Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Mercedes Diesels Ruled Illegal in Five Key States

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 09:08 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New Mercedes Diesels Ruled Illegal in Five Key States

Snafu: New Mercedes Diesels Ruled Illegal in Five Key States

STUTTGART, Germany — The soon-to-be-launched and much-hyped Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec has reportedly failed to meet emissions criteria in the important states of California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont.

Mercedes said its E320 CDI was "the cleanest diesel vehicle in the world," but apparently not clean enough for U.S. regulators.

Despite their popularity in Europe, diesels have never been commonplace in the United States and have a reputation as a technology for big rigs only. But there's a more ecological explanation for the lukewarm reception. Diesel is actually more harmful to the environment than gasoline because it generates more nitrogen oxides (NOx), gases that play a major role in the formation of acid rain and haze.

It is no wonder, then, that many U.S. states impose strict emissions levels for diesel-powered vehicles. European regulators in turn have begun to demand "NOx traps" for diesel vehicles.

Mercedes-Benz tried to tackle the problem by utilizing a catalytic device that converts NOx to nitrogen. Its Bluetec system, introduced in the Vision GL320 concept shown at the North American International Auto Show in January, injects an aqueous urea fluid called AdBlue into the exhaust system. AdBlue is intended to separate NOx into hydrogen and water.

Despite the setback in the United States, Mercedes has already been using Bluetec-equipped commercial vehicles for some time, and it plans to offer Bluetec-equipped cars in Europe by 2008.

What this means to you: Diesel is more frugal, but presents unique emissions problems for engineers. Sooner or later, it's got to work — Mercedes isn't the only one desperate to get modern diesels, so popular in Europe, into the U.S.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116694
Old 09-05-06, 11:50 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's just B.S!
Old 09-05-06, 07:12 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Then it seems like it sucks to live in one of those 5 states. I'm glad I live in one of the 45 other states that isn't completely retarded.
Old 09-05-06, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Having just returned from Europe, I'm COMPLETELY sold on turbo-diesels. They're smooth, quiet, responsive, and get AWESOME mpg.
Old 09-05-06, 07:44 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
Then it seems like it sucks to live in one of those 5 states. I'm glad I live in one of the 45 other states that isn't completely retarded.
Personally I like where I live. And I don't really like deisels. Thank you very much.
Old 09-05-06, 08:10 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Having just returned from Europe, I'm COMPLETELY sold on turbo-diesels. They're smooth, quiet, responsive, and get AWESOME mpg.
I'm COMPLETELY sold on turbo-gasolines.
Old 09-05-06, 08:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I say good riddance. Last thing I want when I'm stuck in NYC traffic is breathing diesel fumes. At least on the big trucks exaust pipes are roof mounted, so they dont spit the fumes right into your vents, but regular cars are a different story.
Old 09-05-06, 08:14 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Personally I like where I live. And I don't really like deisels. Thank you very much.
Then it doesn't matter what MB or any other manufacturer does... because if you dont like diesels, then they aren't aiming for your business. They are aiming for those that actually want a diesel, or better fuel economy. The states are still stupid for not allowing them....
Old 09-06-06, 08:45 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe Toyota is paying those states off in order to have a monopoly on fuel efficient vehicles because almost everyone knows that a modern turbo diesel engine is more fuel efficient than a gas/electric hybrid and they are also very environmentally friendly when you use the low sulfur diesel like they do in europe or biodiesel.
Old 09-06-06, 08:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

In Mexico City, we have tons of diesels, both cars and trucks, and they pass CA emissions standards down here, so quite surprised at CARB not passing them out in California.

Glad my home state is Florida, where we have no such issues.
Old 09-06-06, 11:30 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mavericck
Maybe Toyota is paying those states off in order to have a monopoly on fuel efficient vehicles because almost everyone knows that a modern turbo diesel engine is more fuel efficient than a gas/electric hybrid and they are also very environmentally friendly when you use the low sulfur diesel like they do in europe or biodiesel.
You're talking as if Toyota doesn't have diesel engines or turbo diesel engines or turbo diesel hybrid engines
Old 09-06-06, 11:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Then it doesn't matter what MB or any other manufacturer does... because if you dont like diesels, then they aren't aiming for your business. They are aiming for those that actually want a diesel, or better fuel economy. The states are still stupid for not allowing them....
if a car makes too much emissions than the law states, it fails, whats the big controversy. If my car fails an emissions test do I say the state is stupid for not passing me. I dont care if youre joe schmoe or mercedes or toyota, you cant pass an emission test then its not allowed period
Old 09-06-06, 12:29 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if a car makes too much emissions than the law states, it fails, whats the big controversy. If my car fails an emissions test do I say the state is stupid for not passing me. I dont care if youre joe schmoe or mercedes or toyota, you cant pass an emission test then its not allowed period
That's fine ... but just don't come demanding better fuel economy when the options are available. If they make the cars, but your state wants to be prudish over emissions laws that are outdated, then the state is stupid for following those rules. We used to have Emissions testing in Florida, and then it was abolished because numerous tests proved that the amount of emissions being produced by vehicles was so negligible that it was no longer cost efficient for the state to mandate it.

Seems like 5 other states didn't get the memo.
Old 09-06-06, 12:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's fine ... but just don't come demanding better fuel economy when the options are available. If they make the cars, but your state wants to be prudish over emissions laws that are outdated, then the state is stupid for following those rules. We used to have Emissions testing in Florida, and then it was abolished because numerous tests proved that the amount of emissions being produced by vehicles was so negligible that it was no longer cost efficient for the state to mandate it.

Seems like 5 other states didn't get the memo.

Amount of emissions produced by vehicles might be neglible, but its not neglible when a car in front of u spitting these fumes right at you, and you have to breathe them. Ever been stuck in traffic behind an old diesel benz?
Old 09-06-06, 12:52 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Amount of emissions produced by vehicles might be neglible, but its not neglible when a car in front of u spitting these fumes right at you, and you have to breathe them. Ever been stuck in traffic behind an old diesel benz?
There is an enormous difference between an old diesel benz and a new one, and when you put biodiesel fuel into on one of the new diesel benz's you will actually want have those fumes coming at you.

Quick Reply: New Mercedes Diesels Ruled Illegal in Five Key States