Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Looking to Take Full Control of Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Exclamation Toyota Looking to Take Full Control of Subaru

Law OK with Toyota-Fuji

James B. Treece | | Automotive News / February 5, 2007 - 1:00 am

TOKYO -- A change in Japanese antitrust rules has opened the way for Toyota Motor Corp. to take over Subaru maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

In October 2005, Toyota bought 8.7 percent of Fuji Heavy. At the time, General Motors was selling its 20 percent stake in Fuji Heavy.

Analysts said Toyota would have preferred to buy a controlling stake in the Subaru carmaker, but doing so would have run afoul of antitrust rules. Toyota and Fuji Heavy combined held 45.6 percent of the 2006 Japanese car market.

Until now, that was a problem. Antitrust rules forbid any company to control 50 percent of Japan's market for any product.

Under the rule change, though, Japan's antitrust authorities will consider global market share, not Japanese market share, in reviewing mergers and acquisitions.

Companies now will be allowed to join regardless of their combined Japanese market share, so long as the new company's global market share is under 50 percent. The change, which takes effect April 1, is designed to strengthen Japanese companies' competitiveness on world markets.

Old 02-05-07, 08:24 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking over the world.
I like it. Bring some AWD/turbo tech into the Toyota world. I'd rock a turbo AWD/RWD Lex coupe.
Old 02-05-07, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I went to the Subaru dealer on Saturday that we have here (they just opened up recently in Mexico) and the manager of the dealership was commenting to me on this possibility. Would really enjoy seeing this occur as I have admired the WRX and even the turbocharged Forester.
Old 02-05-07, 08:38 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet now thats some nice news to my ears
Old 02-05-07, 09:02 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota = all about cutting cost.
Subaru = screw cost, we build what we like.

this isnt good guys. I dont want Fuji Heavy Industries to lose its character. I like how they use aluminum in the Legacy to save a few kilos. I like how they dedicate to boxer configuration engines. I like how they go against the norm and build a 660cc R2 with double wishbone suspension. I really hope Toyota still will let them build the diesel hybrid they are planning on building. Im already mad they pulled the plug on the Atkinson cycle engine with turbo and hybrid....it seems like the perfect engine.

I dont want Subaru to die. and yes, i admit, i am a subaru fan as well.
Old 02-05-07, 09:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Bring some AWD/turbo tech into the Toyota world.

I'd rock a turbo AWD/RWD Lex coupe.
That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Subaru does know how to blend power and AWD together...
Old 02-05-07, 09:12 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

this isnt good guys. I dont want Fuji Heavy Industries to lose its character. I like how they use aluminum in the Legacy to save a few kilos. I like how they dedicate to boxer configuration engines. I like how they go against the norm and build a 660cc R2 with double wishbone suspension. I really hope Toyota still will let them build the diesel hybrid they are planning on building. Im already mad they pulled the plug on the Atkinson cycle engine with turbo and hybrid....it seems like the perfect engine.

This doesn't mean that Subaru will "die". Keep in mind that Hino is a part of Toyota, and has been for a long time. Hino, even now, builds their trucks under a somewhat different philosophy than Toyota does. For Hino trucks, quality and reliability, along with low operating costs and cheap repairs are top priorities. That's why Hino trucks in some countries are fairly expensive compared to the competition, but Hino has a near-legendary reputation for it's quality.

In other words, Toyota owning Subaru won't necessarily mean it will fully control all operations of Subaru, and does not mean that Subaru cars will suddenly lose their uniqueness.

I think Toyota taking control of Subaru will simply mean more joint development between Toyota and Fuji on battery development, and Toyota gaining more knowledge and experience in building compact AWD systems.

Such a tie-up could even mean a possible return to WRC for Toyota .
Old 02-05-07, 09:17 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This doesn't mean that Subaru will "die". Keep in mind that Hino is a part of Toyota, and has been for a long time. Hino, even now, builds their trucks under a somewhat different philosophy than Toyota does. For Hino trucks, quality and reliability, along with low operating costs and cheap repairs are top priorities. That's why Hino trucks in some countries are fairly expensive compared to the competition, but Hino has a near-legendary reputation for it's quality.

I think Toyota taking control of Subaru will simply mean more joint development between Toyota and Fuji on battery development, and Toyota gaining more knowledge and experience in building compact AWD systems.

Such a tie-up could even mean a possible return to WRC for Toyota .
True. Hino is doing hybrid and other stuff with Toyota...but Im just so scared that Subaru wont be the Subaru we know now anymore. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

and if Toyota is going to return for WRC, they better do a better job of cheating this time
Old 02-05-07, 10:48 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if this would affect the price of Subaru cars much...

Seems like this would be good for Toyota and maybe they can come out with another sports car using some of that Subaru drivetrain and hopefully it'll be priced similarly.
Old 02-05-07, 11:31 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

toyota had a great awd setup, and rally-winning car with the celica gt-four. they just never continued with it. toyota has the knowledge, they just never applied it to the market
Old 02-05-07, 11:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

I doubt it... More money for Subaru means they have ways to develop more cars and better cars.

Toyota could use Subaru as their sports brand, same as Scions are its youth brand...

Subaru has very limited sales and appeal outside of Japan and USA, and it is not as if they sell a lot in USA either...
Old 02-05-07, 12:05 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news for both companies IMO.
Old 02-05-07, 12:24 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I doubt it... More money for Subaru means they have ways to develop more cars and better cars.

Toyota could use Subaru as their sports brand, same as Scions are its youth brand...

Subaru has very limited sales and appeal outside of Japan and USA, and it is not as if they sell a lot in USA either...
dont forget about canada
subaru is doing very well in canada because a lot of canadians are buying into AWD for snowing winters and vancouverites are more outdoorsy
Old 02-05-07, 04:53 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by spwolf
you'd be suprised how competitive Subaru is in Japan.
Old 02-05-07, 06:38 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baddis es
toyota had a great awd setup, and rally-winning car with the celica gt-four. they just never continued with it. toyota has the knowledge, they just never applied it to the market
Key word, HAD... back in 99. Subaru and Mitsubishi have come a long way in awd technology (for performance car apps.) Toyota has a great AWD system for its trucks/suvs, but what it puts in its cars arent anything impressive.

Lexus IS/GS with subaru awd = great competition for audi

Quick Reply: Toyota Looking to Take Full Control of Subaru