Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ticket question and advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 11:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infra917
if your gonna show up to court, change the appearance day. officers usually schedule all their tickets for the same day of the week (their off day)
experience has shown me this

but can i ask: why did u you post this question all over the forums? i've come accross it i think 4 times between when i said the first thing and now when i'm typing this second thing ...
Old 05-23-07, 11:27 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i got a red-light violation ticket recently. I just paid it and registered for online traffic school. My advice is just pay it, take traffic school, and learn from this experience. If you can become a safer driver, and avoid just 1 accident, this is money well spent. IMHO.

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Hey all,

I was stopped today doing 90 at 65 in my car and the fine is $208.50 (is this the right amount in FL?). This is my first ticket and the FHP said he did not want to cut me a break since a radar detector was in use. Could I please get some opinion on what I should do (fight it, lawyer to reduce the fee, pay it). The thing is, I know I was going a little too fast off I95 but he said I was going 90 and he didn't show me his radar gun. He was traveling the other direction, was he just guessing how fast I was going or could he have just clocked my speed?

BTW what does this mean?
On the ticket it says "Note: if your lisense, registration, tag, insurance was valid at the time of the citation was issued. You may present it within (30) days to clerk of court and the Charge will be dismissed. A fee may be assessed."

I know that there are alot of officers on this site, could you kindly please assist me in my best decision
Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 05-24-07, 12:40 AM
sprayin IS
Rookie

call and see if you can just send it in the mail or pay the fine out of court. if you can it might save some court costs. i got a 93 in a 70 not too long ago and was thinking the judge wouldnt like that too much so i just paid it out of court all $184.00 of it. if you do, do this make sure you get a receipt and keep it in your car with your insurance, registration ect. ect.. if you get pulled over and the cop says something about not showing in court or something, show him the receipt and he cant do anything about it.

good luck with it all...

Last edited by sprayin IS; 05-24-07 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 01:27 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i take it to a lawyer.. 70 dollar fee.. and probably 100 dollar court fee.. no points no driving school.. done deal
And where does one find these $70 lawyers?
Old 05-24-07, 02:25 AM
acl15
Lead Lap

My advice would be to make an appointment for an arraignment and go. At the arraignment you can either plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest. Unless you have a very good reason for why you shouldn't get the ticket, you should plead guilty. Don't plead no contest. It's for people that got into an accident and don't want to say guilty or else they are considered at fault automatically under the law.

Every judge that I've seen has given a reduced fine at the arraignment, at least a 25% reduction. One time I only had to pay about 20% of the original fine. (It was pretty much the processing fee because I had agreed to go to traffic school so he took away the rest of the fine). And based on what you've said, I would just go to court and pay, that's all you can do. Radar guns are incredibly accurate and are still accurate when used while moving.

If you really want to get out of the ticket I guess you could ask the judge at the arraignment if the officer that cited you is the kind that always shows up at court. If he says that your officer doesn't show up much, you could say not guilty and hope he doesn't show up at your later scheduled court hearing. I think in most cases the officer has to not show up multiple times before the judge can throw out the case. But this of course is very dependent on the officer and judges you get so I wouldn't try it unless you want to spend lots of time.

Oh and I don't think a lawyer would be appropriate for your kind of case. Lawyers are usually hired if you know you can't show up and need someone to appear in court on your behalf or for the more serious cases like if you get multiple points.

This is my experience with California's traffic court btw, don't know if the rules are the same in Florida.
Old 05-24-07, 04:44 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

90 in a 65? Sorry, but that's just 'effing dumb. Thank you for helping to make FL roads even less safe than they already are.

I'd pay the ticket, and move on... and please slow down.

Last edited by ff_; 05-24-07 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 04:54 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the good thing is, you live in Florida! I Live in Broward County and down here if you get a ticket, 3 days later, your mail box will be flooded with postcards from lawyers wanting to defend your case, often, for as little as $35.00 + court fees. The traffic lawyers have a good working relationship with the judges and arrive in court with "bulk" cases. The judge generally dismisses them all. You Get to keep a clean record and just pay the court fees. Many lawyers will even guarantee your case will be dismissed or you don't pay.
I LOVE FLORIDA!
Old 05-24-07, 05:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
BTW what does this mean?
On the ticket it says "Note: if your lisense, registration, tag, insurance was valid at the time of the citation was issued. You may present it within (30) days to clerk of court and the Charge will be dismissed. A fee may be assessed."
The above would only apply if you had failed to show evidence of same and were actually also cited for the failure to show them in addition to having been cited for speeding.

Also, there is a provision for driver school that may help you avoid points, this depends on your driving record.
Old 05-24-07, 05:08 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem with delaying it is that the police, when they are needed to show up in court, either do it while on duty or when they do it off duty, they get overtime pay. I would try the delay and maybe the cop will be on vacation that week or something may prevent him from coming that particular day / time. Cost is zero to try.
Old 05-24-07, 05:49 AM
Narco
Driver School Candidate

go to court, plead not guilty, and return on court date.

Ask file motion for discovery on the certification of the radar gun, the calibration papers, and testing.

Radar/Lasers must be certified yearly. Ask the officer, if he certifies calibration daily. He cannot he can only test calibration. Then ask for his test calibration log. Dont ask me how i know, I used to write alot of tickets, I got mixed up like this once. Then i kept a log book, and never lost one since.

The officer must be certified
The unit must be calibrated yearly/ test calibrated daily
Department must have record of yearly calibration, and officers certification to operate.
Officer must keep log of daily test calibration and results.

GL in Court
Old 05-24-07, 05:56 AM
syn1313
Rookie

i would go to court, if this is your first ticket, the judge might let you off. My wife went to court for her first one and got let off cause it was her first (and maybe cause she was a pretty little girl who did not know what she was doing) yeah right.. she forgot her cousin was a cop, now she just say, hey do you know (so and so) ,, yeah,, that's my brother. O.K youg lady,, slow down and tell (so and so) he owes me one... that never works for me.. good luck
Old 05-24-07, 06:19 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the best thing to do is call up Ticket Clinic, they charge around $70 and will have your case dismissed 99% of the time. My friend has gone to them 16 times lol, they should have a picture of him framed on the wall .
Old 05-24-07, 06:27 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Well, the good thing is, you live in Florida! I Live in Broward County and down here if you get a ticket, 3 days later, your mail box will be flooded with postcards from lawyers wanting to defend your case, often, for as little as $35.00 + court fees. The traffic lawyers have a good working relationship with the judges and arrive in court with "bulk" cases. The judge generally dismisses them all. You Get to keep a clean record and just pay the court fees. Many lawyers will even guarantee your case will be dismissed or you don't pay.
I LOVE FLORIDA!
That's a sweet deal. Here in Cali they changed the law. B4 you could just tell the court you'll go to traffic school and pay no fine. Now you pay the fine and go to traffic school for a clean record.
Old 05-24-07, 06:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Moving radar guns are less accurate than stationary radar guns, you maybe able to argue that in court. Plus police radar have to be calibrated every so often, ask to see the calibration report on the gun used.

Good Luck
Old 05-24-07, 06:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Why didn't your detector help?

Quick Reply: ticket question and advise please