Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus has the most rattles & squeaks of any luxury brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 02:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
I don't see how one thread talking about rattles in a Lexus is a Lexus bash fest. It's cars guys, don't take it so personally. My SC400 didn't have a rattle, squeak, buzz, hum, or whistle to speak of, it was like a tank. That said, so was my G35 (which a lot of people had rattle issues with), in the end a lot of the evidence is just anecdotal. Lexus build quality on *some* models *right now* seems to have gone down a bit, a few more wear issues here and there. I don't find this to be a huge issue because if Toyota/Lexus has shown us anything it's that they learn from mistakes.
You're right. In the end, personal stories are anecdotal, and insignificant evidence of the overall quality of a automotive brand. At practically any survey or publication you look at, Lexus remains the top luxury brand when it comes to quality.
Old 01-03-07, 02:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i posted, assuming that some people owned japanese and german cars, and could comment on the rattles.

by extension, i also assumed that these people would also be german car enthusiasts, and would know the german car enthusiast community better, regarding rattle n squeak issues.

I also limited my question strictly to rattles, because I've also heard about all the electronic and mechanical problems of the german cars. But I don't think I've heard as much about german rattles/squeaks.

I can only comment based on comparison between my 2003 es300 and my 2007 es350. The es300 has 70000 miles, and has no such rattles as my 350, which only has 5000 miles. Combined with a few engine problems, this tells me that lexus has probably taken a nosedive in quality just recently.

I would assume that lexus would do everything in its power to make the uber expensive LS460 and older LS's rattle-free. Either that, or there aren't enough LS's owners on the street to comment about noises.

Last edited by dunnojack; 01-03-07 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 03:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
One things folks have not mentioned. Tires and wheels have gotten bigger and bigger over the years. Low profile tires are more rough. Stiffer suspension coupled with stiff sidewalls will yield more rattles, body flexing, etc.

I would expect a car like a GS or IS to develop significant rattles over time compared to an ES or LS because of the sport packages.
Now this is a fantastic point, one I've also made in the past. People are so sometimes. They want more sport but don't want what comes with it. They want a better looking car with bigger wheels and thinner tires but want to keep the 70 sidewall size plushness.

Looking at recent threads, I can agree Lexus has had more people complaining about "rattles" than before (comparing newer to older cars).

Old 01-03-07, 03:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Exclamation

Everyone needs to stop the stone throwing please.

+1 Some folks on this board need a better story. If someone complains about a Lexus rattle or tranny, someone else first shouts out thank god it is not BMW or MB. Why must they deflect from the issue at hand rather than cast misguided stones? Lexus are great cars but the class of some of the owners is quite low.
Originally Posted by lkirchner
------------+2

Sbrandon and lkirchner... in case you missed it... THE ORIGINAL POSTER STARTED THIS THREAD COMPARING LEXUS RATTLES WITH DIFFERENT BRANDS INCLUDING MB AND BMW. The Lexus fanboys did not deflect anything. I'm not saying that does not happen here or doesn't happen often, but your complaining comments here are not topical to this thread and Sbrandon your sweeping rude 'class of some of the owners' commentary is not appreciated. You owe this forum an apology.

All: I am politely asking you stop making Lexus bias a controversy on Club Lexus. We are a Lexus forum, and there will be bias just like there is on other brand forums. If you can't accept that will happen, I suggest you resign your membership here and stop reading this forum. I'm sorry but I'm not going to continue to debate this over and over.... take it as the nature of the beast and move on.

Accept that a few of our members are Lexus-fanboys to the extreme, other members have a lot of problems with their Lexus and are here to express complaints and look for solutions to issues. The vast majority of our members are somewhere in the middle and the recent stress created by the minority - on both sides - is going to diminish.

I promise that I will try to moderate this forum fairly with all members as possible and enforce our forum rules effectively, regardless of the 'model bias' of the member (or moderator). I will also moderate this forum with the understanding above that Club Lexus is first and foremost a Lexus forum for Lexus owners. If you are going to broadly insult the membership of CL, I will consider that to be a personal attack. Within a short period, expect this to be added to the forum rules.

Back on topic please and take any personal comments to PM.

Moderators - I expect all of you to help me with this in the future rather than contributing to the issue please.
Old 01-03-07, 04:12 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looking at recent threads, I can agree Lexus has had more people complaining about "rattles" than before (comparing newer to older cars).
These are first year cars.

I had just spoken with a Toyota dealer's shop foreman who told me his wife bought an 06 Camry even though the 07's were already out. He wouldn't buy the first model year.

Then he said he was going to trade his Silverado in for the new 5.7L V8 Tundra but only the 08 MY.

Fact is the first runs will have issues, this is well known and not exculsive to any nameplate.
Old 01-03-07, 04:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
These are first year cars.

I had just spoken with a Toyota dealer's shop foreman who told me his wife bought an 06 Camry even though the 07's were already out. He wouldn't buy the first model year.

Then he said he was going to trade his Silverado in for the new 5.7L V8 Tundra but only the 08 MY.

Fact is the first runs will have issues, this is well known and not exculsive to any nameplate.
Very good point

Old 01-03-07, 04:15 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

One things folks have not mentioned. Tires and wheels have gotten bigger and bigger over the years. Low profile tires are more rough. Stiffer suspension coupled with stiff sidewalls will yield more rattles, body flexing, etc.
The frames are now more rigid, welds are stronger, design is better, quality of steel is improved, etc.
Old 01-03-07, 05:35 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Former owner of a 535i, 90 model, 120k on it------- 2 12's, NO rattles at all.

Somebody's smokin crack, and it ain't me--

No rattles at ANY speed..

My SC400 is on par with the 5 series, but I drove a 300E that was a cheeser compared to these cars. Total bore to drive, felt like a brick with wheels.
Old 01-03-07, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

OK, the OP was about Lexus rattles and squeaks. My opinion based on a lot of driving of Lexus and other luxury cars, like Mercedes and BMW, is that IN GENERAL, the Mercedes and BMW cars seem to have STIFFER chassis than Lexus - now I'm not talking about suspensions here - I'm talking about body twisting, 'jiggling', etc. which can cause squeaks and rattles as parts not normally in contact do so momentarily. That's my opinion on why Lexus might have more squeaks and rattles than its competitors. I've owned Lexus, don't currently, but it's highly likely I will again in the future.

Now having said that, Lexus makes AWESOME vehicles and without question is overall more RELIABLE mechanically and electrically that its competitors. BMW and Mercedes have far too many electrical gremlins in particular. But this thread isn't about that so I'll stop right there.

DaveGS4 - I hope this was in the spirit you wanted.
Old 01-03-07, 08:21 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Just an FYI Ford Mustang has the most rattles of any car.... Trust me... Lexus is top quality and nowhere near the rattles that other cars have...
Old 01-03-07, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Just an FYI Ford Mustang has the most rattles of any car.... Trust me... Lexus is top quality and nowhere near the rattles that other cars have...
LOL - yeah but hear that exhaust in a Mustang GT and you won't give a crap about rattles.
Old 01-04-07, 04:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I would expect a car like a GS or IS to develop significant rattles over time compared to an ES or LS because of the sport packages.
I specifically covered these things, brandon, in my first post in this thread...you might not have read it.

The newest Lexus products seem to vary quite a bit in how well they are made. I have reviewed several of the new Lexus regular passenger cars.

The LS460 and GS300 AWD are both superb, from a build-quality and fit-and-finish point of view. The IS250 AWD has nice fit-and-finish and generally good build quality but is noticeably less solid than the old IS300, especially in interior hardware. The ES350, IMO, is a disappointment....cheaper-quality interior materials and poorer fit-and-finish throughout.

It is also worth noting that newer Lexus models, aside from just the interior components, are more LIKELY to develop squeaks and rattles than their predecessors, even if they in fact do not do so, from the fact that suspensions and tires on the new ones are generally stiffer than the outgoing models, and jolt the car's frames more. This was done in an obvious effort to make the models more " sporting, " which is FINE for cars like the IS250/350, which competes with the BMW 3-series, but was TOTALLY out of place on the ES350 which is not SUPPOSED to be a sports sedan
And he new ES WILL be more likely to develop rattles.....as my test car did.....than the old ES, simply because the suspension and tires, this year, are notably firmer than last year.
Old 01-04-07, 04:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL - yeah but hear that exhaust in a Mustang GT and you won't give a crap about rattles.
Slightly off-topic, but a V8 Mustang exhaust, while loud and burbling in the American muscle-car V8 tradition, is quite nasal-like.....if you want to hear a real exhaust note, it is hard to beat Porsche.

Don't even get me started on the Mustang's interior....despite the flashy chrome and aluminum dash inserts ( which aren't even there on the V6 model ), it is the very definition of automotive cheapness.
Old 01-04-07, 06:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
DaveGS4 - I hope this was in the spirit you wanted.
Perfect, thank you!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Slightly off-topic, but a V8 Mustang exhaust, while loud and burbling in the American muscle-car V8 tradition, is quite nasal-like.....if you want to hear a real exhaust note, it is hard to beat Porsche.
I actually agree with bit here... Although we have a Porsche in the garage (with an aftermarket exhaust) I prefer the exhaust note of the Mustang and even the G35 / 350Z to that of the Porsche. Ferarri is another OEM exhaust note that really draws me in.
Old 01-04-07, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Perfect, thank you!

I actually agree with bit here... Although we have a Porsche in the garage (with an aftermarket exhaust) I prefer the exhaust note of the Mustang and even the G35 / 350Z to that of the Porsche. F.
Kristen's car, right ? I remember when you bought it.....used, if my memory is correct, and brought it back from Texas.

Did you buy it with the aftermarket exhaust or with the stock one and then convert it? The reason I ask is that I don't know if you got a chance or not to hear the car with the original one on it. Every stock Porsche I've ever driven or listened to has been just like music.

However, the V8 Mustang's bark is distinctive, if nothing else. It has been almost identical for quite a few years. I'm not exaggerating......I can pick out the sound of a stock Mustang GT, SVT, or Cobra from some distance away even blindfolded ( for one thing, kids drag-race them almost constantly ). Many of the GM V6's, dating from now back to the 1980's, also have a distinctive sound that is instantly recognizable without ever seeing the car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-07 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: lexus has the most rattles & squeaks of any luxury brand?