Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Go all superspy & install a FINGERPRINT IMMOBILISER in your CAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 11:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Go all superspy & install a FINGERPRINT IMMOBILISER in your CAR

FINGERPRINT IMMOBILISER

Go all superspy and get fingerprint recognition for your car

Whilst surfing the web we came across this little gadget – the ATRD M10 fingerprint scanner, after keyless entry I guess this development was inevitable.

When you get into your car, pop the key in the ignition and twist until the electrics begin to work. Then place your finger on the scanner and wait for the green LED to tell you that you’re allowed to use the car. If you're not recognised the car won't start.

The system itself uses wireless modules within the car to immobilise it – making the whole system nigh on impossible to find and remove if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

The system can store up to ten prints and there is even a ‘valet mode’ so you can turn it off when the car is being cleaned/maintained by someone not on your list of ten special people.

There are different modules available for the M10, making it compatible with any alarm or immobiliser system.

Looking at the pictures it doesn't look neat enough to be production ready, but as ideas go, it's not a bad one.....not sure what happens if it goes wrong though.
pics HERE

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-24-07 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 01:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Wow, pretty soon when the technology gets cheaper, we will all have super ID gadgets, all around. Computers, TV's, Cars!
Old 08-24-07, 01:40 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like this idea, but it leads to plenty of issues with longevity and reliability. What happens when the fingerprint scanner craps out? What happens if the surface is damaged? What happens if there is major interference on the wireless device?

Modern wireless networking such as G and N protocols have some VERY robust frequency hopping techniques that broadcast varying datapackets on varying/random frequencies. It makes them rather hard to completely jam and has self-correcting error detection. But it is possible to jam on purpose and its a possibility by accident. There are several other ways they could have implemented the system and still kept the location of the logic-module a secret.
Old 08-24-07, 01:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

fundamental problem. quite some people their fingerprints are actually much harder to detect. my mom is a good example. they would have one hell of a time starting a car
Old 08-24-07, 06:11 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I foresee some “fun” problems with this one. The scanner craps out and it will not read the print and it will not go into valet mode….. Now what????
Old 08-24-07, 06:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Or what if I happen to be on vacation and I want someone from my family to drive the car (for whatever reason)? How will the system grant access to those people?
Old 08-24-07, 07:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there's a command somewheres to allow more people access to the car. Its a simple matter of storing the information, really. But yeah, you can get screwed if it ever malfunctions.

Maybe make the reader and other breakable electronics easily replaceable under a warranty, and the data storage mechanism (and circuit logic) could be on the ECU.
Old 08-25-07, 11:04 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bugs are worked out, this could find its way into your next Lexus in the near future. I think it is an innovative idea! Sure, a few major bugs, but there are even some problems with the SmartKey that I've read about.