ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Modifying cars and Leasing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/268493-modifying-cars-and-leasing.html)

AM1 03-01-07 10:57 PM

Modifying cars and Leasing

does anyone know how strict they are with cars modifications and leasing? I have an 2005 rx330 under a lease for about another year and 6 months. im going to change my tires soon to something with a higher speed rating and a wider tire track. My mechanic says that if i do that they might make me buy the OEM tire size when i return the car, cuz the other tires would not be OEM size. and im probably going to tint the windows really dark......realistically are they going to care? I will probably end up returning the car under the alloted miles anyways...anyone have any ides?:thumbup:

baddis es 03-02-07 05:51 AM

i dont think wider tires and tinted windows would be a problem...you should be ok

Lexmex 03-02-07 06:09 AM

Those things are removable later and should not cause damage later on.

Incidentally, I know of a guy with a 350Z on lease down here who did change out the tires and tint and the dealer gave him no issues...but then again trying to find lease customers down here is like a needle in a haystack.

ff_ 03-02-07 07:45 AM

Like the others have said, I don't see any issues with the tires or tint. If you put the wrong size tires on, and they notice it, they can probably ding you for a new set when you turn the car in. But as long as you keep things on the up-and-up, there should be no issues.

Lil4X 03-02-07 10:27 AM

I've put both wider tires and tint on lease cars without a problem. Engine or suspension mods, body kits and telematics probably should be considered with an eye to being removable before the car is turned in. Consult your leasing company before doing something expensive and/or irreversible.

mmarshall 03-02-07 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by baddis es (Post 2458562)
i dont think wider tires and tinted windows would be a problem...you should be ok

Not sure about tinted windows....that's something that would probably vary from case to case...and whatever state tinting laws apply. Ask before you sign the papers.

Non-factory standard tires, though, CAN be a problem IF the total wheel-tire outside rolling diameter is not exactly the same, or very close to exact, as the tires the car came with. Why? Different-size tires can make the wheels roll faster or slower that they normally would at that speed, and that, of course, can alter both speedometer and odometer readings, which technically would violate the conditions of the lease....and possibly the car's warranty as well.

AM1 03-02-07 10:50 AM

^^^^ thats what im worried about. i would be essentially keeping the diameter the same but changing the width so, techincally the calibrations shouldn't be off.

OC 335d 03-02-07 11:02 AM

If it's only 6 months away, why even bother?

AM1 03-03-07 12:55 AM

its 1 year 6 months away