Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ES v GS

Old 01-31-07, 12:45 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES v GS

Whats the difference? We in the UK don't have the ES model. It looks very similar in size to a GS. Is it a more specced up motor than the GS? Is it between the IS and GS? Or maybe between the GS and LS?
Old 01-31-07, 12:50 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ES is a FWD entry level luxury sedan. It is smaller than the GS I believe. It is based off of a Camry.

The IS and GS are considered sport luxury sedans.
The 2GR-FE is used in the ES.
The 2GR-FSE is used in the IS350 and GS450h.
The difference between the motors is that the FSE heads have direct injection where as the FE heads do not.
They are both 3.5 V6 engines.
Old 01-31-07, 01:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, due to electronic nannies, soft suspension, and the such, the GS is limited from its full potential and rides like the ES.

The new gen GS needs to feel and perform at least like the new gen IS, but alas, it fails to meet such expectations...
Old 01-31-07, 01:55 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Unfortunately, due to electronic nannies, soft suspension, and the such, the GS is limited from its full potential and rides like the ES.

The new gen GS needs to feel and perform at least like the new gen IS, but alas, it fails to meet such expectations...
i along with many other ppl that love lexus do not have the expectation that GS will be a high performance sedan
i like GS the way it is, soft, comfortable and luxurious
thats why ive got a 2GS instead of a 540i

i think ES gets a bit more trunk space than GS
thats because ES is FWD so it doesnt need a big differential at the rear

basically ES is lexus's version of a camry
Old 01-31-07, 02:03 PM
Koma

Well the GS460 hasn't been released yet, so they may want to detune the car.
Or maybe they're making the GS350 the mild mannered car and the GS460 the torque beast.
Old 01-31-07, 02:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel the ES has more room than the GS inside...

...the GS of course drives more nicely, IMO, with the RWD, but the FWD ES is nice too.
Old 01-31-07, 02:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i along with many other ppl that love lexus do not have the expectation that GS will be a high performance sedan
i like GS the way it is, soft, comfortable and luxurious
thats why ive got a 2GS instead of a 540i
I think that is why people get the ES instead of the GS; you get nearly the same soft, comfortable, and luxurious ride for $10k less.

All that I'm saying is that they need to be a little different. I think there is nothing wrong with the GS as far as luxury and comfort is concerned. However, it does need to differentiate itself significantly from the ES to justify such a premium...

Originally Posted by Koma
Well the GS460 hasn't been released yet, so they may want to detune the car.
Or maybe they're making the GS350 the mild mannered car and the GS460 the torque beast.
I, too, am eagerly awaiting the GS460. Since the LS460 is the ultra-soft luxury sedan, I would love the GS460 to be the "beast" that it should be...
Old 02-01-07, 01:56 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

the Es is like driving a sofa on wheels. the GS is much different. true the GS could be a better handling more "sporty" car, but the GS handles a lot better and IMO is a huge difference between the cars not just the price.
Old 02-01-07, 02:02 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

1990 ES250

1989 Toyota Camry

Hehe, very similar, dont you think?
So the Whoever said the ES is basically the Lexus Camry..was right.
Old 02-01-07, 08:43 AM
LexFather

This statement is so far from the truth. I've had extensive seat time in every Lexus, the 3GS rides like a modded 2GS. The ES is very soft in comparison. The rides and drive is like a night and day difference.
Scale of fun
IS-GS-SC-LS-ES

IS being the funniest, ES being the least fun.

And the new ES 350 while not a sports sedan, feels less like a Town Car than previous ES's.

Old 02-01-07, 08:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DBaristo
Whats the difference? We in the UK don't have the ES model. It looks very similar in size to a GS. Is it a more specced up motor than the GS? Is it between the IS and GS? Or maybe between the GS and LS?
To answer your statment.
U.K loves small and fun. The ES has no place in the U.K. It is longer than the GS and drives like a LS. No one would buy it. No diesal offered either. It is for the American market, where it does VERY well, every year since 1992.

The ES and GS share almost nothing. ES and GS 350 share the 3.5 liter engine but the ES does not have direct injection.

Old 02-01-07, 11:17 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Right so the ES is actually a bigger car than the GS? FWD keeps its production cost down (is it cheaper than an IS?) I know little or nothing of the ES which is why I asked here. I am not dissin the car btw. I myself have the turbo'd JDM gen 1 GS (so not even technically a lexus). Cheers for the response fellas I feel enlightened now.
Old 02-01-07, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DBaristo
Right so the ES is actually a bigger car than the GS? FWD keeps its production cost down (is it cheaper than an IS?) I know little or nothing of the ES which is why I asked here. I am not dissin the car btw. I myself have the turbo'd JDM gen 1 GS (so not even technically a lexus). Cheers for the response fellas I feel enlightened now.
In the USA, the IS 250 is the lowest priced Lexus. The ES 350 is next, than the IS 350.
The ES 350 is large and has always been a large for for its price class from 188 inches to about 192 inches now. It battles front drivers like the Acura TL (u don't get that either, that car is designed in America, built in America, for America) Buicks, Caddy etc.
The IS is the Euro influenced small, sportier brother similar in size and execution to the 3/C class/A4.

The GS is the Euro influenced larger brother to the IS, 5/A6/E class competiton.

The ES has always been Toyota Camry based, so they share platforms and engines. This keeps costs down. The ES is built in Japan, the Camry in Kentucky, USA.

Old 02-01-07, 12:54 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
the Es is like driving a sofa on wheels..
This is funny I would wait for the 4th Gen GS if you want a GS. The 3rd gen is too artificial feeling, floaty, and not suited for those tight roads you have in Europe. I figure the mighty V10 GS-F will come to life in the 4th gen, which should be an improvement.
Old 02-01-07, 01:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To answer your statment.
U.K loves small and fun. The ES has no place in the U.K. It is longer than the GS and drives like a LS.
I think the LS drives marketedly better than the ES, IMO. Yes, both the LS and ES are more tuned for smooth comfort than the IS and GS, but I think the LS itself has a more aggressive nature than the ES, at least that's the feel I get with the V8 and RWD, plus other attributes. Not that I dislike the ES, having driven several generations, but the LS is a very elevated animal. And it's sold internationally, including the UK.

Last edited by encore888; 02-01-07 at 01:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES v GS