Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AOL and Forbes Pick Best and Worst Car Names

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default AOL and Forbes Pick Best and Worst Car Names

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...19112609990001

An interesting site. See how many of these you guys agree and disagree with.

( bit...you'll like the fact that they picked Explorer as one of the Best Car Names ) .
Old 12-22-06, 01:23 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't need an outdated internet company and a old persons magazine to tell me trends...
Old 12-22-06, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vraa
I don't need an outdated internet company and a old persons magazine to tell me trends...
Well, as far as " outdated " goes, do you read the big auto mags? Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, and Consumer Reports...........none of these publications are exactly spring chickens either, yet they still do a good job.....Motor Trend excepted.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-06 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 03:12 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's VW Toureg and Phaeton?

I have to disagree with the Dodge Ram.

For some reason, I really like the way Honda Accord sounds.
Old 12-22-06, 03:30 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, as far as " outdated " goes, do you read the big auto mags? Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, and Consumer Reports...........none of these publications are exactly spring chickens either, yet they still do a good job.....Motor Trend excepted.
You mention more irrelevant adverti... magazines.
Old 12-22-06, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Where's VW Toureg and Phaeton?

I have to disagree with the Dodge Ram.

For some reason, I really like the way Honda Accord sounds.
I agree that that Touraeg is not the best-sounding automotive name I ever heard.....and though I myself don't think it is offensive, VW got complaints from some African-American groups when the name first came out. We had an entire thread and discussion on that, here in CAR CHAT.

I'm not totally sure of this, but If my memory is right, I think that the name Accord came from Honda's efforts at the time (1976) to introduce a car that was slightly larger than a Civic and more in " Accord " with American market tastes.
And.........obviously........it was a good marketing move. Both the Civic and Accord went on, with the Corolla and Camry, to become some of the most popular cars in American history.
Old 12-22-06, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fine.......then never mind this thread. Go read what you want.

Have a nice evening and Happy Holiday.
Old 12-22-06, 05:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find it interesting that only cars from motown made the "Best names" list.

and how the japanese vehicles only made the "weird" names list, and are all from the past.
Old 12-22-06, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

vraa - I certainly don't normally go on aol content either, but I was wondering - where do you get your info on trends then? I'm all over the net.

As for Forbes, I wouldn't write off its expertise so lightly. The old guy Steve Forbes is unbelievably smart and successful. Another old guy is Warren Buffett (no relation to Jimmy as far as I know). Know him?
Old 12-22-06, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster

and how the japanese vehicles only made the "weird" names list, and are all from the past.
In the slideshow there's many American cars that are in the worst category, or 'overreaching', and most of the American vehicles shown are also old.

As for the Japanese names, you gotta admit the Live Dunk is a bit much, lol.
Old 12-23-06, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster

Well, yes, that is their opinion........not necessarily yours or mine. That is why I posted it for discussion.
Old 12-23-06, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As for Forbes, I wouldn't write off its expertise so lightly. The old guy Steve Forbes is unbelievably smart and successful. Another old guy is Warren Buffett (no relation to Jimmy as far as I know). Know him?
You got that right, bit. I'd love to see us go to a simple, no-nonsense flat tax structure like he has proposed so many times.

I'm not a fan of extreme sporting, and tend to like classy car names myself...things like Crown Victoria, Electra, DeVille, Town Car, etc.....
but that DOESN'T mean that all I want to do is drive so-called Grandpa cars. Not true...but I DO like those classy names. I've never been a fan of the way that companies like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, ( and now Lincoln, unlike before ) just use letters, numbers, or combinations for a vehicle. My feeling is...if you're doing to design a vehicle, NAME it......don't just use bingo combinations.
Old 12-23-06, 09:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree... I already know what all the "magazines" will say. "This SUV doesn't have as much soul as BMW 3-series! We can't take it on the 'ring as quickly; even tho it IS an SUV and made for something else, we still dont' like it"

I get my reliability info from CR and my car reviews from CAR FORUMS; where real owners and less biased test drivers exist.
Old 12-23-06, 11:04 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not totally sure of this, but If my memory is right, I think that the name Accord came from Honda's efforts at the time (1976) to introduce a car that was slightly larger than a Civic and more in " Accord " with American market tastes.
. . . and if my memory serves, the "Civic" came from the Compound Vortex Combustion Chamber (CVCC) engine option on the old Honda 600. (Well, they tried to make it pronounceable!) You gotta remember this came about at the height of the '70's trend toward publishing the displacement, valve train, transmission, even fuel management system and braking technology out back in chrome letters on the decklid.
Old 12-24-06, 08:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
I agree... I already know what all the "magazines" will say. "This SUV doesn't have as much soul as BMW 3-series! We can't take it on the 'ring as quickly; even tho it IS an SUV and made for something else, we still dont' like it"

I get my reliability info from CR and my car reviews from CAR FORUMS; where real owners and less biased test drivers exist.
LOL - dude your 'newest' car (according to your sig) is 11 yrs old. By then all the kinks are worked out or it's on a landfill.

Quick Reply: AOL and Forbes Pick Best and Worst Car Names