Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Average American millionaire drives a Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 05:42 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Average American millionaire drives a Toyota

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

The No. 1 make of car owned by millionaires in 1996 was Ford. Today, it's Toyota, according to Stanley's new study. Luxury brands do not top the list, and many millionaires, 37 percent in 1996, bought used cars.

"There's certainly something about buying used cars," Stanley said. "Today, they're a little more likely to buy new cars. But what they'll do is buy a $22,000 Toyota and keep it a long time."

Stanley's research shows high-priced cars seem to be wealth-repellant.
Old 12-20-06, 06:56 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double post

Last edited by rai; 12-20-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 06:58 PM
rai
Lead Lap

makes a lot of sense to me, however I have not read the book. But IMO $1M is not a lot of money. Are they talking about $1M net worth? with most houses worth half a million dollars and if you have a decent 401K etc. it's possible there are a lot of 'millionaires' who aren't particularly well off.

I'm not saying it's wise to spend a ton of money on a car or several cars. but the point is that many people make $500K+ a year and for them something like a 7-series BMW would be similar to a new Corrola to somebody making $50K per year.

I know several people who are very rich ( $20M++ I'd guess ) who don't drive flash cars, but just b/c they don't spend money on expensive cars is not the reason they are wealthy, they make $800K ++++++++ per year, so the point about the car is not an issue.

I also know a person who makes $700K+ per year who drives a new 7-series or new A8 every other year.
Old 12-20-06, 07:03 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they have the money but may not necessarily use it on nicer cars?

IMO, life is short. If you have the means, go ahead and buy your 7 or A8. You only live once.
Old 12-20-06, 08:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or an LS.
Old 12-21-06, 03:38 AM
JessePS

Interesting read.

One thing many people are millionaires from a net worth point of view. If you have over a million in financial assets, your pretty much considered a "true" millionaire.

One thing I wish I knew the number of people that are millionaires from net worth and not financial assets.

No use to go on... its a car forum
Old 12-21-06, 06:38 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Read this book, and you'll understand why millionaires are more likely to own a Ford or Toyota. It's because they place more value on wealth than materials things. Which, incidently, is how they became millionaires in the first place.

I have a copy of the book, if anyone wants it.

Old 12-21-06, 06:44 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Not to get all preachy, but I think it's important for people to realize how easy it is to become a 'millionaire'

There are a number of money calculators you can fool around with, but let me give one example.

If you are age 21 and put $214/month till you are 62 (41 years) at 9% (tax deferred account) rate of return and you will have $1M in savings.

If you put off saving till you are 31 years old you'd need to put in $546/mo till you you are 61 years old.
Old 12-21-06, 07:43 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm that doesnt seem so smart about being a millionaire and buying a TOYOTA
Old 12-21-06, 07:56 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
Hmmm that doesnt seem so smart about being a millionaire and buying a TOYOTA
LOL...

Like I mentioned, that's how a huge number of people became millionaires in the first place. By buying inexpensive cars, clothes, homes, etc. How is that not smart??

(unless I misunderstood the intention of your comment?)

Originally Posted by rai
Not to get all preachy, but I think it's important for people to realize how easy it is to become a 'millionaire'

There are a number of money calculators you can fool around with, but let me give one example.

If you are age 21 and put $214/month till you are 62 (41 years) at 9% (tax deferred account) rate of return and you will have $1M in savings.

If you put off saving till you are 31 years old you'd need to put in $546/mo till you you are 61 years old.
Well, to be fair that isn't exactly the point. Yes, you can save a million dollars by the time you reach 62 years of age, but a million at that point in time is going to be like 100K at age 21. Still a nice chunk of change by today's standards, but not enough to live on once you retire. If I reached 62 and only had 100K to live on for the remainder of my life, I'd be living in poverty.
The point is that these people achieve millionaire (+) status at an early age, through spending and investing wisely. By not living extravagantly, driving a Lexus with a $650/mo payment, living in 500K homes, and eating out every night.

Last edited by ff_; 12-21-06 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I guess what he's saying is what's the point of becoming a millionaire if what you have is a number in your bank account/portfolio, but you can't even enjoy something more luxurious than a Toyota & other luxuries.
You don't have to be a millionaire to be happy as long as you are enjoying what you think are the pleasures of life & is financially secure & not living beyond your means.

I do think you have to differentiate between people who take different paths in becoming millionaires. Those who are frugal ( & drive Toyota's etc.) are probably those that do it the hard(& slow) way. Whereas those who became millionaires very quickly from very high paying jobs, starting fast growing businesses & leveraging investments etc. are those who probably will spend their money on luxury more freely. I guess the former type probably constitute the majority.

You can also spend money on luxury items without being wasteful. Don't buy luxury items you don't need, like more than one home, multiple designer clothings that you don't wear more than once, excessive expensive jeweleries, trading multiple expensive cars every year (or even every few months, I've known a guy who does that).

I guess buying a Lexus & keeping it for at least 5 or 6 years or longer is OK.
Old 12-21-06, 08:41 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I guess what he's saying is what's the point of becoming a millionaire if what you have is a number in your bank account/portfolio, but you can't even enjoy something more luxurious than a Toyota & other luxuries.
Certainly. Though I'm thinking that those people are the type that are perfectly happy driving a Ford or Toyota. They probably don't care how a car "feels", how fast it is, or what it looks like (two prerequisites for owning a Ford or Toyota anyhow... ). To them, having the number in their bank account, and keeping more of what they earn instead of giving it to some conglomerate store chain or to Uncle Sam, might be all the glamour they need. That's what turns their crank, so to speak.
Old 12-21-06, 09:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

There's a huge difference b/t penny pinching and being frugal. If you have the money and can definitely spend it without even breaking the bank, then why not? What's the point in making that money and let it sit under the mattress?

I know people who have the $$$$$ but are just tooo cheap. They wanted an S500 but bought an E320. Everytime I ask they just say it's at home. One time, I saw him park far away (to avoid us) to walk to the bank.

But why a toyota? It's more expensive than hyundais/kias/nissans
Old 12-21-06, 09:23 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The saying goes, "Poor people buy cars to impress others, rich people care less about impressing others." Or something similar. Does make some sense though not always true.
Old 12-21-06, 11:24 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The saying goes, "Poor people buy cars to impress others, rich people care less about impressing others." Or something similar. Does make some sense though not always true.
My cousin turned just 32 and paid cash for $800k worth of properties. He bought a 5er in 2001 then a Civic in 2006

Quick Reply: Average American millionaire drives a Toyota