Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Mercedes Diesels Ruled Illegal in Five Key States

Old 09-06-06, 01:49 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mavericck
Maybe Toyota is paying those states off in order to have a monopoly on fuel efficient vehicles because almost everyone knows that a modern turbo diesel engine is more fuel efficient than a gas/electric hybrid and they are also very environmentally friendly when you use the low sulfur diesel like they do in europe or biodiesel.
Yup, Lexus is in the game too. In Europe, there is an IS220d.
Old 09-06-06, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
That's fine ... but just don't come demanding better fuel economy when the options are available. If they make the cars, but your state wants to be prudish over emissions laws that are outdated, then the state is stupid for following those rules. We used to have Emissions testing in Florida, and then it was abolished because numerous tests proved that the amount of emissions being produced by vehicles was so negligible that it was no longer cost efficient for the state to mandate it.

Seems like 5 other states didn't get the memo.
you call emissions laws "prudish"? Thats pretty funny.
Amounts of emissions that car produce are negligible?

Did you fall on the earth yesterday?
Old 09-06-06, 03:30 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I am very tempted to jump ship and buy an E320CDI. I hate to think about the potential problems I will have with a MB, but the thought of 27/37 MPG from a reasonably quick, luxury vehicle might be too good to pass up. I wish Lexus would follow MB's lead and offer a turbo diesel in all of their models, especially the sedans. The GS450h has great performance, modest gas mileage and a shoe box for a trunk. Give me a new generation turbo diesel in a GS and I'll be forever grateful. Until then, maybe an E320CDI will be my next car.
Old 09-06-06, 03:55 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

America gets more retarded every day
Old 09-06-06, 04:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loveslexus
America gets more retarded every day
Yeah, the responsible States should stop caring about the envirornment and our future so much. What a silly thing.

Old 09-07-06, 12:21 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Yeah, the responsible States should stop caring about the envirornment and our future so much. What a silly thing.

Yes cause hyrbids (and their batteries) will make flowers blossom, kids laugh and blow bubbles, and the grass grow greener..... A diesel engine with biodiesel (good for the environment and the U.S. economy) and perhaps even the low sulfur fuel is more efficient and more environmentally friendly than the hybrids which are being sold in these so-called "environmentally responsible" states. The manufacturing process with which the E-class is assembled is extremely environmentally friendly and nearly all of the vehicle is built with recycling in mind, not so with hybrids (batteries).
Old 09-07-06, 07:08 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
you call emissions laws "prudish"? Thats pretty funny.
Amounts of emissions that car produce are negligible?

Did you fall on the earth yesterday?

No, but I am sure you did. How many cars are out there with ULEV stickers on them? Run a Google search on the amount of cars that are considered ULTRA LOW EMISSIONS VEHICLES and then tell me that I am wrong by my statements. And those laws are prudish and ANCIENT. They haven't been changed to meet the new standards of auto production. Cars nowadays aren't the same as the cars made 20, hell even 10 years ago. Look it up and tell me I'm wrong before you bring the flames!