Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what is the best hybrid car today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 06:17 AM
JenDunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best hybrid car today?

What do you think is the best hybrid car today? I am thinking of buying one and I wanted to know my options. Please do give me your recommendations as well as the price so i would know how much money I need to spend to buy one. I am planning on applying for an auto loan if I would not have enough cash. Does anyone here know the current rate for an auto loan? Thanks!
Old 10-19-16, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "best". If what you are looking for is to spend as little money as possible on brand-new hybrid, I'd suggest maybe the Toyota Prius C. Base price starts around 20K, and Toyota is offering a choice of $1500 back on rebate, 0% APR financing for 72 months, or $199 lease for 36 months....that's worth looking at. That offer is good on leftover 2016 models, through the end of this month....October 31. In addition, you may qualify for any Federal, state, or local tax-credits on a hybrid vehicle. Some areas give HOV-Lane privileges for hybrids on busy freeways. All Priuses have been generally reliable, but they tend to have (IMO) Geeky dash and console designs, somewhat cheap and flimly-feeling hardware inside, and the Prius C model, in particular, drives like a small scooter-appliance, with almost no personality at all. But, it's generally the cheapest way to get into a new hybrid.

If you are looking for a more substantial hybrid than a Prius (and there are larger, more expensive versions of the Prius than the small Prius C), or if you want something still larger and/or more comfortable, or something from another manufacturer, then we can take it from there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-19-16, 07:17 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Possibly the new Porsche Panamera. Arguably the spiritual successor to the GS450h.
Old 10-19-16, 07:25 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The new Prius Prime is pretty badass as far as hybrids go, imo.
Old 10-19-16, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

JenDunn, need a bit more specifics, there is no best as it depends on what else you're looking for, like cargo room, performance, overall fuel economy, luxuriousness, price, etc.
and car loan rates depend on your credit score, term of loan, etc.
Old 10-19-16, 12:54 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

as a toyota salesman this might be a biased answer but i must say i'm annoyingly impressed by the new prius. i had to get one on a swap from another dealership for my customer who bought one, and this was the ACTUAL trip i took back
and considering the car is "supposed to" average 50 mpg, i think i did a pretty good job here... mind you i was uncomfortably hot because i had the climate control totally off and the windows all up, but when you're on an economy run these things matter lol... take that SW15LS, i don't ALWAYS drive like a menace
Old 10-19-16, 01:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

IMO, anything from a Lexus GS450h and up, including the LS600hl, and the NSX.

Benz and Beamer etc may have decent gasoline-electric hybrids too, but I have never test driven them.

My tip is to stay away from Toyota & Lexus 4 cylinder hybrids which have very small battery capacity, so drive in electric vehicle only mode for ridiculously short distances and very small throttle openings only, and when the 4 cylinder conventional ICE does kick in, the four cylinder narrow bore long stroker is so harsh and coarse to rev, and very little power too.
Old 10-19-16, 01:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JenDunn
What do you think is the best hybrid car today? I am thinking of buying one and I wanted to know my options. Please do give me your recommendations as well as the price so i would know how much money I need to spend to buy one. I am planning on applying for an auto loan if I would not have enough cash. Does anyone here know the current rate for an auto loan? Thanks!
IMO, first thing to decide is what type hybrid? Plug-in type or not. When I checked last time world wide Toyota(including Lexus) sold ~900 million hybrid cars over the years.Next thing is what type vehicle, for family, just for commuting, sporty ones?, etc. Curren,ly I own RX450h which warranty runs out in 2019. B4, I had Bimmer X5M which was fun car to drive but always some little things go wrong vexing me. RX since I had, zero issues. Just had first oil change and put on set of winter tires/rims(Toyota rims which cost less) More than myself wife likes RX compared to Bimmer. Tho she has her own little car, Subaru Forester XT. Toyota hybrids have a good track record, IMO. Good luck hybrid hunting.
Old 10-19-16, 02:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 10-19-16, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, anything from a Lexus GS450h and up, including the LS600hl, and the NSX.

Benz and Beamer etc may have decent gasoline-electric hybrids too, but I have never test driven them.

My tip is to stay away from Toyota & Lexus 4 cylinder hybrids which have very small battery capacity, so drive in electric vehicle only mode for ridiculously short distances and very small throttle openings only, and when the 4 cylinder conventional ICE does kick in, the four cylinder narrow bore long stroker is so harsh and coarse to rev, and very little power too.
Makes no sense. The gas alternatives to the GSh and LSh are better values and better purchases.

As for the Toyota smaller engines, most people don't care about the narrow bore or longer stroke.
Old 10-19-16, 03:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Lots of great hybrid choices out there, but as with what the others have said, we'll need some more info to provide you some good suggestions.

I've always been sort of ho-hum on hybrids, but my wife really wanted one so we bought the Highlander and my opinion of them has completely changed. I absolutely love it and am sure we'll buy another.
Old 10-19-16, 03:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I would get a Tesla Model X P90D if you can spend $100k

if you have a budget then the new Accord Hybrid is getting good reviews.
Old 10-19-16, 06:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I would get a Tesla Model X P90D if you can spend $100k

if you have a budget then the new Accord Hybrid is getting good reviews.
tesla aint a hybrid bruhhhh