Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Small CUV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 09:57 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rx(should have named it the ex) = es, gx = gs, lx = ls, so i guess the ix to follow with the is? makes sense to me.
Old 04-07-11, 01:36 PM
LexFather

Thread bump....

Seems plans for a vehicle below the RX are catching steam....the RX continues to grow in size. The original version was 180inches long, the current one about 190 or so. The Cute Utes are all the size of the original RX.

Also seems Lexus wants to get a 7 seater that is car based. Could the next RX grow to be a 7 seater and a new smaller 5 seater come?

Old 04-07-11, 02:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the 1st gen to 2nd gen was the biggest change in size, growing about a 7 inches in length, but the new 3rd gen is less than an inch longer than the 2nd gen. I think if they were to make the RX a 7 seater, they would have already done so, and wouldn't wait another 6 years to do it. Also three 7 seater SUVs would be unnecessary.

If they were to make a smaller CUV type vehicle, it would just steal sales from the RX. I say dont mess with a perfect formula
Old 04-07-11, 02:11 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Imo, a bigger, 7-seat RX would cannibalize some GX sales. RX wouldn't be right in any other form. It really is killing its competition and by messing with that could spell disaster. On the other hand, a small, Rav-4 based cute ute would be interesting to see but give it a trial run in other markets first before bringing it stateside.
Old 04-07-11, 03:00 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RX > GX

RX lives as a bigger suv, GX will be sidelined making way for the IX 250/350
Old 04-07-11, 03:30 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Lexus really doesn't need another SUV.
Toyota already has RAV4, FJ Cruiser, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Highlander, 4Runner. Lexus has RX, GX, LX. 9 SUVs.
Lexus can really use a 3-row crossover IMO. Very few people take the GX off-road anyway. Might as well make it a crossover for more competitive fuel economy and interior/cargo room.
Old 04-07-11, 03:36 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Gx

Ford's success in turning the Explorer into a CUV has got me thinking that maybe they could keep the RX a 2-row & make the GX a 3-row CUV?
Old 04-07-11, 03:45 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to see a Lexus Venza. Kind of in the middle of a CUV and car. The CT, IMO, does not fit the bill.
Old 04-07-11, 03:53 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
If they were to make a smaller CUV type vehicle, it would just steal sales from the RX. I say dont mess with a perfect formula
Not necessarily. Just like when Lexus introduced the IS, it never stole sales from the ES. The IS has been out for awhile now with many variants (from diesel, convertible to performance) sold around the world and the ES still outsells the IS.

I think adding and IX 250\350 it would increase sales for Lexus and not eat into the RX market.

Last edited by Trexus; 04-07-11 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 03:55 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the RX gaining some size, keep it sporty and I will take it over the GX
Old 04-07-11, 04:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

x3 competitor - no care...

x6 competitor - where do I sign?
Old 04-07-11, 04:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

X3 competitor, do care to see...

I personally am interested in a smaller Lexus SUV. I'm one (of the few here) that likes GLK, new X3, soon to be new Vertrek/Escape, all of the named are very similar in size. I'd like to see a Lexus in that size category, but I realize historically this category has not shown big sales volume.
Old 04-07-11, 05:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Not necessarily. Just like when Lexus introduced the IS, it never stole sales from the ES. The IS has been out for awhile now with many variants (from diesel, convertible to performance) sold around the world and the ES still outsells the IS.

I think adding and IX 250\350 it would increase sales for Lexus and not eat into the RX market.
the IS is smaller and a sporty variant to the entry level sedan. A smaller RX would be an RX with 5 seats, versus a new RX with 7 seats. Not too much variability there. Plus the IS had room to grow to a convertible and F model. THe SUVs do not.

and somebody asked for a Lexus Venza? Thats the RX!
Old 04-07-11, 06:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF

and somebody asked for a Lexus Venza? Thats the RX!
Yes (Venza and RX) mechanically very similar, similar footprint, similar performance and fuel efficiency. It would not be a smaller CUV like the ones offered by BMW, Mercedes and Acura for example, as mentioned by OP.
Old 04-19-11, 02:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Lexus can really use a 3-row crossover IMO. Very few people take the GX off-road anyway. Might as well make it a crossover for more competitive fuel economy and interior/cargo room.
Looks like Infiniti got the memo first. Lexus really needs to get with the game quick or lose even more market share.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110419852

Infiniti JX crossover set for spring 2012 debut

Infiniti plans to add the JX, a midsize seven-passenger crossover vehicle, to its lineup in spring 2012. It will show a concept during the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August and the production version in November at the Los Angeles auto show.

Infiniti gave few details about the JX. It says styling of the JX greenhouse will pick up cues from the Essence concept car that debuted in 2009 at the Geneva motor show.

A three-row crossover will give Infiniti a competitor to vehicles such as the Lexus GX and the Acura MDX.

The move will give the luxury division of Nissan three crossovers. The current two--the EX and the FX--are five-passenger, two-seating-row vehicles. Neither have been big sellers for the brand.

Given the order of Infiniti's lineup, the JX name implies that the new crossover will be larger than the FX.

The only three-row vehicle in the Infiniti lineup now is the recently redesigned QX56 SUV, which can seat up to eight people.

While the JX will almost certainly offer all-wheel drive as an option, it's not known whether the base vehicle will be configured for rear-wheel drive or front-wheel drive. Currently, all Infiniti vehicles in the U.S. market are either rear-drive or all-wheel drive.

But a vehicle the size of the JX might want to use a version of the high-volume platform that underpins the Altima sedan. Nissan has used variants of that platform for the all-wheel-drive Nissan Murano crossover, although that vehicle does not have a third row of seats. But the Altima platform has also been stretched to serve as the base of the three-row Quest minivan. Using the Altima platform would also give Nissan the flexibility to build the Infiniti JX at plants in the United States that build the Altima--in Smyrna, Tenn., and Canton, Miss.

Infiniti has used the J designation before, on the J30 sedan that was sold from 1992 to 1997.

Quick Reply: Lexus Small CUV?