Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Audio & Electronics: Lexus Mark Levinson vs. Audi Bang & Olufsen vs. Acura ELS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 09:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Car Audio & Electronics: Lexus Mark Levinson vs. Audi Bang & Olufsen vs. Acura ELS

An extensive comparison, eight clickable pages, from Car Audio & Electronics magazine. The B&O system begins on page 2, the ML system on page 4, the ELS system on page 7. The scores are as follows:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...reo/index.html

Summary final paragraph/section, with references of ergonomics details and scores of each:

Lexus LS 460 L Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound System:

Lexus did a praiseworthy job in regards to the ergonomics of this car, especially considering the amount of technology involved. With everything in easy reach and of a large format, concentration can be focused on the road. And then there's the audio system. It's the best performing OEM offering I've heard to date and is worth much more than its asking price. One thing's for sure, with Mark Levinson in your Lexus, you won't mind being stuck in traffic.

Sound Off
Average score
Audio: 8
Ergonomics: 9
Navigation: 9
Audi S8 Bang & Olufsen Advance Audio System:

For an S8 buyer the $6,300 ($500 more for the optional Sirius satellite radio) for the B&O system probably won't seem like a lot of money. At less than 10% of the car's purchase price, it's reasonable - proportionally speaking, of course. Perhaps some owners might want DVD playback at that price instead of the iPod tray with the USB connection. Frankly, I'd take the latter and perhaps add some all-in-one DVDs for the headrests for the little one. That would probably about do it. All in all, this is a dream car for most and definitely a vehicle worth dreaming about.

Sound Off
Average score
Audio: 6.7
Ergonomics: 7.2
Navigation: 7.5
Acura MDX ELS Surround Premium Sound System:

The daring Acura showed by including DVD-A playback and using more optimal speaker placement is counteracted to some degree by the sound quality of the system. It lacks power and dynamics. In other words: It's a bit bland or "safe," as though Acura/Panasonic didn't want to offend anyone. The system sounds better when listening to DVD-As than when playing regular CDs, but considering that many of us still have most of our music collections in the latter form, we would want an audio system that excelled with both formats. [...] Still, the wealth of features in the MDX is not something to easily dismiss. When you consider what you get for the price, this has to be the best vehicle in its class overall.

Sound Off
Average score
Audio: 6.7
Ergonomics: 6.5
Navigation: 7.8
Individual reviewers' specific evaluations follow, with interesting details on the pros and cons of each system. Based on this review, the Lexus ML system is the most well-rounded of the bunch, with good sound quality, easy to use, and also an overall sense of excellence. It is the closest yet to approaching the capabilities/narrowing the gap with top aftermarket systems, based on this article.

Thanks also to CL member AM1 who first spotted this article in Car Audio magazine; the article was just posted online according to search listings. The comparison is officially titled Luxury Car Premium Stereo, and I guess these three systems are some of the best exemplars on the market.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio & Electronics: Lexus Mark Levinson vs. Audi Bang & Olufsen vs. Acura ELS-audio-comparo.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 09-12-07 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-10-07, 09:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow a win by quite a margin. Congrats to Lexus and Mark Levinson on taking factory car audio systems to the next level, again!
Old 09-10-07, 10:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Congrats for the good showing
Old 09-11-07, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

having experience in several ML systems and comparing to system from other manufacturers, stock to stock the reference system in the ls460 is really incredible
Old 09-11-07, 03:11 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats Mark Levinson
Old 09-11-07, 04:56 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Its seems like they have done their homework well.
Old 09-11-07, 06:55 AM
LexFather

Wow, not even close. ML> your OEM audio system, lol

Old 09-11-07, 07:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I have yet to hear the ML system in the LS460.

I'd really like to though.

I'll say from the sounds of it, it must be a huge improvement over the ML systems found in other Lexus models. I've heard the ML in the 3rd gen GS and wasn't that impressed.
Old 09-11-07, 10:50 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

im surprised the B&O system isnt better
Old 09-11-07, 11:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

B&O have always been known to be more flashy than functional.

The Acura's system did pretty well for a panasonic system. I was never too fond of Panasonic OEM system. However, the Acura costs less than $50k so the system seems to suit it pretty well.

The Audi's system is overpriced. Then again, the $6k is nothing for people making 6-digits a year.
Old 09-11-07, 12:45 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow I thought Acura Nav systems were the best
Old 09-11-07, 12:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When coupled with a touchscreen, there is a major improvement in the Acura system, it seems. The review here wished for one like on the LS. They also said the general setup was difficult; maybe the **** configuration doesn't help.

They did like the GS ML that they tested earlier.
Old 09-11-07, 01:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

even the much cheaper acura ELS system gave B&O a hell of a fight audio and navigation wise, only losing out in ergnomics

I would like them to rate the IS/GS ML systems too

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-11-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 02:02 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
B&O have always been known to be more flashy than functional.
Actually not. What makes B&O special is that they combine eye-catching design and unmatchable ergonomics with top-notch sound and picture quality.

What surprises and impresses me is that the Acura system was included in this comparo, and that it did so well considering how much less expensive the vehicle is.
Old 09-11-07, 02:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Exactly. B&O has that eye-catching design, but for the price you pay, the sound quality is not up to par. The B&O is no slouch when it comes to audio, if you factor out the price. The majority of the price is coming from the exclusive designs.

Match up the B&O against some B&W of the same price, I will gladly take B&W. The B&O sounds nice, but not nearly nice enough to warrant the hefty price tag.

Then again, I'm not made out of money

Quick Reply: Car Audio & Electronics: Lexus Mark Levinson vs. Audi Bang & Olufsen vs. Acura ELS