Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 10:16 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ive been around Porsche and Subaru boxers for a while and what you describe sounds more like the weird idling of a 5 cylinder engine, not an H4.
yeah seriously i absolutely love the sound of the suby engine with an aftermarket exhaust
Old 12-29-08, 10:25 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy4two
gotta add a turbo for me to even consider this a MR2 or Supra-esque sports car. I never considered the Celica a sports car...
You mean turbo option?
The Supra and MR2 were available in NA trim as well.
Would you consider the Celica All-Trac a sports car? It's what I'm hoping this vehicle ends up having, an All-Trac trim. I would buy that in a heartbeat or even a Subie badged one.
Old 12-29-08, 10:54 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

gotta add a turbo for me to even consider this a MR2 or Supra-esque sports car. I never considered the Celica a sports car...
Are you kidding?
Old 12-29-08, 06:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by muhbuhtuh
yeah seriously i absolutely love the sound of the suby engine with an aftermarket exhaust
Here's an idea of what mine sounds like. My N/A, 10 yr. old 2.5L. Sorry for the shotty camera work as it is hard to turn, shift, and hold a camera all at once. I think this engine sounds bigger than a 4.

I just need an exhaust.
Old 12-29-08, 09:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's an idea of what mine sounds like. My N/A, 10 yr. old 2.5L. Sorry for the shotty camera work as it is hard to turn, shift, and hold a camera all at once. I think this engine sounds bigger than a 4.
Doesn't sound bad with rpm, but they all sound like a plug wire is missing at anything below 2,000 rpm.

Hard to beat a 20 valve 4AG at 9,000 rpm, though. As far as I'm concerned, the flat 4 can't hold a candle to it in terms of sound!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbfy2wh6XmY
Old 12-30-08, 10:52 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
No way, no how. Ever heard a stock or built 4AG? Or an S2000 engine?

My impression of the Boxer 4:

"ba-buh-de-bap, ba-buh-de-bap, ba-buh-de-bap"

My impression of the S2000 engine:
"FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT"

only 2 I4s that I've ever heard that I liked and both were Nissans:
CA18DET and the SR20DET

The rest sound like total crap when opened up. I'll take the smoother B4 any day of the week.
Old 12-30-08, 11:24 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
No way, no how. Ever heard a stock or built 4AG? Or an S2000 engine?

My impression of the Boxer 4:

"ba-buh-de-bap, ba-buh-de-bap, ba-buh-de-bap"

ever wondered WHY they sound like that? It's unequal exhaust length. The JDM EJ20 has equal length, takes that sound you don't like away.

SLegacy>
this is supposed to be a SPORTS (well, not sports, maybe sporty) CAR. The SVX was never a sports car.
Old 12-30-08, 11:26 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been around Porsche and Subaru boxers for a while and what you describe sounds more like the weird idling of a 5 cylinder engine, not an H4.
ever heard a Subaru SVX with an aftermarket exhaust? Sounds like a Volvo 850GLT/R...which happens to have a I5 turbo. Funny b/c my S60R sounds nothing like it.
Old 12-31-08, 10:26 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Are you kidding?
nope, if its not rear wheel drive I don't consider it a sports car, thats why I don't consider the Celica a sports car, if we got the all trac, sure.

Two things that don't belong in sports cars, automatics and front wheel drive IMHO.
Old 12-31-08, 11:54 AM
Koma

nope, if its not rear wheel drive I don't consider it a sports car, thats why I don't consider the Celica a sports car, if we got the all trac, sure.

Two things that don't belong in sports cars, automatics and front wheel drive IMHO.
Back in the day Celicas were RWD.
Old 12-31-08, 03:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Back in the day Celicas were RWD.
Thanks Koma. I was just about to ask if t4t was 18 or something.Not only was it rwd before the supra came out, to consider no celica as a sports car you would also not consider the evo, the sti, the Integra type R and Civic type R to not be sports cars either. I've driven stock Rs that are better sorted out handling and suspension-wise than many rwd cars.

Also, tell touring cars, Le mans cars, Formula 1 cars and rally cars that they shouldn't have automatic transmissions.

Anyway, back on topic, I hope we at least see a concept sometime this year and it really doesn't take until 2012 to come out. I really hope it can be close to the specs what we hear... as close to 2200lbs as possible, and around 200hp. An awd turbo version sometime down the line would be cool too.

Wondering as well if we will ever see the FT-HS come to reality. Also, isn't the scion tC long overdue for a replacement?
Old 12-31-08, 03:29 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
SLegacy>
this is supposed to be a SPORTS (well, not sports, maybe sporty) CAR. The SVX was never a sports car.
Then we have very different definitions of what a sports car is.
Old 01-01-09, 10:56 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Thanks Koma. I was just about to ask if t4t was 18 or something.Not only was it rwd before the supra came out, to consider no celica as a sports car you would also not consider the evo, the sti, the Integra type R and Civic type R to not be sports cars either. I've driven stock Rs that are better sorted out handling and suspension-wise than many rwd cars.

Also, tell touring cars, Le mans cars, Formula 1 cars and rally cars that they shouldn't have automatic transmissions.

Anyway, back on topic, I hope we at least see a concept sometime this year and it really doesn't take until 2012 to come out. I really hope it can be close to the specs what we hear... as close to 2200lbs as possible, and around 200hp. An awd turbo version sometime down the line would be cool too.

Wondering as well if we will ever see the FT-HS come to reality. Also, isn't the scion tC long overdue for a replacement?
From what I hear the tC is being replaced after this 2009 model year, so supposedly late 2009 a replacement will come around. Hopefully the 09 tC RS5.0 isn't better than the current 08 tC RS4.0 that I just bought.
Old 01-01-09, 11:31 AM
LexFather

This car is being tested in Area 51......I'll believe it when I see it...

Old 01-01-09, 12:46 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I don't get why is Toyota always late into the game, the Genesis Coupe is coming out soon, I feel that by the time Toyota comes out with this car it will be too little too late

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!