Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 3 owner's fooled by fake leather?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 09:11 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Quite simple. If you have a luxury car, why get "fake leather" much like why get "fake wood"???
I'm pretty sure I explained why you get leatherette quite clearly in the post right above yours. You can think whatever you like about egos, some people option to get leatherette because they, *gasp*, don't want leather.
Old 02-08-07, 09:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I think leatherette is OK for the 3 series, it's more of a sports sedan/coupe than a true luxury car anyway, much like the G35 coupe. So if some people prefer faux leather because it's durable & easier to maintain, it's a good match for the car.
Old 02-08-07, 10:12 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Amazing how this has turned out to be a semi-big deal.
I think we are missing the point!

You have to pay to get *real* leather. Its an *option* reguardless of its quality.
Old 02-08-07, 10:18 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I wish my Italian boots were made from vinyl.
Old 02-08-07, 10:22 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers will not go out of their way to tell you if it is a vinyl interior. It says it on the window sticker.

It is not deception, just not obvious. Happens all the time. For example do you think lexus and Toyota are telling potential customers that the 06/7 V6 trannies are defective and there is no fix yet? Or do you think they advertise the fact your nav is locked out while driving?

The truth be told vinyl seats will hold up better and longer than any leather or cloth. Mercedes used vinyl for years and look new all the time.

The advantage with vinyl becomes clear with kids. No leather treatment required. Child seats do not damage the vinyl. It will not discolor. etc.

Also, unless you get a BMW 5/6/7 series or a Lexus LS, you have a lot of vinyl matching panels in the lower end models.

Most cars have a mix of vinyl/leather.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 02-08-07 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-08-07, 10:37 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Amazing how this has turned out to be a semi-big deal.
I think we are missing the point!

You have to pay to get *real* leather. Its an *option* reguardless of its quality.
I don't mind paying extra for "optional" vinyl/leatherette. If I can pay the money for something I want, and eliminate some hassles in the future (maintenance on the leather surface, cracked leather, etc), that's REAL luxury.
Old 02-08-07, 10:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
For example do you think lexus and Toyota are telling potential customers that the 06/7 V6 trannies are defective and there is no fix yet? Or do you think they advertise the fact your nav is locked out while driving?.
Please trade in your car. As a matter of fact, please get a Segway and join the Segway forums.
Thanks.

I'm ghost. People paying extra for plastic and defending it. God forbid Lexus had a leatherette IS.....

Old 02-08-07, 10:46 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Please trade in your car. As a matter of fact, please get a Segway and join the Segway forums.
Thanks.

I'm ghost. People paying extra for plastic and defending it. God forbid Lexus had a leatherette IS.....
They are not paying extra for vinyl. They pay extra if they want leather.
Old 02-08-07, 10:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

God forbid Lexus had a leatherette IS.....
IS250 is available with fabric seats in Canada, Japan & some other parts of the world.
Old 02-08-07, 10:54 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
IS250 is available with fabric seats in Canada, Japan & some other parts of the world.
All Japanese cars can have cloth in Europe. BMW offers cloth and vinyl.

Some folks have allergies, etc. and they cannot have leather. Also, here in the U.S. we have an abundance of cows and no where to dump the leather hides.

I would not be surprised if leather is actually cheaper than good fabric.

If you look at the Lexus web site, the IS, ES, and the RX all come with cloth standard. The U.S. marketeers add leather (force you to buy), unless you custom order.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 02-08-07 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-08-07, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I dont really care if I'm sitting on seats made out of X material. At the end of the day, the purpose it serves is far more important to me than bragging rights. I'm not too happy to tell people I have real leather seat when they look into my car and see all the creases and stretches. It's nice that my car comes with real leather, but if it had leatherette as a factory option, I would have opt for that instead. I just like the new look and the way it feels. I dont care too much about what it's made out of, just as long as it works.
Old 02-08-07, 12:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I all honesty, having the "option" for leatherette or leather will please some people.

For example, PETA members don't drive cars that don't offer fabric or leather alternatives. Lexus does not offer fabric with most of their cars/SUVs...
Old 02-08-07, 12:49 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Dealers will not go out of their way to tell you if it is a vinyl interior. It says it on the window sticker.

It is not deception, just not obvious. Happens all the time. For example do you think lexus and Toyota are telling potential customers that the 06/7 V6 trannies are defective and there is no fix yet? Or do you think they advertise the fact your nav is locked out while driving?

The truth be told vinyl seats will hold up better and longer than any leather or cloth. Mercedes used vinyl for years and look new all the time.

The advantage with vinyl becomes clear with kids. No leather treatment required. Child seats do not damage the vinyl. It will not discolor. etc.

Also, unless you get a BMW 5/6/7 series or a Lexus LS, you have a lot of vinyl matching panels in the lower end models.

Most cars have a mix of vinyl/leather.

OMG are you saying my IS has Vinyl in it?!!! NOOOO!!
Old 02-08-07, 12:53 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
OMG are you saying my IS has Vinyl in it?!!! NOOOO!!
Never said that. what you are thinking.
Old 02-08-07, 03:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For example, PETA members don't drive cars that don't offer fabric or leather alternatives. Lexus does not offer fabric with most of their cars/SUVs...
Well that's 5,000 less annoying members we have to deal with on CL. I've never met a PETA die hard I liked. Most are brainwashed to the point of DUH.

Yeah, my opinion. If there's one out there that's not brainwashed into lunacy I'll gladly make a new friend.

Quick Reply: BMW 3 owner's fooled by fake leather?