Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: 2009 Honda Pilot (Early Reactions Sour on Design of New Honda Pilot - Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 01:38 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the grille area looks like the Nissan X-Trail
Old 01-14-08, 02:17 PM
LexFather

People can bash me all they want, they have one ugly lineup and this continues that trend.
And I will again be the first to say Honda can sell ugly, b/c its a Honda. People just buy them no matter what.They are great for carrying the kids around, once you get past the crying the kids are doing just looking at the Honda on the way to day care.

THis is actually a better looking "Jeep" than the new Jeeps.

So MDX based, uses a V-6, nothing new.

Old 01-14-08, 04:02 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
People can bash me all they want, they have one ugly lineup and this continues that trend.
And I will again be the first to say Honda can sell ugly, b/c its a Honda. People just buy them no matter what.They are great for carrying the kids around, once you get past the crying the kids are doing just looking at the Honda on the way to day care.

THis is actually a better looking "Jeep" than the new Jeeps.

So MDX based, uses a V-6, nothing new.
I agree, the Honda line up is not pretty. But, the cars don't break. My ES 350 is great looking, but she's going to the shop again tomorrow. The thing has been a disaster. The Pilot has not one warranty claim to date.
Old 01-14-08, 04:21 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys make it sound hideous. It has a functional timeless shape that you can trace its heritage from. This will definitely age well. Honda/Acura's are developing a patent front grill that makes a strong brand recognition statement.
Old 01-14-08, 04:34 PM
DonP
Driver School Candidate

well its too bad we cant see a damn thing! lol
Old 01-14-08, 04:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
You guys make it sound hideous. It has a functional timeless shape that you can trace its heritage from. This will definitely age well. Honda/Acura's are developing a patent front grill that makes a strong brand recognition statement.
HE disagrees

Old 01-14-08, 05:06 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

That's what I thought too.....then I put my glasses on.
Old 01-14-08, 05:33 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

I don't like the exterior at all. The interior is "interesting". I'm not so sure about the placement of the shifter. It seems like it could get in the way when moving your right hand from the steering wheel to the audio/heating/cooling controls.
Old 01-14-08, 05:37 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rosskoss
That's what I thought too.....then I put my glasses on.
would that be the lexus coolaid glasses?
Old 01-14-08, 05:46 PM
LexFather

You do realize you and one other person like how it looks in these pics in this thread nd the VAST majority think it is not very attractive.

I checked to see what the Honda owners think, they don't like it much either.
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382502

So if HONDA faithful think its bad, and you don't, It is clear YOU are the one sipping TONS of kool-aid. Here are some quotes to make things easy for you.

Is it just me or is the new Pilot really ugly?
transformer the movie 2, 2009 release
Horrific. Front end is a disaster and the rest of the vehicle has been purged of any curves. It's like a Honda Commander (and that's not a good thing).
Can you say Isuzu Trooper?
Maybe Honda wants to help Mazda sales
That whole front end fails
I feel as though these concept pictures really deviated from the previous ones. The ones we saw before looked WAY better, like a totally different vehicle.
hmmmm..reminds me of a slab of steel...that's all
Another bad design from Honda. Honda is failing. It looks like a Trooper/Jeep bastard child.Honda: Going forward in reverse.
The entire design sucks.
The answer to the original question is: It's not you, this thing is really UGLY. There goes sales figures for the future Pilot.
^ And Honda's tradition of concepts that look no where near as good as their drawing's continues.
absolutely dreadful... the rear end is the only semi-redeeming quality

So I am going to suggest you look in the mirror before making accusations towards others.

Old 01-14-08, 06:15 PM
ZestJDM
Driver

i doubt thats the production car...it looks like the combination of Dodge Nitro and Dodge Durango
Old 01-14-08, 06:38 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

No, that would be the "ability to see something for what it is" glasses.

Everyone simply loves throwing the "heritage" word around. The Pilot came out in 2002. That's 6 years ago. There's no "heritage" there.

And FWIW, the Acura MDX is no better in design.
Old 01-14-08, 07:23 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rosskoss
No, that would be the "ability to see something for what it is" glasses.

Everyone simply loves throwing the "heritage" word around. The Pilot came out in 2002. That's 6 years ago. There's no "heritage" there.

And FWIW, the Acura MDX is no better in design.
heritage is a continuation from a previous generation. In this case, it inherits the same basic block shape. It also shares the grill used across the new honda line.

The overall body design is pretty simple and elegant, it may not be radical or different, but there is nothing that can even REMOTELY be deemed hideous about it. Only the headlights are questionable. As this is still a prototype, I highly doubt they will even look the same in production. I would like to see this in black as I think design elements are getting lost in the silver.

Last edited by leedogg; 01-14-08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 07:31 PM
LexFather

heritage is a continuation from a previous generation. In this case, it inherits the same basic block shape. It also shares the grill used across the new honda line.

The overall body design is pretty simple and elegant, there is nothing that can even REMOTELY be deemed hideous about it. Only the headlights are questionable. I would like to see this in black as I think design elements are getting lost in the silver.
I'm confused. So the majority of people, that think it is hideous, should be saying "its gorgeous and elegant"?

Heritage is decades in the making and is more than making a mall mobile. A generation one to two change is a change, nothing about heritage, its EVOLUTION.

This is heritage.

This is evolution (or the contrary)

Old 01-14-08, 07:43 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I wonder how many hints it will take from the MDX.
isnt the grill kinda looking similar???

Quick Reply: Spied: 2009 Honda Pilot (Early Reactions Sour on Design of New Honda Pilot - Page 4)