Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford: 'Roof crush' data may go public

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 11:22 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ford: 'Roof crush' data may go public

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...605120393/1148

A Michigan judge said Thursday he will decide in the next few months whether to make public internal documents from Ford Motor Co. and its Volvo subsidiary that have been used in several rollover "roof crush" lawsuits.

The documents show Volvo engineers determined that roof strength is a key factor in passenger safety in rollover accidents, while Ford has taken the opposite view in court cases.
Nice to know the new Camry's roof is stamped out of special high-strenght steel to reduce accident severity, Ford clearly shows a lack of concern.

Crash performance has been improved by adding ultra-high-strength steel (which has to be hot-stamped) to the roof and front and center pillar-and-rocker structures and by designing front-seat mounting structures that transfer side-impact loads across the car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...-camry-se.html
Old 06-02-06, 07:12 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Ford argues release of documents would uncover important proprietary
information." What, that their cars are rolling death-trap P.O.S.?

Oops, did I type that out loud? Oh well. More proof that Ford is the devil.
Old 06-02-06, 07:27 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said before, "At least they circled the problem."

CV
Old 06-02-06, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So what does it matter if the so-called " documents " are made public or not?

Of course stronger roofs will mean greater safety in a rollover.......that is just plain common sense. We don't need a judge to tell us that. But things are not always as simple as they appear.
What has to be kept in mind, though, is that you could get to a point where you run into the law of diminishing returns. If you put more metal thickness into the roof and roof pillars for support, what does that do? Add weight, of course. And, all other things equal, what does more weight up on the roof mean? A higher center of gravity, of course. And what does a higher center of gravity produce? Yes......even MORE of a tendency to roll.

Now...as for the Explorer rollovers, much has been publically documented about the last-generation Explorer suspensions and steering systems, and the Firestone Wilderness tires....I won't rehash all of that here. But what the media did not do a good job of covering was the fact that Explorer drivers themselves played a significant role in that also. Too many times, Explorers were overloaded with people and baggage, towing trailers, and driven too fast on hot road surfaces with too little air in the tires when a simple PSI check and a little common sense might have prevented it. Hot roads, high speeds, low air pressure, and overloaded vehicles are a perfect recipe for tire failure.....especially whan all four are combined. Most tires give you somewhat of a safety margin to allow for error and overlap....the Wilderness tires clearly did not have as much of a safety margin as most other tires did. Tire PSI's were critical on them, and Ford and Firestone could not always agree on what the right PSI was to start with either.
Old 06-02-06, 07:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

SUVs and trucks have lesser roof strength standards than typical passenger cars because SUVs and trucks are considered light trucks. They need to follow the same safety standards as cars its ridiculous

When you have a vehicle with a higher tendency to roll over, a weaker roof, a heavy vehicle which will crush roofs when rolled over, recipe for heavy injuries during a roll over

marshall: well just blindly putting more steel on a roof isnt a great approach I would think most manafacturers would use a higher grade higher strength steel than the one you use for the other parts of the vehicle, just like the camry, or design the roofs members with higher strength shapes as well

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-02-06 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
marshall: well just blindly putting more steel on a roof isnt a great approach I would think most manafacturers would use a higher grade higher strength steel than the one you use for the other parts of the vehicle, just like the camry, or design the roofs members with higher strength shapes as well
I agree that heavier roofs are not necessarily the answer....I made that clear in my post. Higher strength steels, as you suggest may or may not work, depending on their weight.
I think that a good idea would be to simply put in roll bars like in some convertibles. That would form a protective roll cage without adding too much weight...or going to heavier steels.....on the roof.