Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's sales projections show it passing GM in 2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 09:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Toyota's sales projections show it passing GM in 2007

Friday, December 22, 2006

YURI KAGEYAMA / The Associated Press

NAGOYA, Japan -- Toyota announced on Friday a global production target of 9.42 million vehicles for next year, increasing the odds that the Japanese manufacturer will surpass troubled General Motors Corp. as the world's No. 1 automaker.

The latest figure, announced by Toyota in a release, marks a 4 percent increase over the 9.04 million vehicles the company expects to produce this year and easily clears the 9.2 million vehicles GM is estimated to have produced this year.

GM does not give targets for next year, but it has been forced to scale back production recently, seeing its market share eroded by Asian automakers, including Toyota, which have a reputation for better mileage.

The numbers weren't a surprise, given the recent achievements of Toyota, said Tsuyoshi Mochimaru, auto analyst with Deutsche Securities in Tokyo.

"The growth highlights the fantastic reputation Toyota has won for its cars," he said. "Toyota may need to set the next goal to keep its motivation up if it becomes No. 1."

Although Detroit-based GM says the perception that its cars are gas-guzzlers is unfair and inaccurate, it is undergoing massive restructuring after racking up more than $10.6 billion in red ink last year and $3 billion more the first nine months of this year.

Toyota, on the other hand, is on a roll, reporting record profits, churning out best-sellers like the Camry and Corolla as well as carving out a reputation in hybrids, which use a fine-tuned technology of switching between a gasoline engine and electric motor to save gas at a time when oil prices are rising.

Toyota, which passed up Ford Motor Co. as the world's No. 2 automaker in 2003, also painted a bright picture of sales in 2007. It is expecting to sell 9.34 million vehicles globally next year, up from 6 percent from 8.8 million expected for this year.

The bullish outlook lifted Toyota's stock to an all-time closing high of 7,800 yen (US$66.10) in Tokyo.

But Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe barely said anything when asked about the possibility that his company may soon beat GM in global output.

"That's just what the results may be," he said quietly at a news conference at a hotel in Nagoya, central Japan, near Toyota city where the automaker is based.

Watanabe spent far more time talking about how Toyota must strengthen quality controls if it hoped to continue growing.

Toyota has been plagued with a rising number of recalls as it standardizes parts to cut costs and develops and sells more vehicles at a faster pace. Its challenge is to maintain its reputation for quality cars and customer satisfaction at the same time that it continues to rev up production.

"There will be no growth without quality," Watanabe said, adding that quality will be closely monitored at all levels of production, including design, development and procurement. "We'd like to continue our efforts to make good products that win support from our customers."

Although Toyota's production methods, which empowers assembly line workers and trims inventory, are praised by experts, transporting that production to new places remains a challenge.

Toyota is opening new plants in Russia, Thailand and China next year to keep up with demand.

Watanabe said the company was considering adding another plant in North America to keep up with growing demand, although he did not give details.

Of Toyota's projected volume for next year, overseas production will rise 8 percent to 4.27 million vehicles while its domestic output will increase 1 percent to 5.15 million vehicles, the company said. The projections include Toyota Motor Corp.'s subsidiaries, truck-maker Hino Motors, Daihatsu Motor Co., which makes small cars.

In the U.S., the first Tundra pickup trucks rolling off of Toyota's Texas plant will arrive in showrooms in 2007, a sign of Toyota's ambitions in a lucrative sector dominated by American automakers.

Toyota has used its ample coffers to purchase significant stakes in two of GM's former Japanese alliance partners -- Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subaru cars, and truckmaker Isuzu. Toyota will be even using Fuji's Indiana plant to make Camries starting in spring 2007.

GM used to be the top shareholder in Fuji, but sold its entire 20 percent stake last year as part of its efforts to raise cash for restructuring. Toyota bought an 8.7 percent stake in Fuji for about $315 million to become the top shareholder.

Last month, Toyota bought a 5.9 percent stake in Isuzu Motors Ltd., well-known for its diesel technology that Toyota is eager to gain -- half a year after GM sold its entire 7.9 percent stake in Isuzu.
source : detnews
Old 12-22-06, 10:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even bother reading it all; but it seems like the Associated Press or GM are SORELY left without a clue on why Toyota is overtaking GM.

Its not just gas mileage people "Its unfair, we get labeled as gas guzzlers"

Yeah and your cars are built like the garbage they're made out of.... go GM! Totally missing the mark AGAIN!
Old 12-26-06, 11:49 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

All I can say is go Toyota. Toyota all the way. To GM, See Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya...
Old 12-27-06, 03:08 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its kool but also crazy that a non u.s. company will be the leading car maker. I'm not gonna knock GM for losing thier spot, just congrat toyota for gaining one. If I kiss enough GM a$$ do you all think they will give me a good deal on the new Camaro in a couple of years?
Old 12-27-06, 06:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This reminds of when I went in with my uncle and father the other day into a GM dealer down the street to take a look at a few of the vehicles (my uncle likes to see what improvements they make on new models), and my father and I were commenting on quality of Japanese products such as Toyota and the salesman (their head guy) said but GM is a bigger company and with that you can have confidence in our quality. I plan to go down there the moment that Toyota has overtaken them to show him that information.
Old 12-27-06, 09:43 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I certainly understand WHY GM is losing the #1 spot, I question some of you guy's patriotism for being so excited to see one of the largest and most historic companies in the US heading in this direction.

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't make sense or that GM hasn't brought this upon themselves - heck, I buy what car I like best for the money, but that doesn't mean I'm happy to see this happen to GM as it doesn't bode well for the economic situation in the US as a whole.

With that said I honestly see some serious turnaround on GM's part recently. JD Power surveys are confirming this and their product selection is quickly becoming very competitive with the best of the best in certain vehicle segments, and the ones where it's not quite there - well, there's quite a lot on the horizon to be excited about.
Old 12-27-06, 09:47 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

I like Toyota but this is certainly nothing to celebrate. I wish GM could turn itself around. If they don't the reality is, you can enjoy your Lexus as you pay more taxes to feed the unemployed. There is no free ride.

Remember, a lot of GM employees buy Toyotas, Lexus, and Scion. So when they are not working those sales go away as well.
Old 12-27-06, 11:11 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I like Toyota but this is certainly nothing to celebrate. I wish GM could turn itself around. If they don't the reality is, you can enjoy your Lexus as you pay more taxes to feed the unemployed. There is no free ride.

Remember, a lot of GM employees buy Toyotas, Lexus, and Scion. So when they are not working those sales go away as well.
The people who work for GM or used to work for GM can go work for Toyota, Scion, Lexus, Daihatsu and Hino Motors...

Last edited by Trexus; 12-27-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 12:46 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trexus
The people who work for GM or used to work for GM can go work for Toyota, Scion or Lexus...
LOL, you don't get it. The jobs will be in Korea, China, etc. China labor force will be building most cars if they have their way. Toyota won't be able to compete either once Chinese make cars for a buck an hour. Toyota will survive but not the manufacturing in Japan.
Old 12-27-06, 12:51 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
LOL, you don't get it. The jobs will be in Korea, China, etc. China labor force will be building most cars if they have their way. Toyota won't be able to compete either once Chinese make cars for a buck an hour. Toyota will survive but not the manufacturing in Japan.
On the contrary I do get it. The way Toyota outsources labor is far different than the way American companies do it. What Toyota is doing is a win win win situation whereas American companies are only looking out for themselves...