Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Lexus LS460 (still lacking spice??)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 08:11 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yet it only makes 2 less hp than the 1 liter bigger S550.... That is good engineering.
to achieve that power, it gets to rev HIGH and that is not the kind of engines used in true luxury cars.
Old 10-24-06, 05:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
to achieve that power, it gets to rev HIGH and that is not the kind of engines used in true luxury cars.
Not really, its has pretty good low end torque. If anyone has dyno charts for LS460 vs S550, please post them.
Old 10-24-06, 06:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the other motors discussed in this thread like the Ferrari and 3.6L BMW M motor... yes that's true about those... but for the S550, I'll tend to bet the power curve doesn't look too much different than the LS460, if not for possibly even a bit more low RPM power.

It's kinda crude but the easiest indicator of potential power curve of a naturally aspirated motor, ignorning everything else like valvetrain and cam specs, is to divide the displacement by the number of cylinders. The lower that number is, the more like it is to be a motor that can and must be revved to make anything close to the power numbers it makes at peak.
Old 10-24-06, 07:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Weighs less because of good engineering too. Lighter transmission, engine, etc.
Yeah, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Mercedes is 7" longer in overall length, would it? Is that good engineering too?

Maybe you can provide the specs on engine + transmission weight for the two cars? You're inferring that you know what those are, and I'm curious. Thanks.
Old 10-24-06, 01:09 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

S550 4,465 lbs (23.8gallon fuel capacity)
LS460L 4,332 (22.2gallon)

once factoring the additon of ML audio and Nav the LS460L will weigh the same amt
Old 10-24-06, 01:24 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Mr Jones, I'd like to know what the engine and transmission weigh on the LS and the S550. Can you forward those on to me? Seriously, I'm interested in knowing what they are.

Thank you
Old 10-24-06, 03:49 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Such data isn't made public.
Old 10-24-06, 03:54 PM
LexFather

Looks like the Jag XJ will clearly be lightest in class, no doubt due to its all aluminum construction.

Old 10-24-06, 03:59 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Weighs less because of good engineering too. Lighter transmission, engine, etc.
Such data isn't made public.
then how do you they are lighter?
Old 10-24-06, 04:19 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

then how do you they are lighter?
...I wasn't being serious

But the 8spd is all new compared to the much older MB 7spd unit.

The 4.6L is smaller than MB's 5.5L, and "simple slim" production methods save considerable weight compared to traditional engine block casting methods.
Old 10-24-06, 04:20 PM
LexFather

I do know in readint the new 8 speed actually has less parts than the new 6 speed and Lexus has historically kept engine weight about even to the previous engine.

Old 10-24-06, 04:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I wasn't being serious

But the 8spd is all new compared to the much older MB 7spd unit.

The 4.6L is smaller than MB's 5.5L, and "simple slim" production methods save considerable weight compared to traditional engine block casting methods.
You weren't being serious? You sure sounded serious - or did I miss some obvious humor or 'winky' smiley face in those posts? You've been spouting off quite a few 'facts' today that you seem to avoid backing up when people ask for data. And not just in this thread.

I'm also interested to know how the "simple slim" ideology that Toyota has been pushing relates to block casting methodologies in the least? The block casting process itself hasn't been changed to my knowledge other than the fact that some of the blocks have moved to aluminum... that has nothing to do with simple slim and everything to do with normal design progression, with ANY brand - 'simple slim' or not.
Old 10-24-06, 05:04 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
You weren't being serious? You sure sounded serious - or did I miss some obvious humor or 'winky' smiley face in those posts? You've been spouting off quite a few 'facts' today that you seem to avoid backing up when people ask for data. And not just in this thread.

I'm also interested to know how the "simple slim" ideology that Toyota has been pushing relates to block casting methodologies in the least? The block casting process itself hasn't been changed to my knowledge other than the fact that some of the blocks have moved to aluminum... that has nothing to do with simple slim and everything to do with normal design progression, with ANY brand - 'simple slim' or not.
Mr. Jones doesn't back up what he says, he simply calls you ignorant if you disagree with him. As in the B&O vs ML audio system debate that was pretty one sided.
Old 10-24-06, 05:35 PM
LexFather

Alright fellas, lets not beat up Mr. Jones.....
I will ask Mr. Jones to post a reference or two when a claim is made that someone may refute....

Let us all recognize the difference between opinions and facts

Old 10-24-06, 05:39 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Mr Jones, busted...

Now you guys know why I can be such a pain in the a$$ with respect to things people and say on the internet. There's so much comment based not on personal knowledge or experience, but on "I heard it on the internet, so it must be true". That's the sort of thing that can lead to a lot of brand snobbery.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Lexus LS460 (still lacking spice??)