Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MMarshall Comparison: 2007 Ford Expedition EL - 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-06, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MMarshall Comparison: 2007 Ford Expedition EL - 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali

ttp://www.gmc.com/denali/family.jsp

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...iew+2007+tahoe

IN a NUTSHELL: Tweedledee and Tweedledum....with some exceptions.

I received a request to compare my previously reviewed Ford Expedition EL to the new GMC Denali with the 6.2L V8 and 6-speed automatic transmission. In some ways, of course, it is not a direct comparison...the GMC nameplate, especially the Cadillac Escalade-like Denali version, is a somewhat more up-market vehicle than the Expedition EL, has a larger engine with more HP and torque, and of course, is much more established in the marketplace ( along with its corporate brothers Suburban, Yukon XL, and long-wheelbase Escalade ESV ) than the newcomer Expedition EL (though the regular-length Expedition and Navigator, of course, have been around for years fighting their regular-wheelbase GM competition like the Tahoe, Yukon, Denali, and Escalade ).
Since I have already covered the regular-wheelbase 2007 Tahoe and the 2007 Expedition EL at length ( I will post both for comparison ), and since this specific
request was for long-wheelbase Denali-Expedition EL comparison, I will not write up a whole separate long-wheelbase Denali review but, after a through inspection and test-drive of the long-wheelbase Denali, write a specific magazine-like comparison between the two ( although, of course, unlike auto mags, and being brand-new vehicles, I don't push them to their limits...for that, you will have to consult the magazines ). A long-wheelbase Lincoln Navigator ( at last ), to compete with the long-wheelbase Escalade, is in the works but is not yet available at dealerships.

In some ways, however, the Expedition EL IS comparable to its more up-market GM nameplates. As I mentioned in its review several times, it has an extremely plush, well-crafted interior, especially for a Ford nameplate, a LOT of equipment, ( especially in the reviewed Limited 4X4 trim line ), and, of course, a Lincoln-like sticker price of 52K as well. The GMC / Chevy / Cadillac full-size SUV line, like the Ford / Lincoln, is also all-new this year, and, like the Ford, with a much-reworked interior. The new Denali interior is worlds ahead of the old one in fit-and-finish and quality of materials....with one exception ( we'll get to that ). It is also far batter, overall, ( not surprisingly ) than the smaller and cheaper Chevy Tahoe, which I reviewed last April. The 2007 Tahoe was really improved only on the dash...the Denali throughout the entire cabin.

Well, so much for the history and marketing report of their corporate cousins: You wanted a direct comparison between two specific vehicles, so here it is:

Model Compared: 2007 Ford Expedition Limited EL 4X4 ( see attached review )

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...007+expedition

Model Compared: 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4X4 ( 4WD/AWD is standard )

Base Price: $51,085

Major options: Sunroof $995

List Price: $52,980

Drivetrain: 6.2L VORTEC SFI V8, 380 HP, 417 ft.-lbs. of torque
Heavy-Duty 6-speed automatic transmission with tow/haul mode and column-mounted manual-shift feature
Full-time AWD / 4WD system with lockable differential.

Exterior Color: Silver Birch Metallic
Interior color: Ebony Leather with Wood Trim

First off, these two vehicles are very closely matched in size, overall design, price ( each was within a few hundred dollars of the other ), and type and amount of equipment offered. They are directed pretty much at the same section of the auto-buying marketplace.....those who want at or near the maximum in people-moving, trailer-towing, cargo space, interior plushness, and moderate off-road ability, and are willing to accept a vehicle with a lot of weight and bulk that will, admittedly, have less-than-sports-car agility and handling. If that is your forte, the these two vehicles have your name written all over them.

Outside, both vehicles, of course, are massive, and tower above the heads of even six-footers ( maybe one reason why so many NBA guys buy them ). The Denali is slightly more impressive on the outside, with more substantial-feeling sheet metal, especially in the hood. The Denali also wins in the quality of exterior hardware and paint job, and IMO the paint colors GMC offers are a little nicer than the ones Ford does. Both vehicles have nice built-in runnig boards for short people, as would be expected in SUV's of this price.
Both vehicles, in the subbornly Detroit tradition, have Cracker-Jack-flimsy outside mirror housings ( Why won't Detroit address this problem like they have recent interiors ?). Both have power-operated rear liftgates with the ubiquitous wiper-washers and defrosters.
Both have large wheels with relatively soft-riding 65-70 series tires ( one reason for the relatively civil ride in both vehicles ). The Expedition easily wins in wheel opulence with its massive, optional 20" chrome-plated wheels. Overhead, the Denali wins in opulence with its chrome-finished roof racks to the Expedition's black ones.

Open the hood and the Denali wins, hands-down, not just in the much larger 6.2L V8 it offers to the Expedition's 5.4 L, but in better engine access than with the Expedition, primarily due to the much smaller plastic engine cover...the denali's only covers the very top of the engine, and all the components under it are readily acccessable. The hood itself is much more solid-feeling in the Denali than the Ford's much lighter-feeling aluminum, and closes with a more solid thud.

Step inside both vehicles and it's almost like being in the lobby of a posh hotel. Room, features, comfort, plushness, almost anything you could ask for. Close the doors and the Expedition wins, hands-down.....the weight and THUNK upon closing are like shutting the door of a Moseler safe....( un-typical of Ford products, I might add ). Both vehicles have power-adjustable foot pedals, soft, comfortable leather multi-power-adjustable seats / Captain's chairs, chrome-ringed instruments with a complete analog gauge package, individual A/C climate control systems, rear-seat entertainment systems, a power sunroof, cupholders galore ( the Denali's are covered by wood-trimmed flip-doors ), and PLENTY of stretch-out space, with even a third-row sweat this marginally usable for small-to-medium side adults ( most 3rd row seats, of course, are fit only for children ). Both vehicles have a nice stereo, good climate control systems, safety features galore. ( The Ford wins here with the Volvo-derived Roll stability control that takes regular stability control one step further by checking body roll as well as understeer / oversteer ). However, the quality of the steering feel seems to be affected by it......see the details in the attached Expedition review ). Inside, the Ford also wins in the general quality of the hardware, the plushness of the trim ( though the Denali is close ), and the design of the A/C vents, which in the Ford are durable-feeling circular chrome-plated spin-rings. The Denali has conventional rectangular vents with a cheap-feeling center tab attached to even cheaper-feeling plastic slats that feel like they are going to break every time you adjust them.
Both vehicles, curiously, despite their $50,000-plus prices, lack a power-tilt steering wheel feature or any kind of telecoping mechanism at all.....interesting when you consider that Hyundai and Kia are offering this feature on vehicles that cost half of what these do. But trust me.....the interiors of both vehicles don't lack much more than this. If you want comfort in a truck-based vehicles.....here's your wheels. And, of course, the Cadillac Escalade and the upcoming Lincoln long-wheelbase Navigator will outdo even these two in the interior plushness department....they will be the King and Queen of Bling.

Both vehicles have power folding rear seats for expanding cargo room, though the 3rd seats are manual. Both, as mentioned previously, have power liftgates. Both have little storage compartments built into the rear compartment walls ( the Ford's, in my opinion, are better-designed, with higher-quality snaps ). Both have, thanks to their long wheelbase, plenty of room behind the 3rd seat even with all of the seats up.

OK...start them up. Both, not surprisingly, have smooth, quiet, velvety V8's that idle so smooth it's almost eerie ( plenty of room and budget for sound insulation in these large, expensive vehicles ). The Denali, again not surprisingly, out-pulls the Ford in the power department, thanks to its similiar weight with almost a full liter more engine diaplacement. Both vehicles have heavy-duty 6-speed automatics that are smooth and seamless in the shifting department, but the Ford wins hands-down with a nice, wood-and-chrome shifter on the center console that falls readily to hand, despite not having a manual-shift program like the Denali. The Denali's shifter juts out from the steering column awkwardly, has an awkward tow-haul mode button that you push in at the tip, and an equally awkward flip-up-and-down button on the protruding lever about halfway out. In my opinion, It's back to the drawing board for this design.....it definitely needs work.

On the road, lousy shifter aside, the Denali is noticeably easier to drive than the Expedition. ( and BOTH are WAY better to drive than the awful Ford Excursion.....see my detailed comments on this in the Expedition review ). The shifter, of course, is not that big an issue if you drive in full-automatic mode most of the time, as the majority of people who buy these vehicles do. And the Denali is much better than the Expedition in the power-steering department, with light, non-linear boost at input and effort that increaes pleasantly as you crank in more steering angle. The wheel does not have the Expedition's gummy, sticky, rubbery feeling, and self-centers more readily. Body roll, despite the lack of the Ford's Roll-Stability Control, is not bad at all for a vehicle of this height, size, and weight, but it MUST be emphasized that these vehicles are NOT Miatas and they CANNOT be thrown around curves like a Miata. You obviously have to drive them with common sense.

You also have to brake these vehicles with common sense, and give yourself plenty of room to halt.....they are not going to stop like a Porsche 911. Here, though, again, the Denali has a notable edge on the Expedition. The Denali's power brakes have lost much of the awful sponginess and lack of response that characterized the brakes on full-sized GM truck-derived vehicles for years. GM has been advertising brake improvements on these vehicles this year, but I didn't really notice it on the new Tahoe I reviewed last April ( I included the Tahoe review above for comparison ). Just why the Denali's brakes had noticiably less sponginess and better response than those on the similiar but smaller, lighter, and cheaper Tahoe, I can't explain...but they did. By contrast, the Expedition's brakes are marginally acceptable, but need work....they have more sponginess and are noticeably less effective than the Denali's.

Both vehicles ride fairly comfortably over both small and large bumps, helped no doubt by the long wheelbases, heavy weight, comfort-oriented ( by truck standards ) suspensions, and high-profile tires. ( I wish more regular cars still used 65 and 70-series tires like these vehicles do.....they are now a rarity even on luxury cars ).
Noise level, as expected in vehicles of this price and plenty of room for insulation to be packed in, is quite low in both vehicles. Both are well-suited for all-day Interstate cruising, although for curvy roads or non-Interstate driving, I'd rather have the Denali for its better steering and brakes.

OVERALL PREFERENCE: For my money, ( and about the same list price ) the Yukon XL Denali edges out the Expedition EL Limited......but not by a huge amount. The Denali out-muscles the Expedition under the hood, steers and handles with a little more precision, has a better-designed power steering pump, noticebly better brakes, slightly better exterior hardware, sheet metal, and paint, and better underhood engine access. The Expedition EL, on the other hand, has an even more plush and stunning interior, somewhat better interior hardware than the Denali, bank-vault-solid doors, a better shifter, better dash A/C vents. and fancier upholstry.
It's hard to really go wrong, though, with either vehicle if you are willing to pay the inevitable high gas bills, give yourself plenty of space weaving in and out of traffic, give yourself even more space to stop, take it easy around sharp curves, and, of course, not be able to park one of these dinosaurs just anywhere ( The rear-bumper back-up sensors help some ). Whichever one you choose, my personal opinion is that the interior of both vehicles looks much better in the light beige than in the dark gray / black.
Both vehicles now carry a decent 5/60 drivetrain warranty ( important with complex AWD / 4WD units ) and 3/36 bumper-to-bumper, Ford and GM having FINALLY brought their warranty coverage into the real world.....something they both should have done years ago and didn't.

Happy Shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-10-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 01:41 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard to believe these trucks are on the wrong side of $50K.

I bet these trucks use a lot of PU-truck R&D.
Old 11-11-06, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
hard to believe these trucks are on the wrong side of $50K.

I bet these trucks use a lot of PU-truck R&D.
There are versions of these vehicles, as I mentioned, that run even more than the 52-53K that these two did. The Cadillac long-wheelbase Escalade, essentially an even more-decked-out Denali, runs 60-70K, and the long-wheelbase Lincoln Navigator about to debut, though Lincoln, to my knowledge, has not officially announced pricing yet, should sell in the same price range.
If you want the kind of bling and panache that the top-level versions of these big truck-based SUV's give, you have to pay for it.....both in the showroom and at the gas pump. That's one of several reasons why they sell so readily to professional athletes and musicians...they have the kind of money these vehicles demand, and the big NFL and NBA guys need the stretch-out-room inside.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-06 at 02:51 PM.