Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler Imperial On Track for 2010 Intro

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 01:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

the car could be priced as high as $60,000

HAHHAHAHAAHAH....out of control.
Old 03-19-06, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Well.....not really. I know 60K sounds like a lot of money ( and it is ) , but considering what Imperials cost in their 50's and 60's heydays, that would be the rough equivalent of $60,000 in today's dollars. Though I said in my previous post that I thought the outside looked too much like a Bentley-Rolls, the interior of this car IMO is stunning and might justify at least part of that 60K ( here....take a look ):
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...al-Concept.htm

However, Chrysler-designed vehicles...including the new 300C.....have a history of rather cheap and poor-quality paint, bodywork, trim, and hardware. Time will tell if the Imperial carries on this tradition underneath the surface of that stunning interior.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 01:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

LOL, that's still not bad for a Rolls Royce (NOT)
Old 03-19-06, 01:57 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well.....not really. I know 60K sounds like a lot of money ( and it is ) , but considering what Imperials cost in their 50's and 60's heydays, that would be the rough equivalent of $60,000 in today's dollars. The interior of this car IMO is stunning and might justify at least part of that 60K ( here....take a look ):
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...al-Concept.htm

However, Chrysler-designed vehicles...including the new 300C.....have a history of rather cheap and poor-quality paint, bodywork, trim, and hardware. Time will tell if the Imperial carries on this tradition underneath the stunning interior on the surface.
WOW I LOVE that interior, which is surprising since the vehicle's exterior is so hideous. But I do agree, we'll see it as it is now, wait until production. You'll feel like you're in a Nissan Altima.
Old 03-19-06, 02:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool....they got 4 years to fix that POS design.

What's wrong with it?
Old 03-19-06, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
What's wrong with it?
Well, if you follow our posts, many of us think it is too high, too narrow ( you, of course, are free to disagree), and copies Bentley-Rolls too much...but it is hard to fault that interior, at least on the surface.
Old 03-19-06, 02:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
So it's probably going to be the flagship. I wouldn't want this ugly thing representing who my company is. Of course, with Chrysler, it doesn't really matter at this point; can't get much worse.
I don't understand your comment.
Chrylser is the only American car company that's actually healthy and not ready to colapse.
They are offering hot products that people actually want which GM certainly can't claim.

So how do you figure that Chrylser can't get much worse? Are you only comparing to the likes of Lexus?

The Imperial concept looks incredible even if it is derivitive.
Old 03-19-06, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Chrylser is the only American car company that's actually healthy and not ready to colapse.
They are offering hot products that people actually want which GM certainly can't claim.

So how do you figure that Chrylser can't get much worse? Are you only comparing to the likes of Lexus?

Chrysler is no longer a truly American car company...it is subservient to its Mercedes / Daimler-Benz owners. That's one reason why Plymouth got the axe a few years ago. ( and why we may never see another Road Runner )
Old 03-19-06, 02:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Well, if you follow our posts, many of us think it is too high, too narrow ( you, of course, are free to disagree), and copies Bentley-Rolls too much...but it is hard to fault that interior, at least on the surface.
I've read every post.
What's odd is, that it looks Waaaay better than a Rolls but people are saying it's ugly.
Would people say a Roll's is to high or narrow?

This is a very large car and is designed for significant road presence.
Old 03-19-06, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Would people say a Roll's is to high or narrow?

Some would, of course....some wouldn't. In general Rolls-Bentley products are a little high and narrow for my tastes....especially in a luxury car, but that high stance works extremely well on Subaru Outbacks and other vehicles where you need snow clearance and don't want to strain your back stooping down to get in and out.
Old 03-19-06, 02:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Chrysler is no longer a truly American car company...it is subservient to its Mercedes / Daimler-Benz owners. That's one reason why Plymouth got the axe a few years ago. ( and why we may never see another Road Runner )
Mercedes has nothing to do with Chrysler design and for the most part it's engineering and production.

If Chrysler isn't still an American company, than Mercedes isn't a German company anymore.
They might as well be a "world" company. Mercedes doesn't have an outright ownership. It was clearly a merger.
Old 03-19-06, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes has nothing to do with Chrysler design and for the most part it's engineering and production.

I guess it depends on how you define the so-called "union".

Check out some newer Chrysler products like 300, Magnum, Charger, etc.....and you will find a Mercedes chassis, suspension, and transmission. The new Dodge Challenger concept has a shortened version of that Mercedes-derived RWD platform. In fact, in my review of both the Chrysler 300 and the Magnum R/T, I noted how well the Mercedes-derived underpinnings and transmission performed but also how the cars were stuck with that same old Chrysler cheapness in body, paint, trim, and hardware.
Old 03-19-06, 03:18 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Great, the Imperial, even larger and uglier than the 300C, will probably weigh at least 1000-1500 lbs more too (5000 lbs minimum, the R-class weighs 5500 lbs), and due to all that it will NEED the 5.7L HEMI just to give it the same performance as the 300 Touring V6. The 6.1L version will be needed just to keep pace with a V6 Accord.

Whomever said it was correct that DCX is on much better footing than GM and Ford, but that's only "currently", and analysts have pointed out that their foundations are cracking and that they've lost a lot of momentum. Dealership inventories are extremely high and Chrysler was force-feeding product to them in order to meet their sales goals. The Charger has been a huge disappointment so far, and if this summer we see sustained $3/gal gas that never drops below that, they'll take a huge hit given that their only exciting products are cars with HEMI powered V8s that don't get better than about 20 mpg combined. When you take away the V8s, what does Chrysler really have? Nothing but a bunch of overweight underpowered slugs that still don't get very good mileage. A V6 Accord, Camry, or Altima will all run circles around a V6 Charger and get a lot better mileage while doing it too due to not being 4000 lbs. I think DCX is due a lot of credit for building what a lot of people in this country want that nobody else would build, and they're certainly milking it for all its worth, but I'm not sure how much long-term potential that market has.
Old 03-19-06, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Great, the Imperial, even larger and uglier than the 300C, will probably weigh at least 1000-1500 lbs more too (5000 lbs minimum, the R-class weighs 5500 lbs), and due to all that it will NEED the 5.7L HEMI just to give it the same performance as the 300 Touring V6. The 6.1L version will be needed just to keep pace with a V6 Accord.

Well, in a car of this class you WANT a lot of weight to get a smooth ride and noise isolation. Comfort is the name of the game in a car like this.....it is not meant to be an 1800-lb. go-kart Lotus Elise or a 3-second 0-60 dragster Ferrari Enzo.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-06 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 03:26 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're right. That was more of a personal opinion than factual evidence, sorry.

Yes, good job Chrysler for turning around. You have MB to thank for that. I'm not comparing it to Lexus, I just think the Imperial is ugly. I personally think that everything that Chrysler offers is ugly. I like the interior of the Imperial, but they have a history of visible cost cutting, so I'm expecting to see this in the interior. I just don't really like the fake "status" thing.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Imperial On Track for 2010 Intro