Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-HS to debut in 2009(Toyota exec says FT-HS could be ‘Supra of the future’ )

Old 02-29-08, 11:05 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A production FT-HS with li-ion batteries would raise the price. I think Toyota would want to keep the cost down. I think some of you might be forgetting that the 3.5L could be tuned for higher power in order to achieve 400HP with the hybrid system.

Also while some of you may not like the FT-HS exterior, it's been a hit so far at autoshows and keep in mind it's a concept. The production car would lose many of those sharp edges and strange angles.
Old 02-29-08, 11:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
A production FT-HS with li-ion batteries would raise the price. I think Toyota would want to keep the cost down. I think some of you might be forgetting that the 3.5L could be tuned for higher power in order to achieve 400HP with the hybrid system.
Your point about the low pricing prohibitting the use of better batteries is a good one, but regarding the output of the 3.5L the official PR already stated that the 3.5L makes 292hp, which is identical to what the GS450h's engine makes.
Old 02-29-08, 11:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Your point about the low pricing prohibitting the use of better batteries is a good one, but regarding the output of the 3.5L the official PR already stated that the 3.5L makes 292hp, which is identical to what the GS450h's engine makes.
You're right, but what I meant to say was that for the production car the engine may very well have a higher output instead of the car using expensive li-ion batteries.
Old 02-29-08, 05:02 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also while some of you may not like the FT-HS exterior, it's been a hit so far at autoshows and keep in mind it's a concept. The production car would lose many of those sharp edges and strange angles.
I for one love the design! For once, Toyota designs a car that does not look so generic but refreshing. Just get rid of the useless rear seats and it's production ready. Didn't Toyota say the production version is coming out summer 2009? I could have sworn I read it in Automobile mag???
Old 05-06-12, 06:31 PM
LexFather

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11205044...ted-hybridized

Toyota's sports car lineup has seen a resurgence with the introduction of the GT 86, but a new report is indicating the company is about to green light the highly-anticipated Supra successor.
According to Motor Trend, the model will ride on the same chassis that underpinned the GRMN MRS prototype. Additional information is limited, but the magazine says power will be provided by a mid-mounted, hybridized 3.5-liter V6 engine and two in-wheel electric motors. The petrol engine would reportedly power the rear wheels, while the electric motors would turn the front. This setup would give the car an all-wheel drive system as well as an output in excess of 400 hp (298 kW / 405 PS).
If everything pans out, the production model - which is unlikely to revive the Supra name - could be introduced by late 2015 and retail for less than $60,000.
Source: Motor Trend

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11205044...#ixzz1u8wkr6S5

Old 05-06-12, 06:34 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

These are some very exciting times for TMC.

Don't badge it a scion this time