Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus service Toyota's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 03:13 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will Lexus service Toyota's?

Will Lexus service Toyota's, and if so, can they cover warranty items? I just bought my wife a 2004 4-Runner (V8 4x4) with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty, and would prefer that it be serviced at Lexus.
Old 02-19-07, 03:23 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your local dealers, some toyota dealers are way better then Lexus, but being that the V8 4Runner has a GX470 powertrain they will do routine maintenance/service on it, anything warranty will have to be performed by Toyota and vise versa, if you bring your Lexus to Toyota they do everything but warranty work.

The 4Runner is built like a Chevy, easy to work on maintenance stuff is cake, use yotatech.com and t4r.org to see what other owners are up to, except for the WS Lifetime or 90k trans fluid, the truck can be serviced by most reputable shops that know what their doing
Old 02-19-07, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus and Toyota shops can usually service many of each other's products, although, in most cases, the Toyota dealership will be much cheaper....usually about 50-60% of what a Lexus dealer charges. Neither one, however, can do warranty work for the other......you have to go to the home shop for that.........and you will usually not get some of the perks at a Toyota service shop that you get at a Lexus shop, like hand-washings.
Old 02-19-07, 03:47 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
and you will usually not get some of the perks at a Toyota service shop that you get at a Lexus shop, like hand-washings.
Hand-washings
Old 02-19-07, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
Hand-washings
Yes. Most Saturn, Lexus, and Infiniti dealerships ( the three brands that traditionally pride themselves the most on customer service) hand-wash every vehicle after it is serviced. Other dealerships may or may not....depends on the owner, his policies, his personnel, or what he or she can afford.
Old 02-19-07, 05:25 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by UTGS400
Will Lexus service Toyota's, and if so, can they cover warranty items? I just bought my wife a 2004 4-Runner (V8 4x4) with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty, and would prefer that it be serviced at Lexus.
I would guess that just about any Lexus dealer could be persuaded to service a Toyota. After all, they are in business to make money and the service department is the biggest money maker in a dealership. Having owned Lexus LS cars for the last 17 years, I'm curious why you would want to have your Toyota serviced by a Lexus dealer.

A Lexus dealer probably won't have all the parts needed to perform regular maintenance of your 4-Runner and their mechanics may not have the familiarity with the 4-Runner they would need to make some repairs. And you will likely pay at least twice as much while you watch their plasma TV's and have "free" coffee and bagels in their cushy waiting rooms. But I have to admit, the Lexus waiting room is fun -- it has to have the biggest percentage of "posers" outside of Rodeo Drive that I have seen.

Personally, we have had much better success and far lower prices with indie repair shops with both our Lexus and Toyota branded cars -- and the coffee (no bagels and no Plasma TV, though) at our favority indie repair shop is just as good as at the Lexus dealer.
Old 02-19-07, 05:50 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

I found out that my local dealer will service the 4runner, however I would not get a loaner when I brought it in (?). And they told me they can do warranty work on toyota's, and toyota dealerships can do warranty work on Lexus. The only thing they have to do is call for approval prior to doing the work.

Without the loaner, it may not be worth taking it to them...I am more than willing to pay extra for the loaner.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-19-07, 08:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I remember the last time I was up in San Antonio at the Lexus dealer and my service guy told me that a lot people brought their Landcruisers for service there.
Old 02-20-07, 05:07 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I remember the last time I was up in San Antonio at the Lexus dealer and my service guy told me that a lot people brought their Landcruisers for service there.
Apparently a good amount of people with the V8 4x4 4Runner's take their car to the lexus dealership in Dallas. The dealership said that the engine and drivetrain are identical to the GX.
Old 02-20-07, 05:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why???? Lexus will hit you with a higher service charge. Stick with Toyota.
Old 02-20-07, 05:35 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Why? Because there is a Lexus dealership with employees I trust 2 minutes from work. The closest toyota dealership is 15 minutes away (in no traffic) and they are a bunch of crooks. There are some good toyota dealerships near my house, but they are not open on 6:15 AM when I drive to work and they are 27 miles away from work. I don't know how willing they would be to give me a ride to work during traffic hour when it would take over an hour each way (roughly 4 hours of driving for them after picking me up from work as well).

But mainly, what's a little extra money when you can actually trust the dealership.
Old 02-20-07, 05:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UTGS400
Why? Because there is a Lexus dealership with employees I trust 2 minutes from work. The closest toyota dealership is 15 minutes away (in no traffic) and they are a bunch of crooks. There are some good toyota dealerships near my house, but they are not open on 6:15 AM when I drive to work and they are 27 miles away from work. I don't know how willing they would be to give me a ride to work during traffic hour when it would take over an hour each way (roughly 4 hours of driving for them after picking me up from work as well).

But mainly, what's a little extra money when you can actually trust the dealership.
Got you I would do the same.