Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorTrend names Camry 2007 Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 10:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up MotorTrend names Camry 2007 Car of the Year

Motor Trend names Camry Car of the Year
Earns 2007 nod because of innovations, broad appeal, magazine says

DETROIT - The redesigned Toyota Camry, the hottest-selling car in America, is the winner of Motor Trend Magazine’s 2007 Car of the Year award.

The award, announced Wednesday, went to all Camry variations, including the hybrid, because the car is innovative yet has a broad appeal, magazine Editor-in-Chief Angus MacKenzie said in a statement.

“The Camry is the one car rival automakers all wish they could build. It offers something for nearly everyone — performance, efficiency and roominess — at a price point most Americans can afford,” MacKenzie said.

The Camry beat 26 other models that were totally new or redesigned in the year prior to Jan. 1, 2007, the magazine said.

Japanese automakers had 10 cars in the field, with six U.S. models, five from Korea, four from Germany, one from the United Kingdom and one from Sweden.

MacKenzie said the Camry won in a very strong field.

“There have never been more choices available to American car buyers. That is a fact of life in the 21st century,” he said.

Through October, Toyota sold 350,481 Camrys this year to lead all cars in U.S. sales. The No. 2 car in sales is Toyota’s Corolla at 330,995, according to Autodata Corp.

Staffers at the magazine evaluated the vehicles on their innovation in engineering, design, safety and technology; their performance and quality; and whether the vehicle delivers value to the consumer.

This is the first year the Camry has won the award.

Among competitors for Car of the Year were the Chrysler Sebring, Saturn Aura, Nissan Altima, Kia Rondo, Honda Fit, Mercedes-Benz S Class, Volvo C70 T5 and the Volkswagen Rabbit.

Last year’s winner was the Honda Civic. Last month, the magazine named the Mercedes-Benz GL450 its sport utility vehicle of the year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15833397/
Old 11-21-06, 10:37 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

YAY!!! for the Camry!
Old 11-21-06, 11:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. I am stunned, as I thought they would have reserved for "Import of the year" category or something. But the Camrys are mostly built in the U.S. anyways.

Congratulations!!! I really think this time around, they made the Camry--already the segment leader, make that all-around Car leader, even better.
Old 11-22-06, 12:42 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No more import car of the year for Motor Trend. Anyway, I'd like to see all the other contenders before I make a judgment :P
Old 11-22-06, 01:26 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

wow no MT bashing...

but anyways....good job camry...that is ONE EXCELLENT CAR
Old 11-22-06, 05:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I would have liked to see the LS460 take the honors.

The article mentions the Corolla being the #2 selling car in America.
This is amazing when you realize the Corolla's in it's last year in it's current
form and is like the oldest model in it's class.
Old 11-22-06, 08:57 AM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by knihc2008
No more import car of the year for Motor Trend. Anyway, I'd like to see all the other contenders before I make a judgment :P

Chevrolet Aveo, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Caliber, Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Entourage, Infiniti G35, Jaguar XK, Jeep Compass, Kia Optima, Kia Rondo, Kia Sedona, Lexus ES 350, Lexus LS 460, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Versa, Porsche Cayman, Saturn Aura, Saturn Sky Redline, Suzuki SX4, Toyota Camry, Toyota Yaris, Volvo C70 T5, Volkswagen EOS, and Volkswagen Rabbit

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...7_toyota_camry
Old 11-22-06, 09:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well deserved I like the new camry versus the old bland one....
Old 11-22-06, 09:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I've started to get a bad taste in my mouth about the new Camry - just far too many reports of quality and design issues.

No, it's not a POS. But it's starting to look like it's not compellingly better quality than the competition, either. I miss the days when I could look at a Toyota badge and just know/assume even though I was paying more than I would for a competing product, that I was buying provenly superior reliability with it.

With Toyota slipping these days in some areas I look skeptically toward the Camry as a car that's probably not as fun to drive as some of the competition, costs more to buy, and may or may not be more reliable in the long run...
Old 11-22-06, 09:29 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ic144
Chevrolet Aveo, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Caliber, Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Entourage, Infiniti G35, Jaguar XK, Jeep Compass, Kia Optima, Kia Rondo, Kia Sedona, Lexus ES 350, Lexus LS 460, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Versa, Porsche Cayman, Saturn Aura, Saturn Sky Redline, Suzuki SX4, Toyota Camry, Toyota Yaris, Volvo C70 T5, Volkswagen EOS, and Volkswagen Rabbit
Huh. I'd've picked the Cayman because it outperforms the Camry in every possible category but interior room and price. Evidently, Toyota's "contributions" to MT's holiday slush fund were more convincing than Porsche's.
Old 11-22-06, 09:34 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Huh. I'd've picked the Cayman because it outperforms the Camry in every possible category but interior room and price. Evidently, Toyota's "contributions" to MT's holiday slush fund were more convincing than Porsche's.

Motor Trend's COTY is always based on the merits of innovation and impact on the market.

If a car sets a new standard in a major category and/or brings new useful ideas/features/technologies to its CLASS of vehicle, then that tends to give it high marks.

By them naming the Camry COTY they're probably saying they think it has raised the bar by a very significant amount in a very significant class. I'm not sure I agree with them completely but I don't necessarily disagree with them either...
Old 11-22-06, 09:40 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

The Camry is quite an attractive car. I wouldn't mind owning one
Old 11-22-06, 09:45 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
By them naming the Camry COTY they're probably saying they think it has raised the bar by a very significant amount in a very significant class. I'm not sure I agree with them completely but I don't necessarily disagree with them either...
I guess that I would need to research the Camry in more depth, but other than new sheetmetal and the big V6, I'm not sure what's so new or special about the car. My opinion, is that it's really odd-looking (in a not-so-good way), and probably still handles like a bowl of half-melted jello. I can't think of a more uninteresting driving experience.
Old 11-22-06, 09:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

It's good that they pick the Camry & that it got some recognition, but they have picked some not so special cars before, so I don't think it's a big deal either, same for those other awards & top 10 lists from other car magazines, they make their picks based on their own criteria & preferences (& bias) only, so what's the best for them may not be the best for everyone at all.
Old 11-22-06, 09:52 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Vey well deserved award. Good job again Toyota, but then, no surprise. The other day I had to park my 06 Ford Fusion in between two new Camrys at the HK Receiver warranty servicing location. For some reason I just hated to park next to such fine machinery in my garbage ,"import fighter". At least it started up and left without a jump-this time.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-22-06 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend names Camry 2007 Car of the Year