Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's Coming: Dodge to build Challenger concept(update - 6.6L in the works)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 08:30 AM
Yoko
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Omg, I think this was a really good move. It also looks so nice.
Old 07-28-06, 07:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Production 2008 Dodge Challenger identical to concept

Production 2008 Dodge Challenger identical to concept

The exterior of the production 2008/2009 Dodge Challenger will be identical to the concept version, according to Chrysler VP and lead designer Tom Tremont. "You're not going to be able to tell the difference," he told the Detroit News. While Tremont's comments likely relate to the exterior of the car, the interior will also get a lot of attention. "We knew if we screwed this up, we would lose a lot of fans," said Alan Barrington, who designed the concept's interior.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/07/...al-to-concept/
Old 07-28-06, 07:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

6.6-liter Hemi in store for 2008 Challenger?

DaimlerChrysler is working on a 6.6-liter Hemi V8 for the forthcoming 2008/2009 Dodge Challenger, according to Hemmings Motor News. A Chrysler insider reportedly told the publication that company officials want to "come out of the gate" with a "real performance car." Recent reports have indicated the Challenger will be offered with V8 engines only — with perhaps a standard Hemi and SRT variant. Chrysler could be planning a more powerful Hemi to enable it to compete with a top-of-the-line performance version of the Chevrolet Camaro. Back in January, GM's Bob Lutz said Chrysler's 425 horsepower 6.1-liter Hemi was not a concern. "I would just reply that we have a certified 1OO more on tap from the ZO6 engine, should the need arise," he said. Earlier this month, Chrysler announced the Challenger would go into production in 2008.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/07/...08-challenger/
Old 07-29-06, 02:01 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I love how GM talks the talk but has nothing to back it up
Old 07-29-06, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I sorta like it because I'm a muscle car lover but it's too retro for my taste. It looks almost exactly like the old car. That's not a good thing. The old car was a boat. Where's the aerodynamics? This thing will be grabbing the air as it goes along.
I don't quite agree. Some of us today, me included, are tired of the same old droop-noses, jelly-bean shapes, back-sweep headlights, humpback-whale roofs, etc.....
This so-called " aero " stuff is getting stale and old-hat. It's time for something DIFFERENT and refreshing......like this Challenger.

And, like the Mustang, it isn't quite as close to the old car as you suggest. Both the old Mustang and Challenger had chrome bumpers and body graphics that gave them more visual contrast than the solid-orange monotone you see all over on this car.

The body graphics of the new Charger SRT Daytona are probably the closest thing in production today to the graphic look of the 60-70's period....minus the chrome bumpers, of course.
Old 07-29-06, 09:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't quite agree. Some of us today, me included, are tired of the same old droop-noses, jelly-bean shapes, back-sweep headlights, humpback-whale roofs, etc.....
This so-called " aero " stuff is getting stale and old-hat. It's time for something DIFFERENT and refreshing......like this Challenger.

And, like the Mustang, it isn't quite as close to the old car as you suggest. Both the old Mustang and Challenger had chrome bumpers and body graphics that gave them more visual contrast than the solid-orange monotone you see all over on this car.

The body graphics of the new Charger SRT Daytona are probably the closest thing in production today to the graphic look of the 60-70's period....minus the chrome bumpers, of course.
heh, dont get me wrong - love the challenger, and they are doing the right thing.

Of course, in this day and age, aero matters and even yourself often comment a lot about mpg, and wind noise, dont you? :-).

damn nice car tho... as long as Dodge doesnt cheapen out on interior...
Old 07-29-06, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Of course, in this day and age, aero matters and even yourself often comment a lot about mpg, and wind noise, dont you? :-).

You don't have to build jelly-bean aero cars to get a quiet ride....that is nonsense. Would you like to know the smoothest, QUIETEST car I ever drove? A 1969 Lincoln Continental ( my dad worked for Philco-Ford at the time and brought home company cars at night and would toss me the keys to them because, unlike many teen-agers, I could be trusted ). That Continental, style-wise, was as square as a Victorian schoolteacher.....but goodness, what a ride. It was like a cloud in a soundproofed chamber....and felt as heavy as a battleship. Only the Lexus LS430 and some Cadillac limos even come CLOSE....and the LS430 doesn't have the wheelbase the 69 Continental did.

Back to the new Challenger. I agree that I hope the interior isn't cheapened, but even if it is, it can't be any worse inside than the original one was. Except for the nice 3-spoke steering wheel and the fake matte-wood-trim paneling on the dash and console, the 1970-74 interiors were awful. NOTHING fit correctly, and EVERYTHING squeaked and rattled.
Old 07-29-06, 05:20 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Poor execution from concept to production models, too much early press/hype, limited production and too high a price are going to force these cars into rotting in dealers' back lots just like the SSR.

Otherwise, it's pretty neat.

M.