Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tundra > Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 11:27 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tundra > Silverado

I'm sorry all but I just have to share this! Its engine oriented so hopefully it can stay in this forum if not.. Well I'm sure the MODs will move it!

I have nothing against GM but am tired of the superiorty complex that comes with being a GM fan. Haha I get picked on constantly because my little IS350 doesn't have the torque of a friends SS Camaro. I guess he didn't notice that my car is not a DRAG car!

The biggest qualm I hear is that Japanese automakers don't have a V-8 that can compete with domestics.. WELL we do!

Its smaller and more efficient. The only thing the Tundra lacks is with an upgraded hitch package it still won't tow as much. Anyway, when I posted this information the GM Fan boys/ Girls had nothing to say. Muahaha!

"Eco: Those little imports don't know what V-8 Power is. BTW does a Japanese car know what Torque is?!"

"IS_MINE: Perhaps you should look at the new 5.7 V-8 the Tundra has.

5.7-liter DOHC EFI V8, 32-valve aluminum block with aluminum alloy head with Dual VVT-i
381 hp @ 5600 rpm
401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm
Bore and stroke: 3.70 x 4.02
Compression ratio: 10.2:1
Displacement: 5663 cc
Ignition system: DIS (Direct)
Emissions: ULEV II
Recommended fuel: 87 octane or higher

Thats not a diesel.

Wait! Here's Chevy's big boy .. in the Silverado 1500,2500HD! Mind you these trucks are in the same class.
Vortec MAX 6.0L V8 Engine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vortec MAX 6.0L V8 engine features:

From the family of redesigned Gen IV Vortec V8 engines
Thundering 367 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
375 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4300 rpm
More horsepower than any light-duty engine offered by Ford, Dodge and Nissan(1)
EPA estimated 15 city/19 highway MPG in 2WD and 4x4 models
Deep inside the combustion chamber of Vortec engines, high-speed air movement generates a better fuel-to-air mixture
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) technology that optimizes combustion, enhances low-end torque and high-end power, promotes fuel efficiency, and helps lower emissions
A cast-iron crankshaft with undercut and rolled fillets
High-flow cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
Electronic Throttle Control provides outstanding throttle response, greater reliability and improved efficiency
A faster, smarter Engine Control Module with more memory that better synchronizes the multitude of engine operations that occur every split second
Hydraulic engine mounts for improved vibration isolation
A coil-near-plug ignition system for a precise delivery of high-energy spark

Notice how they didn't say anything about Toyota? "

Just goes to show you bigger is not better. Ah. I feel better. LOL. Atleast I'll get credit here! I just got hisses and silence from my buddies. Haha. :P
Old 02-14-07, 01:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you forgot to mention the new Tundra completely crushes the new Silverado in MPG as well!!!!! even tho the Silverado has the 20 year old "displacement on demand" bull**** system!
Old 02-14-07, 01:56 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque means absolutely nothing. Tell the ignorant children to take a Physics class and find out that torque by itself is absolutely nothing...

Torque applied over a period of time is what's important... the actual application of it is what's important. You want more torque over a shorter time period. Guess what Torque over time is? Horsepower boys and girls... its what matters. If you've got the gearing to utilize the powerband then more horsepower ALWAYS wins... period. There's been real world tests and computer simulation and simulation by equation that PROVE it.

The IS350 with an automatic runs the same times as a SS Camaro 6-speed did. ~mid-low 100mph traps and mid 13s 1/4 mile... late model SS Camaros had a lot of Z06 goodies and made more power.... so that throws it off just a little bit. But the IS makes similar power numbers to the 98-99 models...

If they want a fair comparison, wait until the IS-F motor has its specs finalized. 5.0L V8 suppsed to make over 425hp.
Old 02-14-07, 02:54 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Actually, you want torque, the more torque given the same angular speed, the more horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque.
Simplified to basic its power=torque * ang. speed.
Since we use rpm, its really power= 2(pi)rpm * torque.
Or power(Kwatts)=(torque*pi*rpm) / 30000

2001+ SS & Z28's werent that "Z06-ified". The Z06 has different heads, cam, port windows, that's all I can remember off the top of my head, pre '01's didnt even get the intake. Gotta keep the ybody LS1> fbody LS1.
I wish we'd flat out go to metric, then you can easily see the relation between the units. 5.0L V8 making 425hp... not something out of the ordinary, go see what the 'stang 5.0's from yesteryear are doing.

I don't see Toyota flaunting their 5.7(that's a pretty undersquare engine) mileage numbers, soo... those comparisons will have to wait till numbers from real world come in.

As for Chevy's production big boy, that's the 6.6's for diesel, and 8.1L for gas (ridiculously efficient actually, but this won't be in auto's anymore )

But, more competition, the better! I'm stilllll waiting to see a new Tundra on 35's, I think that'd look siiiiiick. Especially all blacked out.

Last edited by okcfunky; 02-14-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 02:56 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

@Bean...

torque and horsepower are not mutually exclusive. One cannot state that one is implicitly more important than the other because one is a function of the other.
Old 02-14-07, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by okcfunky
Actually, you want torque, the more torque given the same angular speed, the more horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque.
Simplified to basic its power=torque * ang. speed.
Since we use rpm, its really power= 2(pi)rpm * torque.
Or power(Kwatts)=(torque*pi*rpm) / 30000

2001+ SS & Z28's werent that "Z06-ified". The Z06 has different heads, cam, port windows, that's all I can remember off the top of my head, pre '01's didnt even get the intake. Gotta keep the ybody LS1> fbody LS1.
I wish we'd flat out go to metric, then you can easily see the relation between the units. 5.0L V8 making 425hp... not something out of the ordinary, go see what the 'stang 5.0's from yesteryear are doing.

I don't see Toyota flaunting their 5.7(that's a pretty undersquare engine) mileage numbers, soo... those comparisons will have to wait till numbers from real world come in.

As for Chevy's production big boy, that's the 6.6's for diesel, and 8.1L for gas (ridiculously efficient actually, but this won't be in auto's anymore )

But, more competition, the better! I'm stilllll waiting to see a new Tundra on 35's, I think that'd look siiiiiick. Especially all blacked out.
I think he was reffering to the fact that in Edmunds comparo, Tundra managed to have 25% better mpg than Silverado, despite being heavier, a lot more powerful, faster and behind on paper mpg...
Old 02-14-07, 04:47 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Ahhhhhhhh. Didn't know the source he pulled from.
Old 02-14-07, 07:53 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i'm slowly seeing some of these tundras on the road an dit makes me drool
Old 02-14-07, 08:41 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
you forgot to mention the new Tundra completely crushes the new Silverado in MPG as well!!!!! even tho the Silverado has the 20 year old "displacement on demand" bull**** system!
My Dad's '81 Eldo had the notorious V8-6-4 engine in it. That GM engine was soooo good that it lasted only that model year. 26 years later they give it a new name.

I hear that Delco is bringing out HD 8-track for 2008.
Old 02-14-07, 09:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
4x2...
Tundra 16/20
Silverado 16/22

Not sure how that is "crushing" but hey, call it what you want.

Anyway, I've checked out both and driven neither...and to be honest, I'm glad I don't have to decide cause they both are incredible trucks. Most mags (which people seem to hate here cause they don't praise Toyota) rate the GM product a bit better.
Old 02-14-07, 09:19 PM
LexFather

I actually think the trucks from all the carmakers are much more evenly matched than the cars.

Old 02-15-07, 05:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Torque means absolutely nothing.
Torque applied over a period of time is what's important... the actual application of it is what's important. You want more torque over a shorter time period. Guess what Torque over time is? Horsepower boys and girls... its what matters. If you've got the gearing to utilize the powerband then more horsepower ALWAYS wins... period. .
Not quite. When it comes to acceleration (as opposed to potential top speed), torque IS the issue, no matter how much a period a time it is measured over.
First of all, you have to understand that horsepower is produced in the cylinders when the air-fuel mixture is burned ( generally most efficient at the ideal 14:1 air-fuel ratio), will not give you power to the drivetrain....that power has to be converted to a twisting motion (torque) through the crankshaft, connecting rods, and the mass of the heavy flywheel. The torque figure is what actually gives you your acceleration and pulling power for loads.....the HP figure, almost always peaking at a higher engine RPM than torque, is more a measure of the car's potential top speed in overcoming air resistance than in acceleration.
Old 02-15-07, 06:23 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Horsepower = torque * rpm / 5252

That rule applies without exception to ANY accurate dynograph, meaning I can calculate either number, horsepower OR torque with just seeing the other one on a dynograph.

The most important thing to note is that horsepower behind the peak is very important. In fact that's what torque curves are designed to emphasize - is the flatness of power delivery. You're probably never going to see a car with a flat horsepower curve - if you did it would make revving the engine up almost completely pointless, especially if you were to pair it with a CVT transmission. But if you see a car with a flat torque curve (for example the BMW 335i, VW/Audi 2.0T, and many of the big displacement domestic motors) you'll know that its power delivery is as linear as can be, which means a lot more in terms of daily driving pleasure and also can make a significant impact on its WOT acceleration numbers.