Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Lexus LS460 (still lacking spice??)

Old 10-19-06, 08:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Lexus LS460 (still lacking spice??)

All the technology a flagship needs, but it still lacks a little spice

What Works:
Ultraquiet cabin, sensible switches and controls, seamless powertrain, 19 speakers of Mark Levinson sound.

What Needs Work:
Floaty suspension, abrupt brake feel, too much finesse, not enough spice in the styling.

Bottom Line:
The standard-wheelbase LS 460 earned our respect, even admiration, but it couldn't win our love.

The flagship of the fleet should be fashioned from an uncommon and uncompromised blend of technology and opulence. It should sport elements that distinguish it from the lesser vessels of the line, instill in its occupants an aura of invincibility and convey to the driver a lofty level of dynamic excellence, tempered but not tamed by a lush layer of luxury.

Does the 2007 Lexus LS 460, flagship of Toyota's youthful premium franchise, live up to these criteria? Yes. Is the LS 460 the equal of such grandees of the high-end game as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and BMW 7 Series? After a week in this standard-wheelbase example, our answer is, "Not yet."

A two-tiered model line
For the first time, the LS is offered in two versions. The standard LS 460 ($61,000) is just over a half-inch longer overall than the outgoing LS 430, but its wheelbase is 1.8 inches longer and both tracks are 1.5 inches wider. The extended-wheelbase LS 460L ($71,000) adds 4.7 inches in length over the LS 460 with an equal increase in wheelbase. To maintain styling equilibrium between the two new models, the front and rear overhang dimensions are identical.

The LS 460's 198-inch overall length falls halfway between the Mercedes-Benz E-Class' 191 inches and the S-Class' 205 inches. At 4244 pounds, the Lexus is no lightweight, but it does beat the aluminum-rich Audi A8 by about 44 pounds. The S550 and 745i each weigh about 220 pounds more.

Our Mercury Metallic tester was well optioned, which kicked up the sticker to more than $72,000, a hefty sum that could have been lowered by $5,645 through elimination of the navigation system and Mark Levinson Reference Surround Audio system. However, the car did not include several notable options, including the Advanced Parking Guidance System — which basically parks the car for you — or Lexus' new Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, which senses a possible front collision and prepares the car accordingly. Nor did it have the air suspension, which is only available on the LS 460L.

First in the race to 8x8
Both LS models share a single drivetrain: a new 4.6-liter V8 with all the electronic gizmos imaginable, and it sends power to the rear wheels through a world-first eight-speed automatic transmission.

It's the world's first combination of eight-cylinder engine and eight-speed transmission, and it was worth the wait. Aided by such engine-uity as the world's first electrically controlled valve timing system, dual injection and an electronically controlled induction system, the 460's sophisticated engine is as smooth as Swiss chocolate melting in the sun. Its 380 horsepower is a 102-hp bump over the previous 4.3-liter V8's output, and the 367 pound-feet of torque is a 55 lb-ft increase in twist.

Equally state-of-the-art is the transmission. A new hydraulic control system utilizes four disc clutches for ultrasmooth gear transitions, and a torque converter with variable control helps low- and midrange torque and delivers better fuel economy. The driver can choose to shift manually or drop it into "S" mode, which defaults to gear choices from 4th through 7th. Every mode is effortless to initiate, and it all works smoothly enough, but we would have preferred a little spark in performance when we were manually shifting through the gears. At the test track we tried both automatic and manual gearbox modes, but found the performance to be equivalent with either shift input.

Our test car accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds, an admirable figure but slower than the 5.4 seconds claimed by the factory. We couldn't match the claimed quarter-mile time of 13.8 seconds either — 14.2 seconds was our best run.

Far more important was the V8's utter lack of obvious effort, even when it was recording performance numbers on par with the larger V8 of the Mercedes-Benz. So seamlessly and effortlessly is the power delivered, however, that putting the pedal down is about as thrilling as watching the Golf Channel. On the upside, the power boost is accompanied by class-leading fuel mileage ratings of 19 city/27 highway. We recorded a best of 25 mpg out of three tanks of fuel.

Floaty, but still quick and controlled
To help reduce unsprung weight, aluminum was used extensively throughout the suspension. Up front is a new upper and lower wishbone setup with coil-over monotube shocks and a hollow stabilizer bar, while out back the multilink suspension carried over from the previous LS has had its mass reduced and settings firmed up for better ride and handling. Coil-overs and a stabilizer bar are also part of the package.

Our biggest beef with the LS 460 is that the suspension is tuned too softly and doesn't sufficiently stifle the excessive nose dive during braking and body lean through hard corners. Plus, it doesn't do particularly well damping the concrete freeway jiggle that occurs over expansion joints. The competition seems to have figured out how to combine crisp body control with a supple ride.

After a flurry of complaints about the too-intrusive vehicle stability system in some of its vehicles, Lexus responded by fitting the LS 460 with a switch that allows the system to be completely turned off. This allowed us to really explore the handling limits of this big sedan, and we left the test track impressed. Its 0.82g skid pad and 63-mph slalom number are average at best, but it's well-balanced for a car this size. It's big and it rolls a lot, but it sticks pretty well and the fundamentals required to control it at the limit are intuitive.

The other dynamic element that troubled us was the LS 460's brakes. In stop-and-go traffic, the electronically controlled four-wheel discs are grabby and abrupt and inserted a slight hiccup into an otherwise suave progression down the road. We didn't dislike them nearly as much during our tests, however, when they exhibited negligible fade and short stopping distances. From 60 mph the Lexus stops in just 128 feet, which is almost as short as the Mercedes S550.

A more sophisticated system is available with the optional Touring Package, which includes larger spiral-fin ventilated rotors, high-friction brake pads, four-piston aluminum calipers in front and two-piston aluminum calipers in the rear. We're eager to experience those bigger binders.

Luxury condo living, on wheels
If there's a faultless aspect of the LS 460, it's the interior. In an ergonomic sense, the cockpit's layout is perfection. There's no great learning curve required to operate the climate controls, audio system and other features, and the Optitron electroluminescent gauges are especially handsome in design and effective visual messengers. The front seats are so fully adjustable — 16 ways — that any humanoid species would have no trouble dialing in a comfortable position, and those in the rear needn't suffer either.

Ordering up the Comfort Package buys climate-controlled front seats, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel and a power rear window sunshade, while the Comfort Plus Package adds power reclining rear seats and headrests, climate-controlled front and rear seats and rear seat-mounted side airbags. This $3,620 option brought our test car's airbag total up to 10, two more than Lexus' class-leading eight standard bags. (With the Executive Class Seating Package in the 460L, the number of airbags is 11.) The front-passenger and knee bags are dual-stage, and the passenger's bag also is twin-chambered to reduce facial/cranial contact with the expanding bag.

The interior is just as brilliant in an aesthetic sense. Grain-matched wood trim — available in medium brown walnut, dark gray bird's eye maple and dark brown ash — is complemented by standard perforated leather upholstery, offered in alabaster white, cashmere or light gray. From the exquisite stitching in the leather to the matching of the wood grain, the fit and finish is without peer. For example, the wood trim on the steering wheel is provided by Tendo, a high-end furniture studio.

We're less taken, however, with the sedan's overall exterior design, which seems so calculatedly derivative of other recent Lexus designs that its singular dynamic qualities seem subjugated by the family resemblance. There's too much BMW 7 Series in the shape as well.

It's all in the driving, or is it?
To quote the chief designer of the Lexus LS 460, Yo Hiruta: "The ratio of design cost to total car cost is higher for Lexus than for other cars."

You could have fooled us. Perhaps we're being too harsh, but assessing the new Lexus LS 460 in light of Mr. Hiruta's statement does lend some clarity to our ambivalence about this fourth generation of Lexus' flagship sedan. It's a car we deeply respect and admire, but it's not one that has swept us off our feet. While we value its comfort, impeccable build quality and expected reliability, what we love most about cars is driving them, and the LS 460 falls just short of delivering the snappy, precise control of the road we covet most. If we were somehow penalized to give up our driver license, we can think of few other cars in which we'd rather be the passenger.

Still, despite some areas we feel could use some improvement — a too-soft suspension, grabby brakes, uninspired styling — there is no disputing the LS 460's rightful place at the head of the Lexus fleet.

Old 10-19-06, 09:01 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Still, despite some areas we feel could use some improvement — a too-soft suspension, grabby brakes, uninspired styling — there is no disputing the LS 460's rightful place at the head of the Lexus fleet."

Uninspired styling.......yeah. I generally find edmunds reviews to be kinda decent but that remark was a joke. I know styling is obviously subjective (I'm a Bangle fan ) but really. We all know Lexus has been ultra conservative in the past with their styling but enough already. This LS is definitely evokes emotion....at least for me.
Old 10-19-06, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Wow, I think that's a very 'honest' review.

On the floaty suspension, I read in another view that the optional air suspension is very impressive making the car handle a lot flatter, so will be interested to see more reviews of that.

I disagree with Edmunds on the looks - while it's still pretty conservative, I think it might be the best looking Lexus ever.
Old 10-19-06, 09:21 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

In october's issue of Motor Trend, they tested an LS460L with air suspension, and they had very little if anything to complain about suspension or handling. Edmunds should really get their hands on a LWB model....
Old 10-19-06, 09:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

What Needs Work:
Floaty suspension, abrupt brake feel, too much finesse, not enough spice in the styling.

I don't get it???WTH does that mean???
Old 10-19-06, 09:47 PM
LexFather

As I have gotten older, reviews are so predictable now its pathetic. I already know the Lexus is going to be not as exciting or floaty. The damn car could have coils but b/c its a Lexus it will be floaty.

My second point is, who the flying sex is going to track or even drive this LS or even the S or 7 or A8 aggressively? WHO? These cars are STATEMENT vehicles and driven leisurely 99.9% of the time.

I have NO IDEA why reviewers complain about a car's lack of sport when THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THE CAR.

Honest review? Yes. The same ole same ole? Yes.

Driving around town, who can really find anything wrong with the 7/S/LS? Its just a matter of preference.

Old 10-19-06, 11:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I get it now. The LS460 lacks SUV fender flares (S550), alien headlights and body lines (750i), stops too fast, and is smoother rather than harder.

Makes perfect sense now, the LS really is inferior to the other two. What were we all thinking?

Ok in all seriousness, I think this was a decent review but I also feel that their conclusions were a bit too hasty. They swoon over the interior, engine, transmission, the car posts respectable performance numbers, it's lighter than the aluminum A8, has a sound system that they fall in love with, and yet...because it doesn't handle like a 3 series and doesn't throw up any difinitive design cues (but is still very, very handsome) it isn't as good as the other two cars? I really don't think so people. I feel like they've gone a little over the top. In fact if you were to read this review from the second paragraph down to just before the last, you'd think they were about to name it car of the year. They need to respect the LS for what it is, not always review and bash it for what it isn't. This is THE FINEST LUXURY CAR in the world. If you want a sporty luxury car, look elsewhere. It just bothers me that these people go into every review with a frikkin 3 Series as the standard for comparison in handling and roadfeel, when that isn't even what the engineers set out for in the first place.
Old 10-19-06, 11:29 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I think the review was fair. It noted both the highs and the lows. They compared many things with the 7 & S, but there is one really important thing they missed in the review was the PRICE COMPARISON. If that was taken into consideration, I think the LS would get more votes.
Old 10-19-06, 11:51 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

i agree with the review but the targeted consumer buying this car will appreciate the softness of the suspension instead of a harsh sporty feel. as for looks i also agree its conservative and would be no 3 on my list of the 4 lux sedan (1. mb s-class 2. bmw 7 3. lexus ls 4. audi s or a 8)
Old 10-20-06, 12:15 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't comment on the driving dynamics of the new LS since I never drove one, but styling wise I agree and disagree with them. I think the LS is the best looking Lexus to date and I like the style, but I also agree that for me at least it doesn't have a big "WOW" factor. It is a nice looking car but doesn't get me passionate or too excited about the looks. I think I will change my mind once people start modding it though. Just like how the LS430 is kind of bland in stock for my is a totally eye catching car when modded. That is just my view though.
Old 10-20-06, 01:52 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I saw the Lexus LS460 6 months ago at the Toronto Auto Show. Overall I was not all that impressed. I actually at the time preferred and still do prefer the LS430.

Things that I did not like:
1. Ok styling, I really hate those two lines that run down the hood of the car.
2. No idrive, should be there for those who want it. I would like to a see controller there instead of having to use the touch screen (maybe it can have both) It should at be an option at least, but no standard.
3. Interior was pretty nice looking, I could not sit inside but I could see the inside with the doors open.

Overall I didn't like to much. The same can be said for the rest of the Lexus car lineup. Although, I do like the exterior of the GS
Old 10-20-06, 06:00 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't drove the LS but most reviews seem to actually like the new LS handling, but then again this Edmunds I think that most buyers of the LS 460 will not care about the handling.

Uninspired styling? I think it looks great especially when I saw it in person.
Old 10-20-06, 06:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Uninspired styling.......yeah. I generally find edmunds reviews to be kinda decent but that remark was a joke.
I'm actually with them on that comment. It does look pretty boring. Uninteresting. And with the way the sheet metal flows, the car looks very "saggy/droopy", for lack of a better term. It's too bad, considering how nice a job Toyota did with the current IS, GS, and ES.
Old 10-20-06, 06:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

we all know what happened when BMW tried to "spice" styling same with Benz's new S, they should be glad, and they keep talking about the S, too bad that costs $25k more for base vs base

honestly why do they subject this car to tests for sport sedans, thats not its purpose, go buy a 3 or an 5, you dont buy a 7 and subject it to the same tests and say complain it nose dives and isnt fun in the corner its a freaking 7 class
Old 10-20-06, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As I have gotten older, reviews are so predictable now its pathetic. I already know the Lexus is going to be not as exciting or floaty. The damn car could have coils but b/c its a Lexus it will be floaty.

My second point is, who the flying sex is going to track or even drive this LS or even the S or 7 or A8 aggressively? WHO? These cars are STATEMENT vehicles and driven leisurely 99.9% of the time.

I have NO IDEA why reviewers complain about a car's lack of sport when THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THE CAR.

Honest review? Yes. The same ole same ole? Yes.

Driving around town, who can really find anything wrong with the 7/S/LS? Its just a matter of preference.
Respectfully I think you might be missing something on the handling. It's not about driving a big car like this like Mario Andretti, but 'float' and body roll are UNCOMFORTABLE for passengers wanting a smooth ride. If a car leans in corners, even going slow, then the passengers get pushed to one side or another. If the car floats, the occupants might get car sick at worst, or might have a harder time reading the newspaper or whatever.

That's the reason active suspensions are so important at the high end, so that even driving normally the car actively negates dips, bumps, and cornering forces which springs/shocks, or even the LS's new coilovers CANNOT achieve. The air suspension is hopefully a big step in this direction, like MB's airmatic and ABC (active body control).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Lexus LS460 (still lacking spice??)