Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who admits they are/were considering a Toyota Yaris...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 11:19 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather get a Scion than a Yaris. The new Yaris commercials are very cool though!

It really gets your attention and the cars look 'cute' in CGI form. If I lived in a densely populated
city like San Francisco or NYC, the Yaris would be a great cheap car you could park just about
anywhere and not worry about it getting banged up.
Old 05-14-06, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I would rather get a Scion than a Yaris. The new Yaris commercials are very cool though!

There's really not much difference, mechanically, between the Yaris and the Scion xA and xB. Though the body styles differ quite a bit ( especially with the xB ), all four ( the Yaris comes in sedan and hatchback versions ) ride on the same platform and share the ubiquitous 1.5L 106 HP four.....and, unfortunately, the same quirky center-gauge mount.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the Yaris and the Scions is that Scions sell, Saturn-style, with no bargaining on the list price, which of course makes the paperwork much easier in the showroom and a snap for first-time car buyers. You DO bargain, however, on your trade-in, and sometimes with financing if not paying cash.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-14-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 01:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's really not much difference, mechanically, between the Yaris and the Scion xA and xB. Though the body styles differ quite a bit ( especially with the xB ), all four ( the Yaris comes in sedan and hatchback versions ) ride on the same platform and share the ubiquitous 1.5L 106 HP four.....and, unfortunately, the same quirky center-gauge mount.
I was thinking of any of those three for a commuter work car, but I am rather spoiled with all the bells and whistles that I expect from a car, especially leather seats. It's easier to clean up spills on leather: from soda to blood stains, it's a must! If I'm going for a "regular" commuter car, I'd probably get something with a few more amenities, like a used Solara or Camry...
Old 05-14-06, 04:01 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 the Yaris is pretty decent. Purchased the Yaris back in Feb, when the Honda Fit didn't come out yet.....

Old 05-14-06, 04:08 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i was to buy a car in that class
i would opt for the tniy bit more expensive Honda Jazz/Fit

simply because the versatility of the special seats in the Honda
Old 05-14-06, 04:28 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I like this car alot and I just may get one. It was at toyotafest yesterday were CL represented very strong with over 25 cars!!

Here is a pic of a modded Yaris
!
Old 05-14-06, 07:20 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I was very close to buying one, infact, I started a thread on here about it but decided against it. My iS 350 gets decent MPG, certainly not bad enough to justify another car payment.
Old 05-14-06, 10:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the 4-dr hatch was available in the US, then we'd consider it. I'm looking at a Fit, Mazda3, and a Matrix right now. I know they are not exactly in the same category/price but they are the 3. It would be 4 if the Yaris had a 4-dr hatch.
Old 05-14-06, 10:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LexAristo
I like this car alot and I just may get one. It was at toyotafest yesterday were CL represented very strong with over 25 cars!!

Here is a pic of a modded Yaris
!
The Yaris has potential. This one at Toyotafest 2006 was SUPERCHARGED!
Old 05-14-06, 11:28 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

How come Toyota doesn't bring the 5 dr Yaris? h/b in the US?
Old 05-15-06, 12:48 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

+ 1 for the Honda Fit. I think it may very well be the greatest value on the road @ ~ $15,000.

The only thing I don't like about the Fit is that it doesn't come w/ disc brakes even in "sport" trim. It does, however, include either a 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic which is incredible for the money. The performance isn't half bad either. While it's no sports car, it can move to 60 mph in a little over 9 seconds (try that in one of VW's 1.9L TDI cars ... or save time and just add 2 seconds to Fit's time) and combined fuel economy would run close to 35 mpg.

It's a great package. Maybe my next car. I plan to go drive one as soon as I get the chance. You can count on a lengthy review and my impressions when that happens.

M.
Old 05-15-06, 12:59 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
+1 the Yaris is pretty decent. Purchased the Yaris back in Feb, when the Honda Fit didn't come out yet.....

[SNIP]

It still boggles my mind why the U.S. version doesn't have a Tach.... *even* in the MANUAL version.

I took a look at the Honda Fit today. It's not a half-bad decent vehicle either. Couldn't test drive it because this one was already being held for something who put a deposit down. They're going for MSRP. The salesman did let me play inside of the vehicle though and turn it on.

... If that was your Honda Fit. "I'm sorry. I swear I didn't tape a boiled egg underneath the passenger seat."

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-15-06, 03:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I have not yet reviewed the Fit but plan to.
I agree that what I have seen of it so far, though, it does appear to be better than the Yaris in several ways, especially the lack of the Yaris's quirky center-mount speedometer.

Kermee.....to answer your question about why it doesn't have a tach even in the manual version, cars of this class in general ( entry-level 100 HP + / - subcompacts ) are usually bought for economy and not performance, although some young guys like to " tune" or " slam " them.
You will find that most of the cars in this class, not just the Fit, do not come with tachs, especially in the low-cost base versions. Most of the people driving them are not likely to be going around red-lining the engine, though it would be nice to have a tach to keep the engine rpm below 4000 as one should do during break-in. However, if you follow the MPH limits for each gear ( usually given in the Owner's Manual ), you will usually not harm the engine, especially after the break-in........the people who write these manuals put in a certain amount of leeway anyway.
Old 05-15-06, 06:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

rather have a honda fit

1st place: Fit
Highs: Overtly sporty handling, classy interior, quick-witted in all its moves.
Lows: Mediocre rear-three-quarter visibility, no dead pedal.
The Verdict: The go-kart of economobiles.

4th place: Yaris
Highs: Velvety ride, fun shifter, agile around town, best observed fuel economy.
Lows: Too much body roll, cramped rear seat, falls short on directional stability.
The Verdict: A good replacement for the Echo but not a great replacement for the Echo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...a-yaris-s.html

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-15-06 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 06:13 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I deffinitely want a yaris but since i have a Lexus it would be a second car. Ireally think the yaris will outsell the echo by a huge margin.

Quick Reply: Who admits they are/were considering a Toyota Yaris...