Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Announces 10-Year/100,000 Mile Powertrain Warranty On Certified Used Vehicles

Old 06-01-07, 08:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Hyundai Announces 10-Year/100,000 Mile Powertrain Warranty On Certified Used Vehicles

Saturday, June 02, 2007

PRESS RELEASE: HYUNDAI ANNOUNCES ENHANCED PRE-OWNED PROGRAM WITH AN INDUSTRY FIRST, 10 YEAR/100,000 MILE POWERTRAIN WARRANT

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CALIF., 05/30/2007 Hyundai Motor America today announced an industry first with its new Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty, boasting a 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty on used vehicles going back five model years with less than 60,000 miles. The enhanced pre-owned program and pre-owned warranty provides buyers with an added level of comfort and satisfaction with their vehicle purchase. The enhanced pre-owned program was launched to Hyundai dealers in May 2007, with warranty being effective from date of original sale. Hyundai's enhanced Certified Pre-Owned vehicle program will provide buyers with:

Powertrain 10 year/100,000 mile warranty
150-Point Inspection
$50 deductible
Vehicles up to five model years old with less than 60,000 miles are eligible
Roadside assistance
Rental car coverage (up to $35/day for up to 10 days)
Towing coverage (up to $75 per occurrence)
Travel breakdown coverage (up to $375 per occurrence) Diagnostics
Related damage for specific parts
Fluids
New car financing rates through Hyundai Motor Financing Company

"We are very excited to launch an industry first," said Kimberly Walker, Hyundai Motor America's national manager of Assurance Products. "Hyundai's new vehicles feature America's Best Warranty™ and adding the same level of value to our pre-owned vehicles is just another example of how Hyundai stands behind their vehicles."

Additional options available to the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty include service contracts such as the Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned Wrap Contract which raises the comprehensive coverage on non-powertrain components, Hyundai Vehicle Care Maintenance Program and Hyundai Road Hazard Tire and Wheel option.

Hyundai Motor America is working with Jim Moran & Associates, Inc. and its affiliated companies comprising the JM&A Group on this industry first, enhanced certified pre-owned program.

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through more than 750 dealerships nationwide.
Old 06-01-07, 08:49 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket warranty companies wont like this 1 bit.

especially if this becomes a trend
Old 06-01-07, 08:52 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to Hyundai! Nothing says "we stand by our product" better than that!

Toyota should definitely keep an eye on Hyundai.
Old 06-01-07, 10:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Kudos to Hyundai! Nothing says "we stand by our product" better than that!

Toyota should definitely keep an eye on Hyundai.
Toyota has been keeping an eye on Hyundai -- in how they take ideas from them...

Hyundai not only need to make great cars, but they also need to be innovative and progressive. Why buy a used Hyundai when something better is always in the horizon? Sure, the price is nice, but "you get what you pay for." For some people, that's enough. For most people, it isn't...
Old 06-01-07, 11:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

dang, too bad I hate them..... still won't help the failing image
Old 06-02-07, 02:32 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For a while I was thinking of getting a Hyundai for a daily beater to replace the Civic and later the Camry. I would trade in the 95 Camry in a heart beat for a good used Hyundai Sonata or something with a warranty like this. Funny though, looking through the local classifieds I have a hard time finding much used Hyundai's for sale. I guess owners keep them a while.
Old 06-02-07, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Hyundai not only need to make great cars, but they also need to be innovative and progressive. Why buy a used Hyundai when something better is always in the horizon? Sure, the price is nice, but "you get what you pay for." For some people, that's enough. For most people, it isn't...
No......it's not a matter of "getting what you pay for". You are living in the past. What you are forgetting, Philip, is that today, unlike the past, with a Hyundai, you get MORE than what you pay for. Their vehicles, today, offer Toyota quality at Hyundai prices. Admittedly, Hyundai's prices have climbed a little to reflect at least part of that increase in quality, but in general they are still a bargain....some of the best bargains on the market. That is why the company has been so successful recently.

And you also have to remember that Hyundai, generally, makes bargain daily drivers, not track-burners, 0-60 machines, ultra-luxury vehicles (although luxury models are coming), or niche-market products. Hyundai products don't excel in HP/torque figures, BMW/Porsche-type handling, or Lexus LS460-type luxury. But as daily drivers, more and more people are becoming convinced they are the way to go. I considered one myself except that they don't offer a comparable AWD product to the Subaru Outbacks and Forester....the Tucson and Santa Fe (as well as the new Veracruz) are higher-stance, more traditional car-based SUV's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-07 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-02-07, 07:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai products don't excel in HP/torque figures, BMW/Porsche-type handling, or Lexus LS460-type luxury.
And yet, Hyundai has recently been comparing themselves to BMW and Lexus...

Old 06-02-07, 08:30 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
And yet, Hyundai has recently been comparing themselves to BMW and Lexus...

A smart marketing campaign getting people to actually think of them in comparison, if they eventually want to actually be on the same level...which might not be that far off at their current progress.
Old 06-02-07, 11:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai products don't excel in HP/torque figures, BMW/Porsche-type handling, or Lexus LS460-type luxury.
Am I the only one seeing no real reason to buy it?

"it'll run an impressive ten years"

Yeah? Well a dog turd will stink in the yard for an impressive 6 months that doesn't mean I want it there.
Old 06-03-07, 03:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Am I the only one seeing no real reason to buy it?

"it'll run an impressive ten years"

Yeah? Well a dog turd will stink in the yard for an impressive 6 months that doesn't mean I want it there.
I would agree if Hyundais WERE dog turds or had 6-month warranties.........fortunately, neither is the case. Just because they are not track burners or status symbols does not make them lousy products.

In fact, 30 years ago, the Oldsmobile Cutlass (now gone) was the big status symbol in the marketplace and the country's top seller. Many people were laughing at Toyotas and Hondas and calling them "dog turds".........and look what happened.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-07 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-03-07, 07:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

A move no doubt to try and increase brand awareness among consumers in an effort to increase Hyundai sales.