Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 05:18 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Hey KCCrassh and/or Kaslead,

What is the latest with the Sewell Sirius unit for ML and hooking it up to the Fin? One of you was in contact with some dude on another forum that was maybe going to produce one (cable/attachment) for you. Just wondering and if not..What do I need to do to hook up the Sewell/Sirius unit to my fin??

Not having Sirius and not having a plug and play solution is getting real freakin old.

I know I can use the pill box antenna on the trunk or rear lid and so on, but I don't want to settle for that if I can use the damn fin!

It seems like it my be easier to get NFL and Howard to move to XM than getting Sirius in my freakin Lexus.

Thanks for any more help you can give me/us
Did you see my post here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=331

It takes some work, but it allows you to use the sharkfin. KCCraash has the same setup, although a Lexus dealer fixed his connector.

The guy on the other forum said he could make an adapter, but it would be expensive (parts only were ~280) since he had to buy a wiring harness from Lexus.

So, it can be done, it just requires some parts, tools, and work. There is no plug-n-play solution that I know of for Sirius with the sharkin.
Old 12-08-06, 06:06 AM
KCCraash
Rookie

Originally Posted by kaslead

It takes some work, but it allows you to use the sharkfin. KCCraash has the same setup, although a Lexus dealer fixed his connector.

The guy on the other forum said he could make an adapter, but it would be expensive (parts only were ~280) since he had to buy a wiring harness from Lexus.

So, it can be done, it just requires some parts, tools, and work. There is no plug-n-play solution that I know of for Sirius with the sharkin.
Mine works great. If you are handy with a iron, the easist/cheapest way is to buy the smb connector, (~$4 each, buy spares), cut the existing end off the lead, and solder the new smb connector on. The inner core is typically solder while the outer case is crimp on. This was the route I had planned on taking when the electronics guy at my lexus dealer offered to do it, so he could 'see the sewell-lexus kit'. It was worth it to me just to NOT have to remove all the trunk stuff again. A person could most likely ask car stereo installer type's about doing it, if you had no interest in the iron work and your dealer refused.
Old 12-08-06, 06:42 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

has lexus figured this out yet or is it still a hack job? definitely not looking for the antenna, no ml.
Old 12-08-06, 06:47 AM
KCCraash
Rookie

Originally Posted by uschardcor
has lexus figured this out yet or is it still a hack job? definitely not looking for the antenna, no ml.
If you are asking if Corporate Lexus has a plug and play solution, the answer is no.
Old 12-08-06, 08:17 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

all i needed. do they have ANY plug an play solution? xm? are they still working with sirius or are they dead in the water
Old 12-09-06, 07:28 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaslead

Thanks for your help. Your post with pictures should be in the FAQ section under Sirius. I feel confident enough now to purchase the unit from Sewell.
Old 12-29-06, 03:12 PM
heron5
Driver School Candidate

First off, yes, I have read this entire thread (much of it more than once) and don't think I found this specific question addressed: Has anyone with a 2006 IS (non-sharkfin) with nav. but not ML used the Sewell kit? They have two kits listed (one with ML and one without) The one without is part #PTS31-53070-01. I noticed their site includes installation instructions for the part that is for ML systems, but not for the part that is non-ML, which makes me a little wary about ordering. Anyone?
Old 02-20-07, 05:14 AM
rollinboy
Rookie

Guys, this may be a dumb question but does anyone have pics of the connection from the Sirius unit to the car? If I remember correcty the Sirius unit has an input for Antenna, Power, and an output for the vehicle interface. I assume the Lexus XM solution being PnP hooks right in. What are you doing for Sirius? Do all the same connections exist on that unit as well?
Old 06-29-07, 08:17 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Update.

I FINALY got my integrated Sirius receiver for the NAV/ML system working

I got the unit through Swell Lexus. They sent me the wrong unit the first time. It worked a bit at first, enough to activate the unit but then began to rarely work. It became obvious that the unit did not fit the system so Sewell sent me out a new unit and this one works perfect.

Sewell has now taken this unit off the website as they have run out. Since Lexus has gone the XM route, it is doubtful that receivers to fit the older models will continue to be produced. Why would they? If I'm not mistaken, the receiver I have installed was designed for the ES.