Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This one made me laugh so hard. BMW X5 story

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 04:26 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This one made me laugh so hard. BMW X5 story

OK,

So me and my friend went down to our local BMW dealership to check out the X5's.

He currently owns an X3 and needs something a little larger.

So we checked out both the 6 and 8 cylinder versions.

The 6 cylinder felt like a black and decker aquarium pump was under the hood. I say to the sales guy, what's up with that. He says the 6 cyl has ample power for most folks.

The rest of the conversation went like this.

ME: I said you got to be kidding. WTF?

ME: Then I said, you do know the 530i weighs 3700 lbs.

DEALER: Yes sir

ME: The same 260HP 6 cylinder engine that the 530 has is also in the X5.

ME: The 530i weighs 3700lbs, and the X5 with a 6 cylinder engine AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE, weighs 5,000lbs.

ME: So you are telling me even though the weight of both cars is 1300lbs apart, and the heavier one (X5)has all wheel drive, that when the same engine is put in both there is no issue?

DEALER: No sir, the computer will adjust according to driving style.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 02-12-07 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 04:50 PM
LexFather

I need that computer!!! lol....

Old 02-12-07, 04:51 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give the guy a break.

What do you expect him to say when you back him into a corner on purpose? A LOT of vehicles have the same power train, but weigh differently. ES, RX, Camry, Sienna for starters.
Old 02-12-07, 04:55 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Give the guy a break.

What do you expect him to say when you back him into a corner on purpose? A LOT of vehicles have the same power train, but weigh differently. ES, RX, Camry, Sienna for starters.
Last I checked they were not $60k.

The issue here is the 530 is underpowered. Although it can be tolerable, it is barely tolerable. Now add 1/2 ton of weight and 4 wheel drive, well you get the point.
Old 02-12-07, 05:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Give the guy a break.

Sorry but his job is to SELL the car. He should have 2-3 responses. He could have even bulled...
1. Better fuel economy
2. BMW research showed this was adequate for the entry level car
3. Step your *** up and buy the V-8

I'm in sales and I HATE when there is a missed opportunity. Of course it is entirely possible there was not adequate training or he simply didn't read up.

Old 02-12-07, 05:05 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Somehow, I find this story hard to believe. The 260 hp inline 6 is more than enough power to haul the X5. The BMW inline 6 feels more sprightly than the v6 in the RX believe it or not, and hauls a$$ once at the 2k mark on the odo. Did your buddy put the x5 in sport mode? When the steptronic transmission is not in sport mode, the vehicles starts off in 2nd gear through 6 gear, thus the lethargic feeling. This was designed to save fuel. In sport, it shifts from 1st gear through 6gear, and moves much more quicker.
Old 02-12-07, 05:05 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry but his job is to SELL the car. He should have 2-3 responses. He could have even bulled...
1. Better fuel economy
2. BMW research showed this was adequate for the entry level car
3. Step your *** up and buy the V-8
I'm in sales and I HATE when there is a missed opportunity. Of course it is entirely possible there was not adequate training or he simply didn't read up.
ROFL

There was no lost sale. My friend told him the 6 cylinder sucked and BMW should put the 335 turbo in it.

Then he proceeded to ask about ordering a V8.
Old 02-12-07, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
ROFL

There was no lost sale. My friend told him the 6 cylinder sucked and BMW should put the 335 turbo in it.

Then he proceeded to ask about ordering a V8.
lol...and in my talking with BMW salesman, they don't study or don't really care b/c they KNOW the cars/SUVs sell themselves. They know no matter the color or package, someone is going to eventually walk in and buy it.

Lexus salesman also have that luxury. The product sells themselves. You just fill out paperwork basically.

And sorry Shocker but even though BMW ponies are strong, that old engine in a 5000lbs SUV is laughable.

Let me add I saw a 4.8 at the car show I went to this weekend. droooooooooool
I saw a new one on the road. I think it looks great.

Old 02-12-07, 05:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

BMW conservatively estimates 0-60 at 7.8 seconds. Not too shabby for a 5,000 lb vehicle. Of course if the occupants were a bit heavy....
Old 02-12-07, 05:20 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Last I checked they were not $60k.

The issue here is the 530 is underpowered. Although it can be tolerable, it is barely tolerable. Now add 1/2 ton of weight and 4 wheel drive, well you get the point.
Well the 530 is underpowered for u.....yet for many its more then enough. Obviously u've never driven underpowered , overpriced vehicle ever in ur life. Try 91-96 Toyota Previa......Has 138hp 2.4L 4cyl motor in a minivan.
Old 02-12-07, 05:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

There are a lot of B.S. artists that are car salespersons. I went to the BMW dealer down here and one of the reps told me that he never expected me to ask questions about power and 1/4 mile etc (I did not think the guy was trying to con me, he just expected people to walk in their and fall in love with a vehicle). Thank god I don't buy new vehicles anymore.

One of my neighbors in my apartment building has now a 4.4 (had a 3.0 last week but it bit the dust with the engine) to go along with his 4.8. Have driven the 4.8 and it has some serious torque, but we won't let me bring or even come with me to the track to test it out.
Old 02-12-07, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
Well the 530 is underpowered for u.....yet for many its more then enough. Obviously u've never driven underpowered , overpriced vehicle ever in ur life. Try 91-96 Toyota Previa......Has 138hp 2.4L 4cyl motor in a minivan.
Better yet 2005 BMW 730Li with a 230hp I-6 good for 0-60 in 8.3 seconds. It just got bumped in 2007 to a whooping 258hp

My suggestion. Don't go there.

Old 02-12-07, 06:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Meh, I scooled a 4.4 X5 yesterday - I was doing 30-35 and this X5 is trying to pass me, next thing I see his headlights in the opposite lane, and I hate idiots that pass people in the opposite lane, so when he was next to my car I punched it and made him get stuck, and then left him behind. And when I pulled up to a redlight, the idiot passed me in the opposite lane again and made a turn on red (not allowed in NYC).

This is why I hate most BMW folks, they think their 325 is Gods gift to the world, yet a Camry will rip it a new one.
Old 02-12-07, 07:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the 3.0L X5 can do a quarter mile in low 16's. That's far more than enough for the average consumer out there. Hell, that's about the same as a Honda accord 4cyl and a Toyota Camry 4cyl, and a Lexus GX470. Those guys aren't complaining about the speed for every day driving, so the X5 guys shouldn't either. It's underpowered to the enthusiasts, but perfect for the consumer. At least it's faster than an LX470. Now that thing is sloooww. Heh.
Old 02-12-07, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Lord please let us not turn this into a Lexus vs Toyota thread. Please.

Quick Reply: This one made me laugh so hard. BMW X5 story