Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 11:15 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Unhappy All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show

PRAYING that this really isnt it. Though the interior really looks top notch.

Old 02-06-07, 11:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Oh man wtf. I will reserve judgement until I see it in person.
Old 02-06-07, 11:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sigh...yea this is it...

More power, plusher interior, and RAV4-like styling for Toyota’s mid-sizer.
February 2007

While the domestic automakers scramble to put out their first crossover vehicles (unibody, ostensibly car-based SUVs), Toyota is preparing to launch the second generation of its Highlander crossover utility. The new Highlander will face far more competition than did its predecessor when it first went on sale in 2001. When the 2008 Highlander goes on sale in July, its rivals will include the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia, the Ford Edge, the Mazda CX-9, the Suzuki XL7, the Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz, as well as the long-in-tooth, but Car and Driver favorite, Honda Pilot.

Loosely based on the current Camry platform, the Highlander is four inches longer, three inches wider, and rides on a three inch longer wheelbase than the previous generation. As one would expect, there is commensurate increase in interior space. Second row occupants will find more legroom and adjustable captain’s chairs that recline and offer 4.7 inches of fore/aft travel. For those who want a second-row bench, the Highlander hides a center seat in a compartment between the front seats that provides room for three. Toyota doesn’t specifically mention an increase in third-row space, but we expect a more spacious third row; the previous Highlander had a small third row that was really only good for kids under 10. Front-row occupants are greeted by a particularly Lexus-like dashboard. Interior materials look first rate and more upmarket than before.

The sole powertrain in the ‘08 Highlander is a 270-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 mated to a five-speed automatic (the 155-horsepower four-cylinder model is dead). While the 3.5-liter has 55 more horses than the previous Highlander’s optional 3.3-liter V-6, the dimensional increases add a claimed 500 pounds to the new Highlander’s curb weight which we expect to be around 4500 pounds. Despite the increase in power and weight, Toyota promises that fuel economy will be nearly on par with the previous Highlander which was 19 city/25 highway for front-wheel drive models, 18/24 for all-wheel drive.

Three trim levels will be offered (Base, Sport, and Limited) and buyers will also be able to choose between front-drive or all-wheel drive. Sport and Limited models get a standard rear-view camera that does not require purchasing the optional navigation system. Major options include leather seats, heated seats, a touch-screen navigation system, an upgraded stereo, a rear-seat DVD entertainment system, and a towing package that increases towing capacity to 5000 pounds.

Exterior styling is in the current Toyota SUV idiom—that is, it looks like a bloated RAV4. Toyota calls it “intelligence over toughness” which is just the sort of thing that people say right before they get punched. In the interest of safety, the hood and fenders are designed to accommodate pedestrian impacts, and the Highlander comes with seven airbags including a driver’s side knee airbag and curtain airbags for all three rows. Other safety equipment includes stability control, ABS, traction control, and brake assist that adds braking force in an emergency. No pricing information was announced, but we expect the 2008 Highlander to start at about $28,000.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...ontiac-g8.html
Old 02-06-07, 11:53 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is a mistake if they stop the 4 cylinder model
Old 02-06-07, 11:58 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

man that is one ugly looking suv. its just nothing more than a bloated rav4.

disapointment. Oh well...
Old 02-07-07, 12:29 AM
LexFather

Why drop the 4 cylinder? Sigh, another ugly SUV....I prefer bland to ugly....
Interior looks nice!!

Old 02-07-07, 12:30 AM
LexFather

Whats up with the hybrid? Wow a 270hp Highlander, right behind the RX!

Old 02-07-07, 12:35 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

WTF...im such a toyota fan
but this just looks weird

it looks more like a concept
Old 02-07-07, 12:43 AM
LexFather

I HATE exposed cup holders....I just saw that...

Old 02-07-07, 12:44 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Not feeling the bland styling at all.Not that this will matter to the targeted buyers; Toyota will still move a boatload of them.
Let's hope Lexus does a better job with this platform when it's time for the 09 RX.
Old 02-07-07, 12:58 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mamma mia, this hits the two worst vices of car design: being unattractive and being boring. The interior is fine, but who would want to be caught in that kind of car is beyond me.
Old 02-07-07, 04:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
Not feeling the bland styling at all.Not that this will matter to the targeted buyers; Toyota will still move a boatload of them.
Let's hope Lexus does a better job with this platform when it's time for the 09 RX.
bland? You can call it ugly, but it is definetly not bland, lol.

People dont seem to understand what bland means. This pic make it definetly ugly though.

But interior is top notch.
Old 02-07-07, 04:55 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tails remind me of squished SLR tail lights.
I think it looks pretty good, the front looks a bit like a Forester to me.
Old 02-07-07, 04:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Joining the all-new 2008 Toyota Highlander at the Toyota stand in Chicago is the fuel-efficient hybrid version of the new Highlander. Like the previous Highlander hybrid, the latest hybrid version is powered by a 3.3-liter V-6 and two electric motors (one motor powers the front wheels while a smaller electric motor powers the rear wheels). The engine and the front electric motor are both coupled to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) which is the only transmission available. The gas-electric combo is good for 270 horsepower, the same output as the new 3.5-liter V-6 in the non-hybrid Highlander, or two more horses than the previous Highlander Hybrid.

here you go....
Old 02-07-07, 04:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
The tails remind me of squished SLR tail lights.
I think it looks pretty good, the front looks a bit like a Forester to me.
more you look at it, it looks better... The pics are awful though. I want to see at show pics....

Quick Reply: All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show