Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to add new models

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 10:04 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus to add new models

Lexus may build a crossover similar to the 2003 HPX concept.

Can Lexus Cross Over?
Luxury brand mulls crossovers, new hybrid

By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 03/04/07, 11:17 pm et

PHOENIX -- High-flying Lexus is studying a plan to slot new vehicles in several key niches, which would fortify an already fast-growing lineup.

America's best-selling luxury brand is conducting market research on:

A seven-passenger crossover larger than the RX 330.

A compact crossover smaller than the RX 330.

A Lexus hybrid with a unique body style.

The fact that Lexus admits to "studying" these segments is a strong indication that it plans to produce the vehicles.

"Lexus does not intend to stop growing," said Bob Carter, the division's general manager. "We have not reached our limit."

The seven-passenger crossover, which probably would be the first of the three to appear, would be similar to the HPX concept that has been around since 2003. Lexus won't talk timing, but it could debut in the spring of 2008 using the rear-drive Lexus GS platform -- and might even appear sooner.

The HPX concept rides on a 116.5-inch wheelbase and is 194.3 inches long, bigger than Lexus' GX 470 SUV. Sources say the new vehicle would not replace the body-on-frame GX in Lexus' lineup.

The compact crossover under study would compete with the BMW X3 and Acura RDX.

The Lexus hybrid being considered would not be a hybrid version of an existing model. It would have its own body style, like Toyota's Prius sedan.

The three models are on top of several vehicles already expected to be added, say Lexus insiders.

Those include coupe and convertible versions of the IS 250/350, likely to arrive in 2008 or 2009. In addition, Lexus probably will announce plans to build the LF-A concept supercar at the Tokyo auto show in October.

Also, Lexus will launch the F line of high-performance cars. The IS-F arrives in December. Insiders say a GS-F version of the GS sedans also is likely.

Not all products being studied are sure to be approved. Those that do get the green light may not appear in all markets, Lexus executives said here at the press introduction of the Lexus LS 600hL hybrid sedan.

For instance, the compact crossover might be a good fit for Europe but could be too downscale for the Lexus brand in America, Carter said.

"The compact-premium market has really taken off in Europe, but it hasn't yet in the U.S.," Carter said.

"We could test the waters. But it doesn't mean you are going to see us going downmarket. Going under our current (price) floor is not a good strategy."

On the other hand, a production version of the HPX would be a good fit for the United States but not for many other markets, said Keith St. Clair, corporate manager of Lexus global strategy.

"We don't force new segments," St. Clair said.

Lexus is on a roll. Sales grew 24.1 percent from 2003 to 2006, to 322,434 units.

Carter says the luxury market has a "tail wind" that will push luxury-vehicle sales from 1.9 million units now to about 2.4 million by early in the next decade. But he wouldn't say how far and how fast he expects Lexus to grow.

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../70304001/1528
Old 03-05-07, 10:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

What happened to "L-Finesse"???
Old 03-05-07, 10:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Hope the power in these babies goes over that of the competition for a change.
Old 03-05-07, 10:36 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine

What happened to "L-Finesse"???
Isn't that the LF-X?
Old 03-05-07, 10:49 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

More is good, but forget adding more SUVs. IS3 like coupe, a real sports coupe, and a high end GT would be nice. The last one is probably the most unrealistic though.
Old 03-05-07, 12:04 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Repost" - similar thread started by yours truly here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269010

The LF-X concept came out before the adoption of L-Finesse. I'm sure that the concept will be heavily changed for production.
Old 03-05-07, 12:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I dunno....if they keep releasing all these cars...it will be dizzying to choose from. Like a flavor of the week. I imagine enough of these platforms will share the same basic chassis/parts. World domination is amusing but I dunno if I'd really want all things to be Toyota. Is there a head count as to how many models Toyota offers as of '07?

Some day like how we say "Xerox", "PhotoShop", "Kleenex"..."Toyota" may soon synonymous with car.
Old 03-05-07, 01:58 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

This design is so conservative you would think it's a Honda. The profile and large rims make me think Murano/FX.

I'm not a fan of SUVs, but everything Toyota produces turns to gold, so who am I to judge.
Old 03-05-07, 02:40 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lubs
This design is so conservative you would think it's a Honda.
Too bland IMO.
Old 03-05-07, 02:45 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

As noted by enigma888, this is a repost.

Thank you for submitting in Car Chat ktiger, but please search before posting as we have many active members here.