Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Controversy w/GS350 "Symmetry" Commercial & 9/11

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 08:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Controversy w/GS350 "Symmetry" Commercial & 9/11

This would probably be a good Clubhouse-Debate discussion. It maybe a repost...I just ran across this recently.

Originally Posted by by Erik Sass, Friday, Sep 15, 2006 Media Daily News

Agency Dismisses Suggestion That Lexus Ad Uses 9/11 Imagery

AT FIRST, YOU CAN'T BELIEVE your eyes. But as you watch the ad for a new model Lexus, the more you are reminded of 9/11--and the more unsettling it becomes. In the dynamic 30-second spot by Team One Advertising, two sleek cars, identical except for color, tear around lower Manhattan at cinematic speeds. With an adrenaline buzz courtesy of professional drivers, the viewer soon realizes that it's a desperate race to get out of New York. A sign on the West Side Highway announces the Holland Tunnel. On the other side of the Hudson River, the cars screech to a halt at their destination: New Jersey.

Everything in the shot is symmetrical: two streetlamps, two buildings, two cars, two yellow lines on the street that draw the viewer to the Amex building--and the spot where the Twin Towers once stood. The voiceover concludes: "The new 303-horsepower LexusGS350. You can't lose."

It's an artful commercial, but the number of coincidences seems improbable--from the obsessive pairing of symmetrical objects to the shot of empty skyline. Finally, the assertion, "you can't lose." The viewer is affronted by an absurd denial of facts. The catchphrase flies in the face of reality: Clearly, we can lose, and on a terrifying scale. So what does the ad mean?

Meg Seiler, a spokesperson for Team One Advertising, says the ad "wasn't designed to have anything to do with 9/11," adding that she isn't sure anybody was aware of using Ground Zero as a backdrop. "It's just a beautiful shot of Manhattan for pure aesthetic reasons," she says. Since the ad is airing nationally, most viewers wouldn't notice the setting, Seiler believes, emphasizing that "there was no intentional New York focus, other than the city's challenging driving conditions."

Nor was the ad deliberately aired on 9/11, says Seiler. The ad began running nationally on Aug. 21 to coincide with Lexus' sponsorship of the U.S. Open. As for the 9/11 airing, "Monday Night Football" is "a good target audience." Seiler points out the spot aired all week on "The Tonight Show," "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" and "Late Show With David Letterman."

But on 9/11, the commercial's context was guaranteed to draw attention to the date, in a somewhat unfortunate proof that "engagement" exists. It also ran Monday Night on "The Colbert Report." Stephen Colbert addressed 9/11--and he even drew attention to TV ads during the program, zinging ABC in tongue-in-cheek fashion for not running spots during "The Path to 9/11." Colbert noted: "After the tragedy, the president told America, 'Go about your business.' ABC, your business is commercials. TV without ads is just what the terrorists want!"

VIDEO CLIP: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQsgSIiRKQU
Old 11-30-06, 09:00 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first read the article and though humm but after watching the commercial, it seems to me someone is trying a BIT to hard to make something out of nothing, dunno if that made sense
Old 11-30-06, 09:00 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, that's weird. When I saw that commercial, the first thought that came to my mind was 9/11. I don't know what it was that conjured those thoughts up though.

But, I see no reason for this to something that's newsworthy. I think it's time for the media to move on. Bad things happened on 9/11, but there's no reason to drag it out forever.
Old 11-30-06, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man.... some people think too much imho....
Old 11-30-06, 09:34 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Seriously, even after reading the article and watching the commercial I fail to see the correlation.
Old 11-30-06, 09:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's freaking ridiculous. It's kinda like when somebody says something that COULD MAYBE KINDA SORTA be construed as perverted if somebody with a really sick mind connected the dots, but was it really the intention of the original statement (or in this case, commercial)? I reeeeeeally doubt it.

This reminds me of when people start playing Hillary Duff songs backwards and "finding" hidden pro-**** messages. Get a life people.

I mean what would they serve to gain by having a 9/11 tie-in anyway?

I see it as them creating the add, and thinking like this:
We'll have the race in New York because these aren't race cars, they're every day driver cars that we want to market as high performance/race capable cars. Let's use one of the most dense urban environments out there that maintains a nice high-end feel (since new york is high dollar, yet very dense and urban). Plus being that it's an island, it gives us kind of a dramatic cinematic 'finish line' like you might see in a movie, instead of just some arbitrary humorous goal like a parking spot at the mall. (already been done).
Now since we're talking about two cars, both high performance and both viable choices, lets make the theme a little more artistic by ending it with a symmetrical view with two of the same, but slightly different GS cars.

Why was the 9/11 site backdrop used? I guess they wanted to show the finish line as an open and scenic area - if they just used more dense urban streets it wouldn't feel like they really 'made' it anywhere.
Old 11-30-06, 09:43 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Gimme a break - that's the worst stretch job since Joan Rivers' last facelift...

Javier
Old 11-30-06, 09:53 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they're right about the ad being aired nationally and people not even recognizing then backdrop. I personally saw the commercial a few times and never noticed the backdrop really, until now. All I saw were two GSs driving around a city.
Old 11-30-06, 10:14 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I think they're right about the ad being aired nationally and people not even recognizing then backdrop. I personally saw the commercial a few times and never noticed the backdrop really, until now. All I saw were two GSs driving around a city.
I agree I knew it was NY but never even looked at the bg too busy looking at the cars.
Old 11-30-06, 10:24 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

how do people see these kinds of correlations? they have to omuch time on them.
Old 11-30-06, 10:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Next thing you know, they're going to complain that the silver GS is on the wrong side of the road which would be hazardous if someone went out there and drove in the wrong direction. Then they sue lexus and its advertising agency.
Old 11-30-06, 10:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Old 11-30-06, 12:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys think that's bad? This commercial was banned, despite them even putting a disclaimer at the bottom because they thought kids would emulate what they saw on the screen and go wreck their dad's vette.

America is too sensitive and serious-minded these days.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRtPXPlA1E4
Old 11-30-06, 12:35 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
You guys think that's bad? This commercial was banned, despite them even putting a disclaimer at the bottom because they thought kids would emulate what they saw on the screen and go wreck their dad's vette.

i'd hit that girl driving the convertable.

jk
Old 11-30-06, 12:44 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx

It always cracks me up that people spend time banning that, but violence in movies and on TV just keeps getting worse and worse. Timmy, don't watch the kid driving the Corvette, just go watch CSI!

Quick Reply: Controversy w/GS350 "Symmetry" Commercial & 9/11