they wont. Probably $4k different with top version and $1.5k-$2k with mid version of Subaru. They are setting everyone up for dissapointment.

I would like top version but lets be realistic, Scion has all the goodies you need and $4k you can really invest in turbo or something else that enhances ability of the car, and not to add xenons, navs or digital air.
Old 03-29-12, 02:23 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Suburu has stated today a Sti is coming, no turbos, lighter and around 250hp!!!
Old 03-29-12, 02:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
where? Autoblog interview with subaru guy said around 280hp and wont be caleld STi :-)
Old 03-29-12, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
where? Autoblog interview with subaru guy said around 280hp and wont be caleld STi :-)
I also read that (maybe even posted I forgot )

but yeah no turbos? how would they bump power without increasing the engine size and making it lighter
Old 03-29-12, 09:05 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...i_planned.html

Here is the source
Old 03-30-12, 06:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

if you read carefully, Subaru has not said much at all... when it comes to UK mags, even motoring ones, 99% of the stuff they reveal is simply not true.
Old 03-30-12, 06:30 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I also read that (maybe even posted I forgot )

but yeah no turbos? how would they bump power without increasing the engine size and making it lighter
from what i read, the Subaru exec said that fitting a turbo under the hood was not a possibility due to its limited space... b/s if you ask me! if there's an STi version, im sure it'll be turbo'd...wishful thinking on my part
Old 03-30-12, 09:57 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear mount turbo?
Old 03-30-12, 02:11 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by baddis es
from what i read, the Subaru exec said that fitting a turbo under the hood was not a possibility due to its limited space... b/s if you ask me! if there's an STi version, im sure it'll be turbo'd...wishful thinking on my part
They could make the hood a little bigger like on the ISF as opposed to the IS! I'm also sure it'll be turbo.
Old 03-30-12, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Default Well That Didn't Take Long: V8-powered Toyota GT 86 drift car undergoes testing

Well That Didn't Take Long: V8-powered Toyota GT 86 drift car undergoes testing

Cash-strapped enthusiasts may not have had much to get all sticky over from Camp Toyota in recent years, but the automaker's new GT 86 / Scion FR-S coupe promises to mine a rich paystreak of driving enjoyment. And while we're big (okay, huge) fans of the car's low-speed dynamic thrills, not every enthusiast is so forgiving of its rather middling power and acceleration figures. We knew it wouldn't take long for the aftermarket to remedy this perceived power deficit with things like forced induction and ECU reflashes, but we foolishly expected a full engine swap to take a bit longer than it apparently has.

What you're looking at here is Manabu "Max" Orido's Toyota GT 86 prepped for drifting in D1 Grand Prix events. In this case, that means the two-door has been gutted and stuffed with the 5.0-liter V8 from the Lexus IS F, one of Toyota's more emotive offerings thanks to its honkin' great eight.

Orido's GT 86 is shown here undergoing shakedown testing, and from the looks of things, the transplant appears to be going rather swimmingly. At first glance, we even dig the more aggressive widebody look, lack of paint and all.

VIDEO and SOURCE:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/w...-drift-car-un/

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!