Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Mazda2 Revealed(Updated with mpg, page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 11:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The Toyota Auris is very sharp - why the heck didn't they bring that to the U.S. instead of the hideous Yaris!?
The '07 Corollas have been redesigned everywhere else except in North America due to quality issues.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-20-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 12:00 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not feeling it.
Old 03-05-07, 05:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Just days ahead of its European debut in Geneva, the Mazda2 (aka Mazda Demio in Japan) photos have surfaced on the Spanish site km77.com. According to km77.com, the all-new Mazda2 will share platforms with the next generation Ford Fiesta. Three petrol engines will be available at launch which include a 55 kW/75 HP and 62 kW/84 HP 1.3 liter and a 76kW/103 HP 1.5 liter. As seen in the photos (gray colored car), a sports appearance package will be available at launch which is expected to arrive in Europe Summer 2007 and eventually North America in 2008.
worldcarfans
Old 03-05-07, 06:03 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least the Mazda looks somewhat interesting. It has some muscular lines and creative fender bulges. Unlike the Yaris, Fit, etc, etc. If I was in the market for a micro car, this would definitely be on my test drive list.

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Old 03-05-07, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You guys keep comparing it to the Yaris and Auris.

I have driven a Yaris....did a review of one last year. It is strictly a no-frills, entry-level, base transportation commuter car and little else, though, of course, with Toyota quality. If this Mazda2 has a chassis and steering system like most of the rest of Mazda's vehicle line, it will handle circles around the Yaris.....and have a fairly stiff ride.

BTW, that lime-green color is stunning .....I hope it gets into production.
Old 03-12-07, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Mazda 2 announced - watch out Yaris and Fit

The Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit may have something to worry about. Mazda has just announced the new Mazda 2 or the Mazda Demio that will debut at the Geneva Auto Show. The Mazda 2 will come in three gasoline engines including a two 1.3 liter producing 75 HP and 84 horsepower and a 1.5-liter with an producing 103 horsepower.

The car will also come with a ‘Sports Appearance Package’ that will give it a sporty look with a front bumper, wide intakes, side skirts, roof spolier, alloy wheels and a sportier grill. So far we like the little bugger. Stay tuned for the official press release.
via egmcartech
Old 03-12-07, 07:33 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That "mickey mouse" interior really does not do it for me. The Yaris also has a TS version in Europe, which is a sporty version not available in North America.

I would rather get a Fit than a Mazda 2 if I was looking for fun driving.
Old 03-12-07, 07:48 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

nice... it looks like its ready for a 2.4L turbo engine swap from a mazda speed 3 or 6.
Old 03-12-07, 08:10 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

finally. mazda has been holding back this entire time. i remember the mazda 121 vehicles that I saw in Hong Kong years ago and I knew mazda should have entered the small car craze.
Old 03-12-07, 08:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That "mickey mouse" interior really does not do it for me...
HA HA !!!

That's the first thing I thought when I saw that console.

For me, the zebra fabric is a big no no.
Old 03-13-07, 01:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That "mickey mouse" interior really does not do it for me.
Those center vents do look like Mickey Ears.

The Yaris also has a TS version in Europe, which is a sporty version not available in North America.
Just checked UK site, they have something called 'T Spirit' is that what you mean? Apparently its extras are 15" wheels and fog lamps.

I would rather get a Fit than a Mazda 2 if I was looking for fun driving.
But the Fit looks awful.

And if the Mazda2 interior is Mickey, then this UK Yaris interior is Dumbo.
Attached Thumbnails New Mazda2 Revealed(Updated with mpg, page 2)-yaris1.jpg  
Old 03-13-07, 01:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm at lost for words..that UK yaris interior is hideous

and I thought the rav4's interior was bad...
Old 03-14-07, 11:05 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Those center vents do look like Mickey Ears.

Just checked UK site, they have something called 'T Spirit' is that what you mean? Apparently its extras are 15" wheels and fog lamps.

But the Fit looks awful.

And if the Mazda2 interior is Mickey, then this UK Yaris interior is Dumbo.
The Fit looks awful? That's a matter of opinion. And it's interior easily bests the Mazda 2 and the Yaris (although it does cost a bit more than both)

It's interior is much more pleasing than the Mazda 2. The Mazda 2's centre console is very plain. At least the Yaris console has a bit of style with the silver accent.

And no, the Yaris TS is not the "T Spirit" model. Sales start in Q1 2007, but I'm not sure if it's yet on sale in Europe.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...is-ts-in-depth

Here's a link about the Yaris TS. It actually stands for "T-Sport". A quick summary is a sports aero package on the car, and a 1.8L Dual VVT-i 2ZR-FE engine with 132HP. 17" alloy wheels, interior upgrades, suspension and steering modifications, as well as body rigidity enhancements.

It's a true "sports" version of the Yaris.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-14-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 07:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow 70mpg

* Next Mazda2/Demio first product under SKYACTIV series
* New Mazda2/Demio to go on sale in Japan in H1 2011
* CEO: not thinking of alliances other than with Ford
* Mazda shares gain 1.4 pct, vs Nikkei's 1.7 pct drop
By Chang-Ran Kim, Asia autos correspondent

TOKYO, Oct 20 - Mazda Motor Corp <7261.T> said on Wednesday its next Mazda2/Demio subcompact would get fuel economy of 30 km/litre without the help of an electric motor, likely making it the most fuel-efficient gasoline car on the road.

The vehicle will be launched in Japan in the 1st half of 2011 as the 1st product to be equipped with Mazda's next-generation gasoline and diesel engine and transmission technology, dubbed SKYACTIV.

Mazda is aiming to improve fuel economy on its cars by 30% by 2015 compared with 2008 levels by introducing the SKYACTIV technology on all of its cars by around 2016. It plans to build on its current technologies to eventually develop hybrids, plug-in hybrids and pure electric cars beyond 2015.

Japanese minivehicle maker Daihatsu Motor Co <7262.T> has also said it aims to develop a gasoline car that achieves fuel economy of 30 km/litre -- equivalent to what the "mild" hybrid version of Honda Motor Co's <7267.T> new Fit subcompact gets.

"I promise that we will offer the Demio at a lower price than a hybrid of the same segment,"
Chief Executive Officer Takashi Yamanouchi told a news conference, declining to elaborate.

Honda's Fit hybrid, which went on sale this month in Japan, starts at 1.59 million yen .

While Mazda has no hybrid system of its own, it is seen as among the most advanced automakers in internal combustion engine and weight reduction technology.

Mazda said its new direct injection gasoline engine achieves big mileage improvements mainly due to the world's highest engine compression ratio.

NO ALLIANCE OTHER THAN FORD

Regarding news that Ford Motor Co <F.N> is planning to sell most of its 11% stake in Mazda, worth just over $500 million, Yamanouchi repeated Mazda's official statement that their strategic relationship remained intact.

A source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters at the weekend that top shareholder Ford may sell the stake in Mazda by the end of the year. Ford and Mazda have not confirmed the plan. [ID:nTOE69H02T]

"We have an agreement to continue our strategic partnership with Ford. Therefore, we are not thinking at all of forming an alliance with companies other than Ford," Yamanouchi said.

"In any case, under any circumstances we believe it is important to maintain the Mazda brand."

Despite their wide-ranging cooperation, Mazda and Ford have gone their separate ways in developing cleaner vehicles. Mazda in March turned to Toyota Motor Corp <7203.T> for help in developing its 1st hybrid car.

Mazda shares rose 1.4% on Wednesday, outperforming a drop in other Japanese auto stocks and the benchmark Nikkei average's <.N225> 1.7% fall.

Old 10-20-10, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This car is just now being introduced in Europe? Here, in the U.S., it's been on sale for awhile now. In fact, I've alrerady reviewed the American-market version.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...11-mazda2.html

Quick Reply: New Mazda2 Revealed(Updated with mpg, page 2)