Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NEW Ford Mondeo @ 2007 Geneva Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 11:34 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmaynard
I wish I didn't have cause to have that opinion...but out of two Ford products I've bought new, both have had hideously expensive repairs needed well before they should have. The last straw was a 1992 Explorer Sport with a manual transmission that failed at 65000 miles. I had it rebuilt at a Ford dealer. 4000 miles later, it failed again. That fiasco cost me $3400, and Ford wouldn't do a thing for me - including honoring the repair warranty from the first rebuild.

The next vehicle I bought was a Toyota, and I've never bought anything else since. Neither I nor anyone else where I have any say in the matter will ever purchase anything from the Ford Motor Company again.

And my 2001 Lexus ES300 is falling apart left and right, and might even need a new transmission. I don't think Lexus or Toyota sucks after this experience. Ask anyone with an 02-03 Acura TL. My uncle has an '03 type S and he's on #3. Does this mean Honda sucks now?

You're right, Ford has a reputation for lower durability, but that's Ford of North America. Ford of Europe is WAY different.

Ford REALLY needs to do what GM is starting to do with the Saturns... Start bringing over their European models. Ford has really become a fleet vehicle brand here in the US...
Old 02-11-07, 11:46 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
And my 2001 Lexus ES300 is falling apart left and right, and might even need a new transmission. I don't think Lexus or Toyota sucks after this experience.
How's Toyota treating you? Are they refusing to honor their repair warranty?

I've seen the ES330/350 transmission problems. At least Toyota is stepping up to the plate.

This is my third Toyota product. Between the three of them, and over 220K miles or so, I've made exactly one unscheduled trip to the mechanic, and that one cost me $60. I can't ask anything more than that.
Old 02-11-07, 12:02 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmaynard
How's Toyota treating you? Are they refusing to honor their repair warranty?

I've seen the ES330/350 transmission problems. At least Toyota is stepping up to the plate.

This is my third Toyota product. Between the three of them, and over 220K miles or so, I've made exactly one unscheduled trip to the mechanic, and that one cost me $60. I can't ask anything more than that.
No problems, but I can't really say since we have a very long family-wide history at the same dealership.

This one's isolated... sometimes it just doesn't feel like shifting into overdrive, or it hesitates (this is when warm, so it's not a cold start or warm-up issue).
Old 02-11-07, 01:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I see hints of Jaguar XK & Aston Martin if the front end styling of this car.

Very European. Bring it to the states Ford, and bring back the Contour SVT.
Old 02-11-07, 03:27 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever since I've seen heated/cooled seats on one Mondeo about 5 years ago, I've had nothing but respect for that car.
Also factory option of headrest screens is something that no other car in its class had back then (maybe even today).