Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's the charge for not putting your license plate on??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 12:31 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the charge for not putting your license plate on??

so my car is relatively new, but my license plates came in like 3 weeks ago. what is the charge for not having my license plates attached to the car, but having the registration with me? i have a vanity plate on now, and i like the way it looks. i might be willing to bite the bullet if it's just a cheap fix it ticket. i am in CA

Last edited by IS_NIICE; 02-09-07 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 01:37 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, pretty much just a fix it ticket. should be 20 bucks tops.
Old 02-09-07, 03:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't have a choice. In CA, a front plate is mandatory, so put it on....you'll save yourself a lot of hassles.
Old 02-09-07, 05:21 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cops have this funny knack to pull you over for no front plate whenever it's least convenient, ie, when you're in a hurry, late for work, etc.

But, as mentioned, it's just a cheap fix it ticket, or a "please get that fixed and have a good day".
Old 02-09-07, 06:37 AM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Chicago, I was ticketed twice for no front license plate within the time span of 2 weeks, both were when the car was parked on the streets though, and they were around $80 each.
Old 02-09-07, 06:46 AM
Koma

I know alot of people put plates in front of their dash console so it's visible in the windshield. Do they allow that? Because I sure as hell would be POed if I had to drill holes into a body kit or something. No license plates on the front are clean looking.

I'm pretty sure in MA, if you have older plates (green letters instead of red) that you can get away with not having to have a front plate. If that's the case, I'm keeping the green plate forever.
Old 02-09-07, 07:02 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

The last time I check the edges of the licence plate are pretty sharp. I wonder what will happen or where the licence plate from the dashboard will fly to if there's a hard stop or if the airbag pops out after a crash.

If there's a law stating licence plate is mandatory, just follow it. If you don't like it, move to another state which the front licence plate is not mandatory.

Not putting the front licence plate when it's mandatory is unlawful. Putting a EU or Japanese licence plate when you are driving in the US is pure moronic.
Old 02-09-07, 07:45 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

right now i just have a platinum motorsport license plate on the back of my car. i have neither the front, nor the back attached. here is how it looks as of now...

so both no front. or back. wha'ts the charge?
Old 02-09-07, 08:00 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
The last time I check the edges of the licence plate are pretty sharp. I wonder what will happen or where the licence plate from the dashboard will fly to if there's a hard stop or if the airbag pops out after a crash.

If there's a law stating licence plate is mandatory, just follow it. If you don't like it, move to another state which the front licence plate is not mandatory.

Not putting the front licence plate when it's mandatory is unlawful. Putting a EU or Japanese licence plate when you are driving in the US is pure moronic.
I never said I put my plate in the windshield. I have a green MA plate, these originally didn't come with a front plate, it was just one. Now when you register a car you have to get a red plate and it comes with two plates. I don't know if they can force me to get a red plate though.
And no, no one is going to move on grounds of not wanting a front license plate.
Yea it's unlawful but the original poster was wondering how much it'll set him/her back if he/she gets caught for it. Let him do what he wants, don't flame him/her for it.
Old 02-09-07, 08:27 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

DON'T ever go to LAX airport, man they are so strict with this issue, even if u have ur reg. attached on ur windsheild they will still check it - they'll know if u have received ur plates or not!!! i don't have my plates in front but whenever i go to places that i know i'm asking for it i just put a tape and attach it to my europlates! one time i came from some show and i went straight to LAX, a cop ran in front of me (japanese) and told me that i don't have my plates and it's a mandatory thing to have it here in CA!!! i said "i'm sorry officer i forgot about it i was in a hurry to pick-up someone" and he said "just put that thing on in the future to avoid hassles and such ...nice car btw aristo right???" and i smiled and said thank u and left!!! hehehe

this is a diff. day i was waiting for someone and i was steady on the curb a motorcycle cop pull beside me and told me to take-off well before i did i asked the officer about that plate being inside the windsheild, he had told me that they will "STILL" issue a citation, he told me exactly "plates should be placed in front of ur car not anywhere else that's why they have holes on in front of it" ...i didn't bother asking "well officer what if i don't have holes in my bumper?(like some new cars)" ...i might be asking for it! i just said "thank u and have a g'day" n took of vrooooooooooom!!!
Old 02-09-07, 08:28 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

You are going to get pulled over and they are going to ask you a bunch of questions. And they will let you go with a fix it ticket.
Old 02-09-07, 08:53 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ron_is350
so my car is relatively new, but my license plates came in like 3 weeks ago. what is the charge for not having my license plates attached to the car, but having the registration with me? i have a vanity plate on now, and i like the way it looks. i might be willing to bite the bullet if it's just a cheap fix it ticket. i am in CA
In Cali it is a fix it ticket ---- $10. The reason that I know is that my wife was pulled over in her E55 for no front plate. What really ticks me off is that I have been driving here for 6 years without front plates on my other cars and have never been stopped. To solve this I attached the plate to the lower grill with cable ties and the police were OK with it. Now Wifey has no front plate on the car but it is in the trunk with a bag of cable ties for a quick attachmnet.
Old 02-09-07, 02:37 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

I believe there's actually a loophole... YES, the front plate (only) missing can be a violation...
BUT, if you put neither plate on and have the dealer registration in the windshield, there is NO violation. The reason I know this is because I bought my IS350 on 9/30/06 and still have not received my plates. I kept calling Longo Lexus and the DMV woman there said the temporary registration never expires. It turns out the USPS will return the plates to Sacramento if they do not fit in your mailbox (without even leaving a note). So, I have asked the DMV to re-ship them, now to my work address, but still no plates. I've effectively had no plates now for 4+ months... oh well, maybe I'll never get them!
Old 02-09-07, 02:54 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

put the plates on, why invite them to stop you and look for things....
Old 02-09-07, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by darksparkz
In Chicago, I was ticketed twice for no front license plate within the time span of 2 weeks,
Why didn't you learn the first time? Was your front plate stolen?

Quick Reply: What's the charge for not putting your license plate on??