Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Audi R8 Bang & Olufsen Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 01:40 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the Bang and Olufsen website I think they make some pretty impressive sound systems and I personally feel that they are the equal of HK and ML.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/hom...ection=systems
check their stuff out for yourself.

Another site for checking out the B&O system in the A8: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/audi/

Last edited by mavericck; 10-16-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-16-06, 02:41 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mavericck
Kinda like Mark Levinson systems....
Clean the wax out of your ears and try again.
Old 10-16-06, 03:10 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

In any case, I'm pretty impressed. I can't think of any other pure sports car with a comparable stock audio system. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Old 10-16-06, 03:25 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lubs
Clean the wax out of your ears and try again.
I own an LS430 and have listened tot he ML system countless times....its a good system, just not better than the B&O system I listened to.
Old 10-16-06, 04:09 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T0ked
As for B&O, their reputation is from design more than sound. It is general knowledge in the audiophile circle that function follows form at B&O. Their home audio stuff is quite amazing to look at, if just mediocre to hear.
B&O has name recognition like Bose, but if Audi wanted something on par w/ML they would have chosen Krell.

B&O isn't even comparable to ML audio.
Old 10-16-06, 04:41 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
B&O has name recognition like Bose, but if Audi wanted something on par w/ML they would have chosen Krell.

B&O isn't even comparable to ML audio.
and you have what info to backup your claims? any reviews? ratings? comparisons? I have heard both in person and unless I see a reputable article/comparison stating otherwise and I am going to say the exact opposite.
Old 10-17-06, 08:52 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

I own an LS430 and have listened tot he ML system countless times....its a good system, just not better than the B&O system I listened to.
Fair enough, but that's B&O. I don't think Bose compares to ML personally. The highs are piercing and the lows seem like fastpaced thudding. I don't have the experience you do with ML, I have a Nak in the GS. However in my experiences, I loved the sound of the ML. It seemed superior to the Nak. And the Nak sounds superior to just about any Bose stereo I've heard. Those found in S500s included.
Old 10-17-06, 11:19 AM
gekisai29
Driver

Different strokes for different folks. I've had a bunch of aftermarket stuff over the years as they sounded better to my ears. but i do love my ml, specially cause i prefer not to rip up the dash on leased vehicles.
Old 10-17-06, 12:29 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

and you have what info to backup your claims? any reviews? ratings? comparisons? I have heard both in person and unless I see a reputable article/comparison stating otherwise and I am going to say the exact opposite.
B&O doesn't compete with ML. You want to compare a $10,000 ML CD player w/a B&O piece?

Like I said earlier if Audi wanted impressive audio technology they would have turned to Krell, instead they would settle for a well known brand w/no sound quality.

No suprise here, Bose was once their supplier.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 10-17-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 01:43 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

B&O doesn't compete with ML. You want to compare a $10,000 ML CD player w/a B&O piece?

Like I said earlier if Audi wanted impressive audio technology they would have turned to Krell, instead they would settle for a well known brand w/no sound quality.

No suprise here, Bose was once their supplier.
Like I said earlier, show something tangible. Not just more of your rhetoric nonsense. Show me an article, a comparison, a simple chart,...something that can substantiate your claims. I still stand by my claim that the B&O system I heard in the A8 sounds much better than the system in our LS.
Old 10-17-06, 03:22 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Like I said earlier, show something tangible. Not just more of your rhetoric nonsense. Show me an article, a comparison, a simple chart,...something that can substantiate your claims. I still stand by my claim that the B&O system I heard in the A8 sounds much better than the system in our LS.
I have nothing to prove, you have shown your ignorance dealing with audio equipment by comparing B&O to ML.

As long as the board is aware B&O is nothing special I'm happy.

Regarding the A8's B&O audio surpassing the LS430's ML, comparing it to the LS460 is much more reasonable considering the A8 as far as I can tell only recently offered B&O.
Old 10-17-06, 04:57 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Mr. Jones, you are new to this board so I'm sure all of us will cut you a little slack. But as you spend more time here you will find that the attitudes are generally respectful and people at least attempt to back up their opinions with facts.

It is hardly "ignorant" for mavericck to compare B&O to ML, as both are widely regarded as high-end audio equipment. You have your strong opinions, that are clearly not shared by the rest of the buying public as somehow B&O has managed to stay in business for more than 80 years. In addition, 69 automotive journalists recently named the B&O system in the A8 the world's best sound system.

You may think B&O is overpriced, overrated junk but that doesn't mean you have to be immature or spiteful when others disagree with you.
Old 10-17-06, 05:00 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I have nothing to prove, you have shown your ignorance dealing with audio equipment by comparing B&O to ML.

Regarding the A8's B&O audio surpassing the LS430's ML, comparing it to the LS460 is much more reasonable considering the A8 as far as I can tell only recently offered B&O.
So we agree to disagree and I still prefer B&O style mixed with audio performance to an equivalent ML system. B&O is for those who appreciate good sound TOGETHER with good artistic design. Now am I saying the ML system is a bad system, far from it. In fact I think it's one of the best. I just prefer Bang & Olufsen despite the price. It's kind of like comparing watches, sure a digital Timex watch might keep better time but people like the exclusivity and the aesthetics that come with buying a Rolex or Omega. I'm not saying the ML system is the Timex of audio systems either, I was merely implying that sure there might be better sounding audio equipment out there but not many of them combine outstanding audio performance with aesthetics quite like B&O.

Here is a video review by Fifth Gear about the A8's B&O system: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-Utk2XaU10

Last edited by mavericck; 10-17-06 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 09:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which also includes the BOSE system on the new S550.
Old 10-19-06, 09:45 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Just found this while cruising the GS second gen. forum, malfunctioning AMP. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243561

Haven't found anything like that on the Audi forums regarding the B&O system.