Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 08:09 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Just wanted to share something which I am confused why they think this.

. They own Mercedes for the last 10 years and their lease is almost up(03 S500). They came in exploring the LS460L. At that time I had a special packaged LS460L Black/Black with Air Suspension. Came with Mark Levinson Stereo/Nav/Rear Seat Upgrade(not executive) and AIr Suspension which is IMPOSSIBLE to find in the Northeast region.

We test drove the car, they loved the power, handling and all the immenities that came along with it. They said it had everything what a Mercedes have. I was thinking it should have been the other way around. Anyway, the deal breaker was the ML STEREO. They said it sounded "tinny, and empty". In my head I was like "WTF?". They said they sat in a S550 and it sounded fantastic. I told them to come back with a CD of theirs instead of playing from the radio. They came back and we put a CD in and I adjusted the tremble, bass, etc.. .. I told them to listen carefully of all the DETAILS that the ML produces which no other factory car stereo can do. They looked impressed, BUT my feeling was that they CAN'T accept the fact that a japanese car might JUST might be better than a car brand that they owned for 10 years. After couple days they decided on the S550 because they felt it was better quality.

Don't get me wrong, WHAT DO THEY FIND BETTER? I never listened to the stereo in a S550 but come on, if it is better, HOW MUCH better can it possibly be?! But hey, its their money, and I tried... but it makes me wonder..

Hey some people are very loyal to Mercedes and has it ENGRAINED in their heads that a Japanese maker cannot be in the same level as Germans. I am not bashing Mercedes NOR their opinions, but lets face it, we are right up there EASILY.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 02-20-07 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 08:22 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

you can't expect everyone to defect to Lexus. in this price range cars aren't necessarily bought for rational reasons.
Old 02-15-07, 08:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Interesting that in another thread the most popular car traded in for the S550 is a previous gen S-Class.

This tells me that people end up becoming accustomed to the "feel" of a given car. I know this happened to me when I went from BMW to Lexus. The "feel" of the Lexus, almost like the steering is not on totally tight, made the car feel like the quality was not there. Hard to explain. Rumor has it the opposite occurs when a long time Lexus owner migrates to BMW and hates the fact that the steering seems to pick everything up and the controls seem so "touchy" - those are my wife's words btw.

With regards to the stereo, while I've heard neither, I do know that the Logic 7 system in my BMW is as good if not better than my old ML in my GS430. The GS430 had better imaging, but that was it - at least to my ears. Might be a good idea for you to swing down to the local MB store and hear their stereo to see if it really does compare or not.
Old 02-15-07, 08:39 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
you can't expect everyone to defect to Lexus. in this price range cars aren't necessarily bought for rational reasons.
Hi Mr. Jones, I know that not everyone is going to defect to lexus, that is FAR from my thinking. If they said I just like the style better, the layout of the interior better, or I feel more comfortable the way I sit in the S550 or just the ride itself , hey I wouldn't have given a second thought. People have said that to me and I totally understand that basis. From my experience, people always HAVE given me rational reasons for choosing a different car. Though the reason is because of the ML stereo had me thinking.. Though this is just *my* opinion and expressing it on here.
Old 02-15-07, 08:43 PM
LexFather

I'm feeling what doug is saying. Many purchases are "feel good" purchases and even though the LS might be on par or better, the S550 makes them feel good. We can all describe that feeling.

Also with them having a Benz for 10 years, were they unhappy? If they were happy or were not really wanting to leave, that is a tougher sale, especially if money is not the issue.

I would have googled the articles showing the ML system in the LS is regarded as the finest out right now and printed it and gave to them.

I'll be honest. I am happy with Lexus, been an owner for 10 years and if I had to buy a new car in that class, the LS is the favorite and its going to take some serious convincing for me to move to the Benz.

Old 02-15-07, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hehee, everyone has different ears, sometimes they just don't listen
Old 02-15-07, 10:06 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that in another thread the most popular car traded in for the S550 is a previous gen S-Class
the s550 are 100x better than the old pos s500.

few weeks ago i sat in the new ls460 and play with it for about half an hour... even it was a brand new design it kinda feel the same like my wife's 04ls430.. i just don't see that big of diffrent and paying the extra dollar for it.. but if you had pervious gen S class and go try out the new s550 you will see the new model is light year ahead of the old one. The new one just got so many cool feature the old one don't have... it is comfortable, smooth and powerful unlike the old s class which is piece of crap...
Old 02-15-07, 10:21 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

D-man63, my guess is it wouldn't make any difference to your former client as they had a comfort zone they did not want to deviate from, but on the 460 ML sound system you may want to check the settings to make sure the surround sound was in the "off" position. This should only be on when playing a dvd-a/v with the 5.1 sound in it. A CD will sound better in the 460 with just the stereo setting. It does make a difference so best to have the ML at its best on those test drives.

Did you play a dvd video for them with great sound effects? That usually just blows people away as the sound is just amazing. That's where the settings should for sure be for the surround sound.
Old 02-15-07, 10:28 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Interesting that in another thread the most popular car traded in for the S550 is a previous gen S-Class.

This tells me that people end up becoming accustomed to the "feel" of a given car. I know this happened to me when I went from BMW to Lexus. The "feel" of the Lexus, almost like the steering is not on totally tight, made the car feel like the quality was not there. Hard to explain. Rumor has it the opposite occurs when a long time Lexus owner migrates to BMW and hates the fact that the steering seems to pick everything up and the controls seem so "touchy" - those are my wife's words btw.

With regards to the stereo, while I've heard neither, I do know that the Logic 7 system in my BMW is as good if not better than my old ML in my GS430. The GS430 had better imaging, but that was it - at least to my ears. Might be a good idea for you to swing down to the local MB store and hear their stereo to see if it really does compare or not.
right on man, I'm so used to driving like I'm on a cloud, when I drive my friends bmw X5, I can't get used to it. The car is so complicated, the steering is so sensitive and the ride is too stiff...I <3 Lexus...
though the only Benz, I'd buy is the new CL..that thing is so hot I don't care if it has a few problems.

D-man, I hear you dude, I've tried to get many Mercedes owners (including friends & my own mother) to get in a Lexus, but they aren't even willing to take a trip to the Lexus dealer for a test drive, it has to be Mercedes.

Last edited by G Star; 02-15-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 10:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think both the LS 460 L or S550 are great cars...

As for sound systems, let's just say...ML owns:

Top 10 Sound Systems Over $30,000:

1. Lexus LS 430
This sound system, which was introduced in 2001, could be the best on the market. In fact, if we could give it an 11, a la Spinal Tap, we would — it's that good. It comes with 11 speakers, 240 watts of clean RMS power and sound quality second to none. Audiophiles will note that Mark Levinson uses the true RMS rating, which legitimizes this system's quality, as opposed to the peak power rating that other makers use. Not exactly a household name, Mark Levinson is a high-end home stereo manufacturer owned by Harman International (the same company that brings you Harman Kardon, JBL and Infinity). Several years ago, the company dispatched its engineers to Japan to work with the Lexus folks on a truly integrated sound system. The results are simply stunning.
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html

And now with the LS 460 L the trend continues:

Conclusion: The Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound system is the industry standard for in-car audio. It has just the right combination of features, dynamic sound quality, clarity and ease of use to make it the front-runner in an emerging sea of next-generation premium car audio systems.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=103459
Old 02-15-07, 11:33 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the feeling of the Mercedes a lot better when you close/open the door. I dont know why but its like a fetish to me. I love how a lot of german cars have that heavy feel to it with the just right amount of pull you need to put.

...but thats about it as what i like about the S class better. and im probably the only one but i dont consider the S class, 7 series, A8s, etc and LS as competiors. theyre so unique in its own way that comparing them is just not right. some excel at some points, and some do better at other points IMO.
Old 02-15-07, 11:57 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
i like the feeling of the Mercedes a lot better when you close/open the door. I dont know why but its like a fetish to me. I love how a lot of german cars have that heavy feel to it with the just right amount of pull you need to put.

...but thats about it as what i like about the S class better. and im probably the only one but i dont consider the S class, 7 series, A8s, etc and LS as competiors. theyre so unique in its own way that comparing them is just not right. some excel at some points, and some do better at other points IMO.
Almost all German doors, for the exception of older VWs have a very heavy, but tactically pleasing door feel. The Japanese want their doors to close quietly, while the Americans, well we won't go there
Old 02-16-07, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Almost all German doors, for the exception of older VWs have a very heavy, but tactically pleasing door feel. The Japanese want their doors to close quietly, while the Americans, well we won't go there
lol, what, you can't even close it?
Old 02-16-07, 12:27 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

... this is why there are hundreds of car companies out there. Pick one.

My family have been a Mercedes fan since 1990 and even though we have some Lexus cars in our garage, we still have a Merc. There will always be at least 1 Merc in the garage no matter what.
Old 02-16-07, 12:43 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D-MAN63

Hey some people are very loyal to Mercedes and has it ENGRAINED in their heads that a Japanese maker cannot be in the same level as Germans. I am not bashing Mercedes NOR their opinions, but lets face it, we are right up there EASILY.
then again some people think that germans can't compete with the japanese...

it's a matter of personal preference.

no matter what anyone says, i say germans have driving feel down to an art. I personally think that is something that lexus needs to work harder at.

On the other hand, i do love my lexus. It does what it is supposed to and it's quiet and reliable (not that i have had any problems with my CLS).

Quick Reply: Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)