Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan 350Z - Japanese Performance Car of the Year for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 03:57 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Nissan 350Z - Japanese Performance Car of the Year for 2007

The Nissan 350Z has added another award to its bulging trophy cabinet by picking up the gong for Japanese Performance Car of the Year for 2007, announced in the December issue (on sale now). Beating off competition from rivals including the Mazda RX-8, the Mistubishi Evo IX and the Subaru Impreza, the 350Z was praised for its “stunning looks, equipment levels and value for money.”

Chris Rees, Editor of Japanese Performance Car described why the 350Z took the crown: “The Nissan 350Z sums up everything we like about Japanese performance cars. It’s a real sports car: a flexible yet rev-happy 3.5-litre V6 engine, an incredibly grippy chassis that gets better the more you extend it, a chunky steering feel and a bristling engine note."

Earlier this year, the 350Z was revised to offer more power from a higher revving engine (300PS and 7000 rpm max), and a refreshed exterior with restyled front end and new look headlamps and LED tail-lamps. The interior was also improved with repositioned switchgear, soft-feel materials, greater storage opportunities, factory-fitted navigation option, speed dependent power steering and standard Bluetooth phone integration (coupé only).
Old 11-25-06, 12:40 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not surprising at all
Old 11-25-06, 09:04 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the mags I frequent also recently gave the Z props for being best sports car.
If it's anything like my G35, I understand completely.
Old 11-25-06, 09:11 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Nice car, but it's starting to look dated...
Old 11-25-06, 11:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Nice car, but it's starting to look dated...
I am so sick of people using this word I could scream...and no one wants to explain themselves.
Please tell me, how can a car out on the market only 4 years be dated?
There isn't even a replacement yet. It's that type of thinking that causes car makers to continually push out new stuff...sometimes it doesn't even look better but it's new. Have we become so bored with life that 4 year old models are dated?
If you have no objective information to support the term dated, next time you use it say it's your opinion.

I'm sorry but IN MY OPINION, a sleek, sporty car with huge fender wells to accommodate big wheels will never look dated....until cars are flying.
Old 11-25-06, 01:04 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
I am so sick of people using this word I could scream...and no one wants to explain themselves.
Please tell me, how can a car out on the market only 4 years be dated?
There isn't even a replacement yet. It's that type of thinking that causes car makers to continually push out new stuff...sometimes it doesn't even look better but it's new. Have we become so bored with life that 4 year old models are dated?
If you have no objective information to support the term dated, next time you use it say it's your opinion.

I'm sorry but IN MY OPINION, a sleek, sporty car with huge fender wells to accommodate big wheels will never look dated....until cars are flying.
It should be OBVIOUS it's my opinion since styling
is a completely subjective thing.

My explanation is simple : When the car came out 4 years ago it
looked slick to me and I wanted to buy one. As time went along
and I've seen enough of them, the features I find unpleasant like
the fact that it looks small to me (I am a big car guy) and the bland
looking front (again it's my opinion) took its toll on me. Hence I no
longer find the design novel or interesting. Maybe I am bored or
finicky but have we grown that judgmental that everybody needs
to be or act a certain way?
Old 11-25-06, 02:54 PM
MrSilvia
Driver School Candidate

the 350Z is timeless, it will always be a great sports car
Old 11-25-06, 03:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
It should be OBVIOUS it's my opinion since styling
is a completely subjective thing.

Maybe I am bored or
finicky but have we grown that judgmental that everybody needs
to be or act a certain way?
It wasn't obvious to me that it is your opinion. Usually, people say that when commenting. That's the literrary method of writing. Usually, as soon as someone pops the cork, others with less an opinion chime with the "dated" opinion because they have nothing better to say. Few things drive me crazy...that does....but only for a moment.

Question, does every car 4 years old qualify as dated in your book?
Is your 4 year old watch dated?
Is your 4 year old ring dated?
Are your 4 year old shoes dated?
Does this apply only to cars?
I don't mean to be a pest, I just don't understand. To me, a 1985 Monte Carlo is dated. Not only bcause of it's design. The technology, the materials...it's just dated. A just can't understand a current car being dated. Help me out.
Old 11-25-06, 03:54 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

It wasn't obvious to me that it is your opinion. Usually, people say that when commenting. That's the literrary method of writing. Usually, as soon as someone pops the cork, others with less an opinion chime with the "dated" opinion because they have nothing better to say. Few things drive me crazy...that does....but only for a moment.

Question, does every car 4 years old qualify as dated in your book?
Is your 4 year old watch dated?
Is your 4 year old ring dated?
Are your 4 year old shoes dated?
Does this apply only to cars?
I don't mean to be a pest, I just don't understand. To me, a 1985 Monte Carlo is dated. Not only bcause of it's design. The technology, the materials...it's just dated. A just can't understand a current car being dated. Help me out.
OK, I just assumed it was clear that it was an opinion. Next time
I will be more careful.

Because I like new things, four years is an eternity for me. I don't want
to keep my GS any more than 4 years. I've seen too many Z's to the point
where I feel they are a bit played out. I don't think any design is timeless.
I do however concede that sometimes new designs are worse than the ones
they replace.
Old 11-25-06, 04:31 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

It doesn't matter how long has a car been on the market to be dated. The Taurus and 500 look dated even before they came out to the market. They look dated even on the show floor at the auto show.

I don't necessarily agree with marshmallo on this one, but I respect his personal opinion.

reggiek, you don't have to understand. You just have to be more open minded.
Old 11-25-06, 06:23 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

First off, I love The current Z and it's G35 "off shoot". Great cars and hats off to Nissan. I'd gladly drive one if given one. Sexy, sporty and eye catching....kinda like the SC .

As for Marshmallo and Reggie, I see valid cases for either side. But I must admit the "dated" thing, while applicable in many cases is used far too often IMO. It does suck when you see automakers completely redesign a car after only 4 or 5 years. Mid life facelifts, I'm cool with but that every presidential term new model thing is weak. It cheapens the car and its owners in so many ways. Thats why most Lux makers do at least 7 yrs. And like was stated earlier good jewelry, fur coat, watch or shoes should "last beyond 4 years. Good ISH is good ISH.
Old 11-25-06, 07:39 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

It wasn't obvious to me that it is your opinion. Usually, people say that when commenting.
While i agree with your general thought that people are too impatient nowadays to have the next thing and don't appreciate things for as long of a period of time, I'd have to say that you're on crack regarding marshmallo's post. It was obvious to everyone but you that he gave an opinion. It's like saying "sushi tastes good." While I didn't say, "IMO, sushi tastes good" it's clearly obvious that it is my opinon that sushi tastes good.

With respect to car style, I think there are some cars that age better than others and age has nothing to do with it. For instance, bland designs like the previous generation Honda Accord, which was styled to look like the one from 3 earlier generations ago, looked dated the moment it was released. The Lamborghini Countach looks horribly dated today, but it took many years to get to this point. On the otherhand, the Lamborghini Miura and the Ford GT40 still looks fresh even today.

While I still like the 350Z design, I think it can definitely use a mid-cycle freshening (and that bump in the hood alone isn't enough). In fact, I think the last generation 1990-1996 300ZX has a more timeless design than the current 350Z.

I don't think it's realistic to specify a period of time after which a design starts to look "dated" because, as marshmallo pointed out, it's dependent on your personal opinion.
Old 11-25-06, 08:21 PM
LexFather

What cars did it beat out?

Old 11-25-06, 11:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
. . . In fact, I think the last generation 1990-1996 300ZX has a more timeless design than the current 350Z.
I couldn't agree more Never a big fan of the looks of the current Z . . .
Old 11-26-06, 02:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It was dated when it showed up at the TX2003 Supra meet in Houston. It was slow around the road course, and didn't even make 300 hp on the dyno. I've never been impressed.

Quick Reply: Nissan 350Z - Japanese Performance Car of the Year for 2007