Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile's "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 02:14 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I read the paper copy of it last week when the April issue came out....I tried to post it but it wasn't on the webste yet.

Generally a good article. I can agree with the majority of it, but I can't see where the Acura NSX, the Ferraris, The Corvette, or the 300ZX Turbo really had that big a 20-year impact on the auto market. The 'Vette has been around in limited production since the early '50's ( and with high-performance versions since the late 50's ). It did spawn the Dodge Viper but that car has sold in even lower numbers. The NSX has had virtually no impact at all except for a couple of non-sports cars like the Jaguar XJ and Audi A8 that have copied its all-aluminum construction...the Japanese sports cars that followed it did not share its all-aluminum construction or its mid-engine layout ( except the mid-engine MR2 Turbo ). Likewise, Ferraris and their counterparts still sell in very low numbers today despite Michael Shumacher's vicrories, and the 300ZX Turbo, as nice of a sports car as it was, merely shared the rather limited market for high-performance Japanese sports cars with the Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo, the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4, The Dodge Stealth Twin-Turbo, and the Toyota Supra Turbo.......all of these, for various reasons, were completely gone from the U.S. market within just a few years.
When the Nissan 300zx twin turbo came out corvettes porshes couldn't mess with it back in the 1990 It was a force to be reckon with I would love to get my hands on one
Old 03-20-06, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Automobile's 20th anniversary April '06 issue listed their "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever ".

"20 To Remember - Many great cars have come our way over the past two decades, but these twenty had the biggest impact on the automotive landscape."

Acura NSX
BMW M3
BMW M5
Corvette
Chrysler 300C
Chrylser minivans
Ferrari F40
Ferrari F430
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Jeep Cherokee
Lexus LS400
Mazda Miata
Mini Cooper S
Mercedes-Benz 300E (W124 body)
Porsche Boxster
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Porsche 911
VW GTI
Subaru WRX

-----------------------------------

Chrysler 300C
Awful list. Just awful. I'll explain why in a second. Just an AWFUL list.

Old 03-20-06, 03:47 PM
LexFather

1. Acura NSX-Should stay. Now the reason is not b/c it created THE car to have or a new segment or standard. It's b/c this car woke the sleeping Germans and Italians up. You look at Porsche and Ferrari, etc now, the NSX is behind. BUt in 1990, the NSX was way AHEAD at a price the others could only cry about. All aluminum, mind reading handling, Ferrari good looks, great cockpit, nice V-6. And possibly the easiest and most reliable Daily Driver sports car of all time. To see the NSX hang in 2006 with giants, shows how incredible this car is and really made is feasible the Japanese could build a sports car to match the best of them
2 M3-Basically THE 4 person sports coupe to have. The M3 maybe has a record of 18 of 20 in comparisons. STILL the standard. Power, looks, handling, prestige. CSL= sell your son. It continues to get bigger in all aspects and better as well.
3. M5-The 5 person Sports sedan to have. Continues to grow like the M3. Though I htink the current M5 kind of doesn't extend the brand as much outside of having a drooling V-10. Clearly, all others have copied and went after this car as well, and got whooped year after year.
3. Corvette-The AMERICAN car to have for the last what 40+ years. Nuff said. Always a looker, always sporty, always fast, always brutish. THis car today is now just THE best sports car America has EVER made. I wasn'[t there in the past but it was a major car then. When the C5 came out, it reinvented the car and really established it. Lets not forget the ZR-1!!!
4. 300C-No way in hell. To early. Its not like car makers havne't knocked off a car before and sold tons of it. IT is a good car but not GREAT or Class leading or CHANGING anything except maybe being the best AMERICAN sedan. Its outclassed when the foreign cars come into play. The Ford Taurus had WAY MORE of an impact than this car. Other car makers FOLLOWED the Taurus. The 300C FOLLOWS trends.
5. Chrysler Minivans-Yup, key word "minivan". It created it. The competion still has barely now caught up and surpassed. The standard for a LONG time. This car is very deserving.
6. Ferrari F40-Possibly the last true great Ferrari. The last one ENZO personally signed off on. The last one to have no electronics. (Yes Ferrari has their versions of electronics now). OVer 200mph, looks to die for. Carbon Fiber skin. Though, NOT DESERVING to be on this list as the MCLAREN F-1 is the car that should be here. The F-40 now gets beat by the F430 and other current Ferraris. It is no longer a performance benchmark. AFTER 10 YEARS, YOU CAN STILL ARGUE for hte Mclaren. For over 10 years in modern times, no car could eclipse it and today, that is still an arguement. So no to F40, yes to McLaren F1
7. Honda Accord-Hmmmm, I feel if the Accord is on this list, so should the Camry. Both are just too close. And unlike Toyota, Honda was offering I-4 ONLY on the Accord until recently in 1996 or so. I think both DEFINE the family segment. You cannot have one without the other. Maybe the Accord influence is greater as the F&F crowd loves the Accord and mostly avoids the Camry. So we can thank the Accord for almost a perfect family car for sometime now and also the ricers at your local gas station.
8. Civic-Again, can't have a Civic without a Corolla. The Corolla is now the worlds best selling car of all time. The Civic can't come close to claiming that. Again, maybe b/c the F&F crowd loves this car, it is more influential. I don't think it belongs on the list though b/c honestly, no Civic and outside of no ricers, there are plenty of good small cars out there. So no Civic or Corolla.
9. Jeep Cherokee. WRONG WRONG WRONG. SHould read FORD EXPLORER. Ford's first Explorere made the SUV America's new family car. So influential its ridiculous. THe Jeep maybe better offroad but no one goes there. The Explorer has always been the better SUV for the family. What a mistake!
10. Lexus LS 400-Changed the luxury game. No LS 400, luxury cars today would be loud, even less reliable, poorly built, overpriced, underengineered. The LS 400 punched all competitors in the face and kicked them in the nuts. No other Japanese car has been as influential. My goodness, Benz's and BMWs had BLACK BUMPERS!! From engine to audio, the LS changed the game. And continues to do so with the upcoming LS 460
11. Mazda Miata-reinveted the roadster. Remeber the MErcury Capri? Look at where the Miata is today, the best selling roadster of all time. Fun, fun, fun, reliable and just made other car makers make roadsters, thus showing the Miata's influnce. A failed Miata= no Z3, no Boxster, etc etc
and those cars are much more expensive. It even killed Toyota's MR-2!
12. Mini Cooper-Nope, didn't change anything about cars. Just showed people will buy a new Mini. Dind't change a thing. Shouldn't be NEAR this list.
13. Benz 300E-HUH?
14 Boxster-Nope, can u say 911. The 996 was the best selling 911 of all and being watercooled showed people would buy a new 911. Add GT2, Turbo, GT3, 4WS, etc etc its not even close. Hell the 993, 964, the Boxster is nice but the 911 is STILL the sports car to have.

crap tired d

Old 03-20-06, 04:16 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Audi Quattro?!

The car really helped to propel the advantages of AWD into consumers heads. There are more AWD car variants today than ever before and it is because of this car.
Old 03-20-06, 04:45 PM
papachino
Pole Position

nice write up sicklex, but you need to continue . I am in argue about the F40 thought. It is still the only "true" sports car to have because the lack on luxury items such as radios, etc. The McLaren has these items and is a three-seater. The Ferrari to me would seem like it was strictly a track car and the McLaren threw in some items to make it road- worthy. The F40 also has no computers in it for control and etc. It is more fun, but just not as fast. ANd the reviews on the Mclaren's durbalilty aren't all that great, not saying poor, but it isn't worthy of $1 million of what the car cost.
Old 03-20-06, 04:48 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Acura NSX-Should stay. Now the reason is not b/c it created THE car to have or a new segment or standard. It's b/c this car woke the sleeping Germans and Italians up. You look at Porsche and Ferrari, etc now, the NSX is behind. BUt in 1990, the NSX was way AHEAD at a price the others could only cry about. All aluminum, mind reading handling, Ferrari good looks, great cockpit, nice V-6. And possibly the easiest and most reliable Daily Driver sports car of all time. To see the NSX hang in 2006 with giants, shows how incredible this car is and really made is feasible the Japanese could build a sports car to match the best of them
2 M3-Basically THE 4 person sports coupe to have. The M3 maybe has a record of 18 of 20 in comparisons. STILL the standard. Power, looks, handling, prestige. CSL= sell your son. It continues to get bigger in all aspects and better as well.
3. M5-The 5 person Sports sedan to have. Continues to grow like the M3. Though I htink the current M5 kind of doesn't extend the brand as much outside of having a drooling V-10. Clearly, all others have copied and went after this car as well, and got whooped year after year.
3. Corvette-The AMERICAN car to have for the last what 40+ years. Nuff said. Always a looker, always sporty, always fast, always brutish. THis car today is now just THE best sports car America has EVER made. I wasn'[t there in the past but it was a major car then. When the C5 came out, it reinvented the car and really established it. Lets not forget the ZR-1!!!
4. 300C-No way in hell. To early. Its not like car makers havne't knocked off a car before and sold tons of it. IT is a good car but not GREAT or Class leading or CHANGING anything except maybe being the best AMERICAN sedan. Its outclassed when the foreign cars come into play. The Ford Taurus had WAY MORE of an impact than this car. Other car makers FOLLOWED the Taurus. The 300C FOLLOWS trends.
5. Chrysler Minivans-Yup, key word "minivan". It created it. The competion still has barely now caught up and surpassed. The standard for a LONG time. This car is very deserving.
6. Ferrari F40-Possibly the last true great Ferrari. The last one ENZO personally signed off on. The last one to have no electronics. (Yes Ferrari has their versions of electronics now). OVer 200mph, looks to die for. Carbon Fiber skin. Though, NOT DESERVING to be on this list as the MCLAREN F-1 is the car that should be here. The F-40 now gets beat by the F430 and other current Ferraris. It is no longer a performance benchmark. AFTER 10 YEARS, YOU CAN STILL ARGUE for hte Mclaren. For over 10 years in modern times, no car could eclipse it and today, that is still an arguement. So no to F40, yes to McLaren F1
7. Honda Accord-Hmmmm, I feel if the Accord is on this list, so should the Camry. Both are just too close. And unlike Toyota, Honda was offering I-4 ONLY on the Accord until recently in 1996 or so. I think both DEFINE the family segment. You cannot have one without the other. Maybe the Accord influence is greater as the F&F crowd loves the Accord and mostly avoids the Camry. So we can thank the Accord for almost a perfect family car for sometime now and also the ricers at your local gas station.
8. Civic-Again, can't have a Civic without a Corolla. The Corolla is now the worlds best selling car of all time. The Civic can't come close to claiming that. Again, maybe b/c the F&F crowd loves this car, it is more influential. I don't think it belongs on the list though b/c honestly, no Civic and outside of no ricers, there are plenty of good small cars out there. So no Civic or Corolla.
9. Jeep Cherokee. WRONG WRONG WRONG. SHould read FORD EXPLORER. Ford's first Explorere made the SUV America's new family car. So influential its ridiculous. THe Jeep maybe better offroad but no one goes there. The Explorer has always been the better SUV for the family. What a mistake!
10. Lexus LS 400-Changed the luxury game. No LS 400, luxury cars today would be loud, even less reliable, poorly built, overpriced, underengineered. The LS 400 punched all competitors in the face and kicked them in the nuts. No other Japanese car has been as influential. My goodness, Benz's and BMWs had BLACK BUMPERS!! From engine to audio, the LS changed the game. And continues to do so with the upcoming LS 460
11. Mazda Miata-reinveted the roadster. Remeber the MErcury Capri? Look at where the Miata is today, the best selling roadster of all time. Fun, fun, fun, reliable and just made other car makers make roadsters, thus showing the Miata's influnce. A failed Miata= no Z3, no Boxster, etc etc
and those cars are much more expensive. It even killed Toyota's MR-2!
12. Mini Cooper-Nope, didn't change anything about cars. Just showed people will buy a new Mini. Dind't change a thing. Shouldn't be NEAR this list.
13. Benz 300E-HUH?
14 Boxster-Nope, can u say 911. The 996 was the best selling 911 of all and being watercooled showed people would buy a new 911. Add GT2, Turbo, GT3, 4WS, etc etc its not even close. Hell the 993, 964, the Boxster is nice but the 911 is STILL the sports car to have.

crap tired d
Excellent list Sick, but what else is new. The abundance of black bumpers on Lux cars back then still amaze me. Great point about the Audi Quattro Mr. Johnson.
Old 03-20-06, 06:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Perhaps one of the greatest cars out there that ever influenced the game was the Ford Pinto. It woke up most people in a message that said: "dont make the same mistake as we did. Dont build an equivalence of our pinto"
Old 03-20-06, 07:17 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reggiek
WHy the Taurus and the Expedition? Taurus is just an american version of the camry and accord. Expedition is just a bigger explorer.
The Taurus coming out in the mid 80's was a big deal. It had modern styling and heated up the competition in the mid size sedan market. After the Taurus, the Camry and Accord's stepped up their game from smaller sized to mid sized sedans and both later offered V6 power to follow suit. I believe the Camry offered a V6 starting in either 88 or 89. Before the Taurus, the mid sized market was made up of cars like the Chevy Celebrity, Chevy Lumina and such. The Japanese had the Accord and Camry, which were more of larger small sedans than mid sized sedans. Of course we all know that later on in the later 90's, the Taurus was overtaken by Camry and Accord and was never much again.

The Expedition was one of the cars that started the SUV craze. Before it, there was the Suburban which was too long for some that were on the fence. When the Tahoe and Expedition came, they sold a lot of them and opened up the full size SUV market in America. Not a big fan of these SUV's myself, but I think they helped the explosion of SUV's. Before the SUV craze, there were minivans. Arguably, minivans were as popular in the early to mid 90's as SUV's were in the early 2000's.

I could also put in the Lexus RX300 for car based SUV's
Old 03-20-06, 07:51 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

crap tired d
thanks for the write up. I agree with everything except #10 and #11.

#10, My 87 560SEL does not have black bumpers and I don't think Lexus even exist in 1987.
#14. Boxster - mid engine and one of most balance layout. I believe if Porsche offered the same engine options on both models, the Boxster would come ahead.
Old 03-20-06, 07:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep, many enthusiast magazine writers consider the Boxster chassis as the best Porsche ever built
Old 03-21-06, 06:24 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it should fall off the list because its no longer a performance benchmark. It was an 80s car which influenced cars after by setting the very bar it did for 200mph street legal performance. The Mclaren F1 couldn't handle as well as it could move fast in a straight line, so its a rather relative perspective. For the same reason, the McLaren was so popular because of its amazing top speed (before that I'd sooner choose the Jaguar XJ220), which has since been eclipsed quite a few times...and it achieved that with a straight exhaust system (not legal). I think the Bugatti Veyron proved that power in itself is easy to satisfy, turning out a 1,000hp car. I'd say the F40 is very deserving of its spot, not because of its performance, but because of what it did right during the 80s, which is something the McLaren followed up on in the 90s. Had the McLaren predated the F40, I'd sooner give it the spot.
Old 03-21-06, 10:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NSX and F430 may be great cars and marvelous pieces of engineering work, but I fail to see how they "changed the game" of their respective market segments by much.
Old 03-21-06, 12:36 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GStateOM
The Taurus coming out in the mid 80's was a big deal. It had modern styling and heated up the competition in the mid size sedan market. After the Taurus, the Camry and Accord's stepped up their game from smaller sized to mid sized sedans and both later offered V6 power to follow suit. I believe the Camry offered a V6 starting in either 88 or 89. Before the Taurus, the mid sized market was made up of cars like the Chevy Celebrity, Chevy Lumina and such. The Japanese had the Accord and Camry, which were more of larger small sedans than mid sized sedans. Of course we all know that later on in the later 90's, the Taurus was overtaken by Camry and Accord and was never much again.

The Expedition was one of the cars that started the SUV craze. Before it, there was the Suburban which was too long for some that were on the fence. When the Tahoe and Expedition came, they sold a lot of them and opened up the full size SUV market in America. Not a big fan of these SUV's myself, but I think they helped the explosion of SUV's. Before the SUV craze, there were minivans. Arguably, minivans were as popular in the early to mid 90's as SUV's were in the early 2000's.

I could also put in the Lexus RX300 for car based SUV's
Well said. I suppose one could also say the Taurus is the car that saved Ford during a difficult time.
Old 03-21-06, 12:57 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

BTW, I'm surprised the Ford Mustang isn't on the list.
Old 03-21-06, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The NSX and F430 may be great cars and marvelous pieces of engineering work, but I fail to see how they "changed the game" of their respective market segments by much.
the f430 i don't, the nsx i do. it proved that a v6 done correctly can get ahead of ferrari, porsche, and lambo

Quick Reply: Automobile's "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".