Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do Successful people want to be associated with a successful brand?
Yes, it helps the ovarall image of the brand and of the owner
40.00%
Yes, people do associate the two but it does not deter me from purchase if the brand stinks
17.14%
No, the two are not associated
17.14%
Failing or faltering brands are what successful people do not want to be associated with
25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Jaguar execs: "Successful people want to be associated with Successful Brands"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Jaguar execs: "Successful people want to be associated with Successful Brands"

There is an article in the new CAR about Jags plans.

First they acknowledge in the luxury class, people and buyers want to be associated with a successful brand and one that is doing well. Buyers in the luxury arena are much more reluctant to make a purchase if the brand is failing or has a poor vision and is not doing well.

Basically they are happy with the XK/XK-R reception but they know that is a very limited seller.

A Jag XK will run in the GT3 class! soon, competing with Aston Martin. That is something Ford didn't want to do but with Aston maybe being sold, now is the time for a super XK.

Thus, a XK-R-R is on the ropes, think Porsche GT3, a more hardcore XK, with 500hp, bigger brakes, etc etc.

Jag is also hopeful with their new XF. They know internally that car may make or break them.

A XJ facelift is coming after the XF to more closely align all the cars looks.

THey still acknowledge the X-type is HUGE disapointment. No word on if it will be put out of its misery and discontinued.

Rumors of a small XK coupe/convert are circling.

Old 01-01-07, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
First they acknowledge in the luxury class, people and buyers want to be associated with a successful brand and one that is doing well. Buyers in the luxury arena are much more reluctant to make a purchase if the brand is failing or has a poor vision and is not doing well.
I get SO sick and tired ( not at you, of course, Mike ) of reading about automotive "image". It causes so many problems and distortions in car buying.........and may ruin a great company like Jaguar. If people would simply F-O-R-G-E-T image and JUST buy what they want, what they or like, or what they need, instead of trying to impresses or outdo the Jones'es......both they and the auto industry and would be a lot better off. See my additional comments below.

THey still acknowledge the X-type is HUGE disapointment. No word on if it will be put out of its misery and discontinued.
I agree that the X-Type HAS been a disappointment, primarily because of its poor repair record, but there is no reason WHY it HAD to be a disappointment....and Jag, of course, could have given it better quality control like it did in the mid-1990's. It is a nicely styled car, has classy looks, and the traditional Jag wood and leather inside. In addition, it is the only entry-level luxury car in the American market with standard AWD, a plus in foul-weather areas.....Quattro is an option on many Audis, not standard, and is not available at all on some A3's.
I think the car's main problem, besides a substandard repair record, just gets back to the same old ridiculous " image " problem again. People THINK there is something wrong with a Jag priced in the 30-40K range; they THINK a Jag should run at least twice that. In fact, there is NOTHING wrong with a Jag in that price range.....the public is just losing out on the car by not buying it.

We saw the same thing, in reverse, with the VW Phaeton...an enormous bargain of a car, especially the W12, that just didn't sell, not because VW SHOULDN'T sell a car like that, but because people THOUGHT that VW shouldn't sell a car like that in that class and price range. Once again, "image" ruled....to the detriment of a great car. Never mind the fact that it undercut BMW and Mercedes V12's by tens of thousands of dollars. In the end, when the car was dropped from the American market, the public themselves lost out by rejecting the car.

Now, I know that there are some people who disagree with this view...they believe that the public should dictate what manufacturers build, not marketers. That, in a free market economy like ours, of course, is true to an extent, but it is also just as true that if the public is dumb enough to reject a good automotive bargain just because of "image" when it IS built and it IS offered, they are the ones losing out....more so than even the manufaturer

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-07 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-01-07, 06:51 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor only buys Jags, currently in an 02 XJ6 I think. He is ashamed that the X-type models bear the Jaguar name and says that the the Ford based models don't "feel" like Jaguars, in either comfort or ride quality.

Personally I think Jags are all ugly and overpriced but whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-01-07, 07:38 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I have absolutely no feeling toward Juguar vehicles. I would choose Mazda over Jaguar any day without even one millisecond of hesitation.
Old 01-01-07, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dabigman
My neighbor only buys Jags, currently in an 02 XJ6 I think. He is ashamed that the X-type models bear the Jaguar name and says that the the Ford based models don't "feel" like Jaguars, in either comfort or ride quality.
Having driven an X-Class, I agree with your neighbor to an extent.....the X does not have quite the comfort or refinement of either the XJ or S-Class sedans. But that is nothing to be ashamed of...I disagree with your neighbor on that part. The X-Class, in ride comfort or quietness, is not SUPPOSED to be the equal of an $80,000 Jaguar...or even a $60,000 one. It is an entry-level luxury car, not a premium-class one, and actually fulfills that role pretty well. In addition, the X, with its AWD, will easily go through weather that will leave your neighbor's RWD XJ6 sideways in a ditch. The X is also available in a clever wagon version that allows greater use of the cargo area...like for skis.
Old 01-01-07, 09:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

We had two XJ6s in the 80s, and despite the problems, we enjoyed the vehicles. We had always like Jags, and I still think about getting and old XKE. However, although I like having a luxury vehicle, I couldn't care less about the image. While nice to have a 'luxury' vehicle, in the end if I like something I am going to buy it.
Old 01-02-07, 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
However, although I like having a luxury vehicle, I couldn't care less about the image. While nice to have a 'luxury' vehicle, in the end if I like something I am going to buy it.
A wise man.
A good example of a bargain "luxury" car is the Hyundai Azera. Despite Hyundai's low so-called "image", it is more of a luxury car.....and a better one....than those from some from some "luxury" nameplates like Cadillac and Lincoln.

Anyhow, back to Jag.......the thread topic. While I wouldn't want to see it happen, dropping the X-Class may have at least SOME justification, though, if the company follows through on a rumored car-based AWD SUV. Just about every other non-exotic European automaker in the American market is offering either an SUV or an SUV-ike vehicle.....Jag is about the only holdout.
Old 01-02-07, 05:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I chose the last option but for practical reasons rather than image reasons:

a failing car company may go out of business--how far will my warranty get me then? What about servicing and getting replacement parts?

Case in point : Rover in the UK.
Old 01-02-07, 05:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
I chose the last option but for practical reasons rather than image reasons:

a failing car company may go out of business--how far will my warranty get me then? What about servicing and getting replacement parts?

Case in point : Rover in the UK.
Parts and service are usually available for around 5 years or so after a company closes up shop. There is a Federal law on this for any auto manufacturer who does buisness in the American market, but I don't remember how long the law actually covers.

For instance, there is a shop here in northern VA, just a few miles away from me, that STILL stocks some parts and does some service on the few remaining French Renaults and Peugeots in the area, even though both manufaturers left the American market in the 1980's.

Olympic and Olympus Auto parts ( see their websites ) also carry a line of import car parts that often are difficult to find elsewhere.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-07 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 06:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X-type is based on the Mondeo/Contour platform. I have to say in most cases, basing a luxury car with a starting price of 30k+ on a small almost econo car with a starting price of 15k, is kinda weird.
Old 01-02-07, 08:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Ironic that Jaguar is acknowledging this, considering they aren't doing well. Also tied to this topic is the point of brand heritage, and how especially in Europe, it plays a strong role in a brand's sales, even if the product offering is mediocre.
Old 01-02-07, 08:28 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Parts and service are usually available for around 5 years or so after a company closes up shop. There is a Federal law on this for any auto manufacturer who does buisness in the American market, but I don't remember how long the law actually covers.

For instance, there is a shop here in northern VA, just a few miles away from me, that STILL stocks some parts and does some service on the few remaining French Renaults and Peugeots in the area, even though both manufaturers left the American market in the 1980's.

Olympic and Olympus Auto parts ( see their websites ) also carry a line of import car parts that often are difficult to find elsewhere.

Your points are well taken but generally such parts will be harder to come by and may be more expensive. Also the resale value will also be affected for cars made by defunct companies.
Old 01-02-07, 11:16 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Ironic that Jaguar is acknowledging this, considering they aren't doing well. Also tied to this topic is the point of brand heritage, and how especially in Europe, it plays a strong role in a brand's sales, even if the product offering is mediocre.
Definitely agree there. Similar to domestic brand heritage in the U.S.
Old 01-02-07, 11:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread reminds me of something that happened at work recently. A co-worker was asking me about my car, a third person not involved in the conversation and who doesn't know me well said, "you buy a Lexus because you want to show off."
At first I was offended because this person knows nothing about my intentions. Second, I was offended because she might be right. I quickly pointed out how I've tried "regular" cars and my size and weight calls for better quality. In previous cars I wore out the seat, the carpet and the interior in general but my Lexus has withstood the test of time....and my big behind. I also replied with information about reliability and higher resale values. After leaving the room, I thought...I do like to show off some. Has to be. Why else would I wear thousands worth of jewelry. Why else would I wear expensive cologne. Shoes are needed for my big feet. Quality eyewear is needed for my sensitive eyes. I can't explain away the gold though. In the end, I am who I am and that's all there is to it.
Old 01-02-07, 11:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Successful people want to be associated with a Successful brand.

Successful people also may want to be associated with an __________ brand.
***(Might as well fill it in with other words such as Expensive [read too much for their own good], Historic, Designer, Critically Acclaimed [even though it's crap for them, like sports coupes for midlife-crisis men], and the such)

They depict completely different mentalities. Some people do it because of their perception of success, and other people do it because of desire for percieved status...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-02-07 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar execs: "Successful people want to be associated with Successful Brands"